Interesting observation at Target today

Been lurking here for a while, first time poster.  I wasn't sure where to post this, but EOL seemed appropriate.

On my lunch break, I ventured out to a Target about 10 miles away from my work (not in my normal rotation of 3 Targets near me)  and the Lego isle was dead, but a worker was there re-stickering the shelves in the MH/LOTR/Hobbit/DC section.  My mission was to get any lingering VCs they had, which I found one.  As I grabbed it, she took the remaining 2 Ghost trains and threw them in a cart.  Then she grabbed the 1 Goblin King battle and the 2 mirkwood spider sets that were there and threw them in the cart.  I asked her what she was doing with them. She said they were being taken off shelves to make room for the new sets.  I asked her if the last VC I got was supposed to go too, she scanned it and told me no, it was to stay on the shelf.  So grabbed the 2 GT's from her cart and 1 mirkwood, since I haven't got any yet.   I asked her where they were taking them.  She said for now they were going to the back room, and said they'll probably be on clearance in a few months.  I was a bit shocked.  I had no idea they took stuff off the shelf completely and kept potential stock in the back that does not have a place on the shelf.  Also why the GT for MH and nothing else MH?  Also surprised to see the the biggest set for the hobbit being removed.  By no means a sign it's retiring soon, but it's only been out what since Aug/Sept last year?

BTW I looked at the new stickers she put up in place of the sets she took away and they were the new LOTR and DC sets.  Council of Elrond, Wizard attack, the new Man of Steel sets, etc.  I saw her start to unpack the superman sets but I had to get back to work.  I had to take my booty to customer service for the amazon price match and my 5% RC :D

Been lurking here for a while, first time poster.  I wasn't sure where to post this, but EOL seemed appropriate.

On my lunch break, I ventured out to a Target about 10 miles away from my work (not in my normal rotation of 3 Targets near me)  and the Lego isle was dead, but a worker was there re-stickering the shelves in the MH/LOTR/Hobbit/DC section.  My mission was to get any lingering VCs they had, which I found one.  As I grabbed it, she took the remaining 2 Ghost trains and threw them in a cart.  Then she grabbed the 1 Goblin King battle and the 2 mirkwood spider sets that were there and threw them in the cart.  I asked her what she was doing with them. She said they were being taken off shelves to make room for the new sets.  I asked her if the last VC I got was supposed to go too, she scanned it and told me no, it was to stay on the shelf.  So grabbed the 2 GT's from her cart and 1 mirkwood, since I haven't got any yet.   I asked her where they were taking them.  She said for now they were going to the back room, and said they'll probably be on clearance in a few months.  I was a bit shocked.  I had no idea they took stuff off the shelf completely and kept potential stock in the back that does not have a place on the shelf.  Also why the GT for MH and nothing else MH?  Also surprised to see the the biggest set for the hobbit being removed.  By no means a sign it's retiring soon, but it's only been out what since Aug/Sept last year?

BTW I looked at the new stickers she put up in place of the sets she took away and they were the new LOTR and DC sets.  Council of Elrond, Wizard attack, the new Man of Steel sets, etc.  I saw her start to unpack the superman sets but I had to get back to work.  I had to take my booty to customer service for the amazon price match and my 5% RC :D

Welcome!

Does Target always match Amazon prices? Is there a limit?

Welcome to the site. That is a very odd and disconcerting story, my friend. I'd hate to think that while I'm sniffing out clearance deals, target has a whole stack of sets collecting dust in the back. Seems counter-productive to the whole idea of clearance, as well. Maybe that Target is uniquely weird... As for amazon price matching, I've never had an issue, and I once bought 3 unexpected gatherings in one trip.

Does Target always match Amazon prices? Is there a limit?

I specifically asked one of my "regular" Targets if they match WM and Amazon and was told yes. They even have ipads at guest service so they can look up prices on Amazon.  At this particular Target in my original post, the chick asked me if I had an ad from Amazon (lol).  I told her I could show her on my phone and that was enough to get the match there.  I've yet to be turned down even with multiples.  I even price matched the Forest Police station to Amazon and they still let me have the BOGO 50% off the price matched price. Very nice.  

Out of the 25 or so times I have matched an Amazon price at Target, only once did someone at the counter question whether I could do multiples.

I'm pretty sure he was new and didn't know the price match policies.  At this point, I'm sure many of us on brickpicker are more familiar with Target's policies than most of the workers there.

Out of the 25 or so times I have matched an Amazon price at Target, only once did someone at the counter question whether I could do multiples.

