Signature Confirmation? Yay or Nay?

If you're selling through eBay, it is required for items over $250 as part of the buyer protection plan. I've never had to open a case with eBay, but my understanding is that signature confirmation is a hefty piece of evidence in the seller's favor. Still, if you're shipping sets over 100 dollars i think insurance is most important.

I have just started moving some of my larger sets, and I have decided to place a requirement for signature confirmation. Any thoughts on this? Does anyone else?

I don't do it for everything that I sell, I may be too trusting of USPS frankly. But I will add it on for people with low feedback numbers. International I think you pretty much have to do it if you can. Learned my lesson the hard way on a phone I sold one time.

For the price, on a large set in particular, I would think it's worth the tiny hit on your margin.

As already stated, Signature Confirmation is required if the item is over $250 and you want to be protected. If the buyer has low feedback, I would say to get it even on items below that level too because the tracking number doesn't prove that the right person got the item, so if the buyer claims they didn't get the item, you can still lose. I would say to get insurance on higher priced items and if you opt for the ebay insurance option, I think it automatically charges you for Signature Confirmation over a certain value. Signature Confirmation is not an option for International First Class and Priority Mail (not sure about Express, but it costs a fortune).

As already stated, Signature Confirmation is required if the item is over $250 and you want to be protected. If the buyer has low feedback, I would say to get it even on items below that level too because the tracking number doesn't prove that the right person got the item, so if the buyer claims they didn't get the item, you can still lose. I would say to get insurance on higher priced items and if you opt for the ebay insurance option, I think it automatically charges you for Signature Confirmation over a certain value. Signature Confirmation is not an option for International First Class and Priority Mail (not sure about Express, but it costs a fortune).

If you want to ship internationally with signature confirmation, you need to use ups, right? Or is it fedex?

If you get a dishonest buyer nothing will really protect you, since they can and will issue a chargeback from their CC leaving you high and dry. Signature confirmation will, however, go a long way towards assisting you in recovering money from eBay/Paypal by proving you did indeed deliver the item as promised. If the item is over $250 it is required, or else you lose automatically should the buyer open a case.

If you want to ship internationally with signature confirmation, you need to use ups, right? Or is it fedex?

For international, I would recommend that you only use USPS Express Mail, which of course is expensive. That way it is insured, has tracking and a signature AND it also relieves you of having to deal with import duties/taxes. A few years ago, I learned the hard way with UPS/FedEx that with an international buyer/recipient, they can refuse to pay the import duties/taxes they are supposed to pay and then the shipping company (FedEx/UPS) will bill you, the shipper.

Maybe that's changed now...

• 1 year later...

I have just started moving some of my larger sets, and I have decided to place a requirement for signature confirmation. Any thoughts on this? Does anyone else?

Sure, just put it in your listing so that people know before hand they have to take off work to wait for a package.

Reviving an old thread....

Does it matter for signature confirmation whether you select indirect or direct? I understand the difference between the options, but I couldn't find anything in eBay's help about their recommendation.

Since the lowest common denominator (USPS) only offers 1 kind of signature confirmation, eBay should not care which type is used when using other carriers.

I use UPS and USPS ,  for worldship I just click on the Delivery Confirmation option and click Signature required for the ones that need it.  If its over $1000 I do Adult Signature Required.  Just my preference on that one.  

Most my USPS ones are done through ebay so it automatically adds the DC on anything over $250 and if I use Dazzle I just click on "signature required" under options.

If I feel sketchy about any individual or any of these new hotel addresses that are popping up more like mentioned a few weeks ago I use it on those as well.  

Theres plenty of ways for a person to get the signature if they are not home.  Just sign the slip they leave and retape it to your door or arange to pick up at the hub.  Yeah its an incovenience to some on the receiving end but its your money on the other end so do as you see fit.

Signature over $250 used to be required - but wasn't that lifted to $750 some time ago? While I can understand that this is nice for the seller, it can be a pain for the buyer. Always make sure the buyer knows and accepts it if you use it. Some people have jobs and might never be at home when the services deliver, and their pickup might be a problem too, depending on timing and distance.

Signature over $250 used to be required - but wasn't that lifted to $750 some time ago? While I can understand that this is nice for the seller, it can be a pain for the buyer. Always make sure the buyer knows and accepts it if you use it. Some people have jobs and might never be at home when the services deliver, and their pickup might be a problem too, depending on timing and distance.

Yes, PayPal changed the requirement to over $750, which is when I use it. Otherwise, DC provides the same seller protections without the potential hassle to the buyer.

When I do send >$750 packages, I let the buyer know at the time of shipment that per PayPal policies, the package will require a signature, so at least they know of the issue before the package arrives.

The first thing I sold on eBay was a $300 book.

I decided to add signature confirmation at the last minute to protect but didn't notify the buyer.

After a few failed attempts to deliver, the book came back to me - then an ITEM NOT RECEIVED case was opened against me by the buyer, who never bothered contacting me first.

It all worked out after that, but I learned my lesson. No doubt it would have been fine if I hadn't wanted the confirmation.

Now I specifically make sure buyers of expensive Lego sets know and agree on the policy before I ship. It's not enough to just include it in the ad.

Good communication above all...