Smooshers, stop wasting your time!

Guest ph4tb0i

This is why as much as it wrecks havoc on my conscience I try to contribute to the problem rather than solving it (e.***. smooshing/buying en masse then returning the ones I don't want unopened). I feel that the more people participate in smooshing the more we can make the problem apparent (especially to Lego regional vendors who stock the minifigs) so that the message goes back to the appropriate channels quicker and more effectively. If we get more people to smoosh, then it might lead to less people buying the minifigs which would mean reduced sales for Lego and for them to re-think their packaging strategy. Of course I still think that us smooshers make up a small, insignificant percentage of buyers for these minifigs. More often than not it's a parent/kid that just throws it into the cart without caring what's inside. On the other hand, I made smooshers out of a set of grand parents and 4 kids looking at the minifigs and me smooshing when I told them the worth of Mr. Gold. Go go human greed! :(

From the responses can I get a clarification on whether members are upset about smooshing in general or people just looking for Mr Gold?

Not sure I really care anymore, personally. I see both sides of it, people going for the opportunity full-speed, and others bothered by the fact that cutthroat tactics are being used.

It's a little bit upsetting to me I guess, not because of Mr. Gold, but because series 10 packs are so run-through that you can't even find one of the regular 16 that you want. I never had that problem with any series previously, but now its hard to even find a Medusa, for my area at least. People are ravaging the displays like tornadoes, and leaving nothing but paintball gunners and baseball players.

I've ordered a few cases, but that's it...I'm done with looking for even the regular 16 in individual packs. Mr. Gold kind of took the fun out of it for the casuals.

From the responses can I get a clarification on whether members are upset about smooshing in general or people just looking for Mr Gold?

My feelings on it are the same as its always been. Smooshing is fine as long as it doesn't constitute to loitering, however what is wrong and shady is buying packs, taking them home to smoosh, then returning them if they are not what you wanted. Ive heard people say that smooshing in the store is the same as buying them taking them home and then returning them, but I disagree. When doing it at the store everyone at the store has the same opportunity as everyone else in that store, but if someone buys every pack then takes them home to smoosh then that takes away from anyone else getting a fair chance. Its almost like oredering a sealed case on ebay and then when your sealed case arrives you carefully open it search all the packs and then seal it back up and try to sent it back or say that something was wrong with it and threaten to file a complaint or something against the seller. My feeling is that smooshing is fine as long as it is done the right way and not a buy and return kinda deal. Just my opinion. If you buy packs and go home then there should be no reason to return them.

It's a little bit upsetting to me I guess, not because of Mr. Gold, but because series 10 packs are so run-through that you can't even find one of the regular 16 that you want. I never had that problem with any series previously, but now its hard to even find a Medusa, for my area at least. People are ravaging the displays like tornadoes, and leaving nothing but paintball gunners and baseball players.

I've ordered a few cases, but that's it...I'm done with looking for even the regular 16 in individual packs. Mr. Gold kind of took the fun out of it for the casuals.

I can understand. A lot of us were afraid this kind of s***storm would happen due to the limited Mr Gold. I typically just buy my 16 minifigures for a complete set in store and I'm fine. A couple of characters I get a few extras of here and there but nothing major. From the looks of things, I honestly wish Lego never came up with that Mr Gold.
  • Like 1

I can understand. A lot of us were afraid this kind of s***storm would happen due to the limited Mr Gold. I typically just buy my 16 minifigures for a complete set in store and I'm fine. A couple of characters I get a few extras of here and there but nothing major. From the looks of things, I honestly wish Lego never came up with that Mr Gold.

I agree. I have a mr gold and even I wish they didn't come up with the idea of it. Granted I got extremely lucky and the only way I got mr gold was from the sealed case I ordered from an honest seller. I mean series 10 hasn't even appeared anywhere in Hawaii yet. The only way I would've gotten a complete set was from a sealed case or buying one off of ebay. I was venting my frustration on the idea weeks before they were released and I knew that all of this was gonna happen. Hopefully lego learns a lesson from this and just sticks to making great minifigure series without any of this extra super rare crap making other figures impossible to find as well.

You guys are lucky you even have the oppurtunity to smoosh. I live in Houston, and here it is May 7 and I STILL havent seen any in stores. My Lego store didnt even have them available when I went for May the 4th! They still had the same bin of series 9 packs theyve had for 3 months. Arrrrgh!

I can sell you sealed complete Series 10 set (16 figs, no Mr. Gold) for $70 shipped. PM me if interested Selling here isn't allowed, plus sets of 16 are available for less than that through ebay. If you're going to be trying to sell directly to members, shouldn't you charge less than ebay since you are avoiding the fees?

You guys are lucky you even have the oppurtunity to smoosh. I live in Houston, and here it is May 7 and I STILL havent seen any in stores. My Lego store didnt even have them available when I went for May the 4th! They still had the same bin of series 9 packs theyve had for 3 months. Arrrrgh!

My Walmarts and Target take a really long time to get these in at all. Heck, either store around me only got Series 9 in around the beginning to middle of April! If it weren't for Five Below, I probably wouldn't have my complete set of Series 9 really.

I don't care what you ask for it, but you can't offer it here. If someone was thinking of buying a set for $70 from Target but I knew they could get it for $60 at Walmart, I'd tell them the same thing.

Understood. I already updated that post and removed any reference to my offer. If I could delete it I would.

I don't smoosh, I gently caress the bags until they voluntarily tell me their contents. It takes a steady hand.

I know you said "steady hand", but now the song "slow hand" is stuck in my head in regards to minifigures. It goes well with the "gentle caressing".

'Cause I got a man with a slow hand

I got a lover with an easy touch

I found somebody who will spend some time

Not come and go in a heated rush

I found somebody who will understand

When it comes to love, I want a slow hand

I don't smoosh, I gently caress the bags until they voluntarily tell me their contents. It takes a steady hand.

Funnily enough that's actually what I do. I don't "smoosh", which I assume is to squash the pieces into the bag until you can make out their shape? I can lightly feel the pieces and identify the give-aways without making the bag look like it's been handled.

I just felt through 3 boxes in my area at Targets/Walmarts. All fresh because I made them take out the boxes from the back (lazy stockers). No Mr. Golds, but I nabbed 9 each of Medusa and Sea Captain.

I don't feel bad about doing it either, because over the next 3-5 days, once the kids get to them, there will be bags torn apart, spare pieces across the shelving/floor of multiple toy isles, and me, not caring.

• 5 months later...

I've been "smooshing" long before Series 10. I smoosh because I want to complete a collection, not looking for Mr. Gold. I've determined on the onset of Series 10's release that I will not find Mr. Gold no matter how often or how fast I can smoosh.

The LEGO store here is silent on the issue of smooshing. One employee even smooshed for the Elf Warrior Archer (Series 3) during his break and said he had already did much of the damage. This other toystore in the same mall that carries CM is also silent, same goes for Walmart and TRU.

Though the Walmart in the area seem to have stopped carrying them, or in very small quantity. They might have realised it's so easy for people to buy them in bulk and would smoosh them in the privacy of their own homes and return unwanted bags.