I'm pretty sure he was new and didn't know the price match policies.  At this point, I'm sure many of us on brickpicker are more familiar with Target's policies than most of the workers there.

That 1 person was right to question it.

"Limit of one competitor online price match per identical item, per guest."

https://corporate.target.com/about/shopping-experience/our-low-price-promise#q4070

I've never had a problem though with Target employees not understanding that they are supposed to only give you 1 price match on 1 item. They always seem to happily match whatever I bring to them.

That 1 person was right to question it.

"Limit of one competitor online price match per identical item, per guest."

https://corporate.target.com/about/shopping-experience/our-low-price-promise#q4070

I've never had a problem though with Target employees not understanding that they are supposed to only give you 1 price match on 1 item. They always seem to happily match whatever I bring to them.

It's supposed to be limited to only one price match?!  :blink: I don't see how they could expect to make a profit that way. In any case, everytime I have gone up to customer service they have always price matched everything I had and one time that included around five to six sets so I'm not sweatin' it. It's all good. B)

I specifically asked one of my "regular" Targets if they match WM and Amazon and was told yes. They even have ipads at guest service so they can look up prices on Amazon.  At this particular Target in my original post, the chick asked me if I had an ad from Amazon (lol).  I told her I could show her on my phone and that was enough to get the match there.  I've yet to be turned down even with multiples.  I even price matched the Forest Police station to Amazon and they still let me have the BOGO 50% off the price matched price. Very nice.  

Lucky you...  I just tried to ask them to match their own website and the lady said she can only price matched one and the other one will have to pay full price and there is no BOGO 50%, so I just walked out of there... Will have to try back during day time and see if different people will do it differently.

The likely reason for this is because target is going to hold these for their Summer clearance.  I noticed the same thing.  I check mine every day for new clearance even though I know they typically only do it on Thursdays, but there has been very little clearance up lately, especially for the bigger sets.  Twice a year, target has a big toy clearance sale, once after Christmas and once in the Summer.  They are likely holding those sets for the Summer Toy Clearance.  I don't know why they would do that, but that would be my best guess.  Mine had done the same thing with similar sets, and I also noticed the Mine was puled back as well... Likely to make room for the Lone Ranger sets that are on the shelves now.  I have a feeling the summer clearance is also when we will see Target clear out their Monster Fighter sets since they seem to be late on that as well.

The likely reason for this is because target is going to hold these for their Summer clearance.  I noticed the same thing.  I check mine every day for new clearance even though I know they typically only do it on Thursdays, but there has been very little clearance up lately, especially for the bigger sets.  Twice a year, target has a big toy clearance sale, once after Christmas and once in the Summer.  They are likely holding those sets for the Summer Toy Clearance.  I don't know why they would do that, but that would be my best guess.  Mine had done the same thing with similar sets, and I also noticed the Mine was puled back as well... Likely to make room for the Lone Ranger sets that are on the shelves now.  I have a feeling the summer clearance is also when we will see Target clear out their Monster Fighter sets since they seem to be late on that as well.

Any rough idea of what part of "Summer" that usually happens? June? July? 

It's supposed to be limited to only one price match?!  :blink: I don't see how they could expect to make a profit that way. In any case, everytime I have gone up to customer service they have always price matched everything I had and one time that included around five to six sets so I'm not sweatin' it. It's all good. B)

Yeah, I think the one item limit is rarely enforced, but they have that to fall back on in case they need to. For example, when I had them price match Jabba's Palaces a while back there was a lot of checking and double-checking that when on because of the amount of the price difference. I could see them not wanting to be on the hook for matching 10 of some really expensive item.

Any rough idea of what part of "Summer" that usually happens? June? July? 

It happens in July... Here is a link explaining the clearance times at Target.  At Christmas, my target had a ton of Dino ones as well as cars.  They made it to the 30% phase with a few making it to the 50% off phase 

http://www.allthingstarget.com/2012/06/15/target-70-off-toy-clearance-coming-in-july-2012/

Another likely explanation is that Target is sending them back to the manufacturer for credit instead of discounting some of the larger sets.  Some stores may do that as well.

• Like 1

It happens in July... Here is a link explaining the clearance times at Target. At Christmas, my target had a ton of Dino ones as well as cars. They made it to the 30% phase with a few making it to the 50% off phase

http://www.allthingstarget.com/2012/06/15/target-70-off-toy-clearance-coming-in-july-2012/

Another likely explanation is that Target is sending them back to the manufacturer for credit instead of discounting some of the larger sets. Some stores may do that as well.

Thanks for sharing the link. Lots of info