shipping question

Went to USPS to ship my first sale. I used a walmart box and the guy wouldn't give me the option to ship priority. I had to pay $40 for express (lol) or $10 for ground. I went with ground and contacted my buyer to let them know what was up. The cost calculator doesn't seem to agree with this nor does their FAQ. For future reference should I be able to ship priority mail with my own boxes when their boxes are too small?

Why did the guy say you couldn't use Priority?

He didn't and I didn't know I should push back, I just assumed I did something wrong. But I have been researching it today and I can't find anything to suggest I messed up, hence the question for the pros :) That office is super ghetto, I found a few new ones online I may check out tomorrow but I wanted to finish calcing my shipping costs tonight if possible.

What are the measurements of the box ? Priority Mail has lower weight & size limits than Standard and Express Mail From USPS: Priority Mail is used for documents, gifts, merchandise, and any mailable item weighing 70 pounds or less. The maximum size is 108 inches or less in combined length plus girth (distance around the thickest part).

Spend $25 buck on a digital scale (can be purchased on EBAY) and it will be the best money you have ever spent. You can print labels directly from EBAY and it will deduct the money from your paypal account. You save money, gas, time and you don't even have to leave the comfort of your own home.

What are the measurements of the box ? Priority Mail has lower weight & size limits than Standard and Express Mail

From USPS:

Priority Mail is used for documents, gifts, merchandise, and any mailable item weighing 70 pounds or less. The maximum size is 108 inches or less in combined length plus girth (distance around the thickest part).

18x13x3, weighed 1 lb 12.6 oz. Small set.

Spend $25 buck on a digital scale (can be purchased on EBAY) and it will be the best money you have ever spent. You can print labels directly from EBAY and it will deduct the money from your paypal account. You save money, gas, time and you don't even have to leave the comfort of your own home.

I picked one up today, very helpful. I am going the free shipping route and need to know what I will be paying ahead of time so I can build the cost in. I just need a printer now!

My Post office guys are real chill. I get the weight of my sets from Bricklink and add a little bit to compensate for the box plus packaging material. I always print my labels through ebay and even though I've been a little under on the weight the P.O. ships them out for me anyway. I do need to get me a scale though. Simplifies a lot.

My Post office guys are real chill. I get the weight of my sets from Bricklink and add a little bit to compensate for the box plus packaging material. I always print my labels through ebay and even though I've been a little under on the weight the P.O. ships them out for me anyway. I do need to get me a scale though. Simplifies a lot.

I usually schedule a pick up at my house. But yeah, generally the PO is more forgiving if the label is already printed. I know there are a few times I knew I shorted the shipping a little on accident and it still shipped.

As a general rule it's usually cheapest:

First class under 13oz (usually $1.59-$3 something).

Priority Under 4lbs ($5-$20 depending on weight and zone).

Priority medium or large flat rate boxes if over 4lb and fits in one of those.

Parcel Select anything over 4lb that doesn't ship in a Pri Flat Rate box.

As a general rule it's usually cheapest:

First class under 13oz (usually $1.59-$3 something).

Priority Under 4lbs ($5-$20 depending on weight and zone).

Priority medium or large flat rate boxes if over 4lb and fits in one of those.

Parcel Select anything over 4lb that doesn't ship in a Pri Flat Rate box.

There are also USPS Priority Mail Regional Rate Boxes A, B, C. These are flat rate boxes that can cost less than than Medium/Large Flat Rate depending on distance/zone. These boxes can only be ordered directly from the USPS website and the postage/label for them can only be created/printed online (USPS website or PayPal).