Has anyone had any luck making offers at retail stores?

My local walmart has some Ghost Trains that have been sitting on the shelf for ages. They are on clearance for 54 right now, which while not being a bad deal, isn't that much below amazon has gone to, when including tax. I am thinking about offering 40 each. Has this worked for anyone? Any advice?

someone said they tried before but I doubt it would work......Walmart is not a flea market lol. Never hurts to ask I suppose, I bet you will hear some very interesting ways of saying "hell no".

I figure that it won't work, it just annoys me when I go to a place and offer them a certain amount for something, and get declined, then go back a few days later and see that they actually sold for less.

The only time walmart typically does that is with open or damaged items. Some stores will do it, but typically it is for high dollar items. For example, I saved a boat load but furniture From lazy boy and appliances from lowes. I went in with cash and made them a cash offer on a set. We haggled but eventually we reached a good number. Not sure it would work with clearance Legos that are on clearance already

I just remembered I did this at Walmart one time and it worked kind of.........a 7965 was red tagged and places in the clearance isle at full price 139.00, I took it to the toy manager and he pretty much laughed at me when I asked for a discount. I then took it to the home and garden section which was where the clearance isle was and asked that dept manager for a discount and she said sure how much do you want to pay for it. I said 90 and she said sold lol. Should have started lower I guess but in was happy with 50 bucks off.

One Walmart in my area refuses to clearance anything, even when damaged, and it's evident when you look at their shelves. They've got a Mines of Moria sitting there that looks like it survived an atomic blast, the front of it is smashed in and there's a big old hole in the side of the box, it looks like someone might have been attempting to steal the minifigs from it. There are also numerous other sets lying there with smashed or heavily creased boxes, all at full MSRP. I was told by a manager of this store that if I purchased the item and it was missing anything I could always "bring it back" for a refund, but no discount. I think they got the idea I was fishing for savings and didn't want to cooperate with it. The best I did was getting a 20% discount at a Target when I bought the last of a Star Wars battle pack they had. The box was dinged up a bit and I asked them if they had more in the back, because I wanted a fresh box because the item was a gift for a kid. They told me it was the last one but issued the discount to compensate.

someone said they tried before but I doubt it would work......Walmart is not a flea market lol. Never hurts to ask I suppose, I bet you will hear some very interesting ways of saying "hell no".

This reminds me of the one time I did ask about a very badly damaged 7676 that was at full retail at Walmart. Here is the dialogue.

Me:"Hi. I'm wondering if I could get 40 dollars off of this set? As you can see it is in bad shape and it is in the clearance aisle. What do you think?"

Walmart Manager: "I'm sorry, but we're not a flea market. Have a good day."

She just walks away at that point.

That was the one and only time I've ever asked for a discount.

I think it is hit and miss with retailers. My local K-Mart (now closed) would occasionally deal on items moved to the clearance aisles. Local Target, never, and Wal-Mart, only once on a damaged item already in clearance. Some individual retailers will deal of something has been sitting for awhile. I got a 7868 for cheap as it had long been discountinued from LEGO and there was a layer of dust on the box.