Monster Fighters and Super Heroes sets discounted and red tagged at Wal-Mart

exciter1

I couldn't find any Vampyre Castles even before this clearance thing was mentioned but I did at least find the Hearse, Sea Creature, Mummy, and Werewolf sets to be red tagged and actually on sale. I found a couple of Franky's Lab but it rang up at normal retail. Well a score of 5 out of 7 isn't too shabby I think.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm actually surprised to hear that people are still finding VC's in their cities this late after the start of that clearance. I snagged three VC's on the morning of the 2nd day of the clearance, but by day 3 I couldn't find a single VC at any Wal-Mart withing 35 miles of me (About 8 Walmarts). I guess alot of it depends on your local demographics and how popular Lego is in your area. If something goes on clearance here in my town I have to be on it immediately or it's gone.

Exact same in my area. I snagged one the firth night and passed on a second damaged box. Haven't seen any since then at the 8 walmarts I've visited since.

I'm actually surprised to hear that people are still finding VC's in their cities this late after the start of that clearance. I snagged three VC's on the morning of the 2nd day of the clearance, but by day 3 I couldn't find a single VC at any Wal-Mart withing 35 miles of me (About 8 Walmarts). I guess alot of it depends on your local demographics and how popular Lego is in your area. If something goes on clearance here in my town I have to be on it immediately or it's gone.

There are still tons of Vampyre Castles sitting on the shelves at Wal-Marts around me. I've picked up several, but may pick up a few more over the next several weeks. It's really the demographic of the area I live in more than anything. Folks around here have a hard time dumping cash into higher priced toys.

There are still tons of Vampyre Castles sitting on the shelves at Wal-Marts around me. I've picked up several, but may pick up a few more over the next several weeks. It's really the demographic of the area I live in more than anything. Folks around here have a hard time dumping cash into higher priced toys.

About a month ago, I was passing through Atlanta and hit a Walmart there. The sales lady was marking down a bunch of sets 50-75%... I managed to pick up two castles for $35 dollars and 2 ghost trains for $27. I know it was a fluke that I found this since no other walmart had even started clearancing these sets for the most part... It makes me wonder how long walmart waits before they mark their clearance down again on things like this. I stocked up at 30% but taking even more off would always be a good thing for sure.

About a month ago, I was passing through Atlanta and hit a Walmart there. The sales lady was marking down a bunch of sets 50-75%... I managed to pick up two castles for $35 dollars and 2 ghost trains for $27. I know it was a fluke that I found this since no other walmart had even started clearancing these sets for the most part... It makes me wonder how long walmart waits before they mark their clearance down again on things like this. I stocked up at 30% but taking even more off would always be a good thing for sure.

Lucky, we all are in envy

Yeah, seems like Walmart is such a crapshoot. I complained for awhile about never finding clearance in my area, then one day I walked into a Walmart and found a bunch of Hero Factory for what appeared to be about 50% off. I still didn't buy it (not a fan of this theme and wasn't knowledgeable on it's investment potential) but I'm sure someone got really happy when they saw that. I really need to make friends with a toy manager at one of these stores. It seems they have the ability to make decisions on clearance independent of corporate level markdowns.

• 3 weeks later...

Went to seekonk ma Walmart today--they had 4 castles--2 trains---and a bunch of mummy and scientist sets---all for retail. I even scanned 1 of each to make sure--not a cent off their regular marked prices..on any sets. Also went to 2 kmarts and 2 targets and found a single clearance deal---2 of those Star Wars planet sets for 4 bucks each. Wasted all day driving around---simply can't believe how one store has these things for half price...while most have retail prices. Still looking for a quintet and lowest I found was 55 at Walmart. I thought I was missing something...so found the most often discussed gandalph arrives set at Walmart and target--scanned them expecting to see a fin...nope. 12.99. I give up. There are no deals here in mass/ri--maybe ill try nh when up there in 2 weeks on vacation. While looking over all of these stores...every one of them has plenty of room for new sets---they each had one side of a full aisle for lego. I got to thinking---why would they clearance them---what would they put there? There arent aren't any new lego sets or themes coming out soon are there? Lone Ranger sets were not out---but I doubt they are ordering those. Everyone knows that is going to be a flop. I think this is the mystery of the clearance deal---space. All of of my local stores have ample room for more sets---so why would they clear the old stuff out. I went to the poor sections of town on this trip to try out that theory...but same thing...whole isles devoted to lego. Looks like I need to go farther out to find a place where lego isn't as popular. Yeah right---Arkansas? Wyoming?

Went to seekonk ma Walmart today--they had 4 castles--2 trains---and a bunch of mummy and scientist sets---all for retail. I even scanned 1 of each to make sure--not a cent off their regular marked prices..on any sets. Also went to 2 kmarts and 2 targets and found a single clearance deal---2 of those Star Wars planet sets for 4 bucks each. Wasted all day driving around---simply can't believe how one store has these things for half price...while most have retail prices. Still looking for a quintet and lowest I found was 55 at Walmart. I thought I was missing something...so found the most often discussed gandalph arrives set at Walmart and target--scanned them expecting to see a fin...nope. 12.99. I give up. There are no deals here in mass/ri--maybe ill try nh when up there in 2 weeks on vacation.

While looking over all of these stores...every one of them has plenty of room for new sets---they each had one side of a full aisle for lego. I got to thinking---why would they clearance them---what would they put there? There arent aren't any new lego sets or themes coming out soon are there? Lone Ranger sets were not out---but I doubt they are ordering those. Everyone knows that is going to be a flop.

I think this is the mystery of the clearance deal---space. All of of my local stores have ample room for more sets---so why would they clear the old stuff out. I went to the poor sections of town on this trip to try out that theory...but same thing...whole isles devoted to lego. Looks like I need to go farther out to find a place where lego isn't as popular. Yeah right---Arkansas? Wyoming?

I've heard the East Coast is pretty tough for bargain seeking. There's a guy in Alabama I think who was saying he only buys at 60% off or something ridiculous like that - sounds like the place to go to be an investor. He probably wouldn't appreciate you encroaching on his territory though, lol.

Went to seekonk ma Walmart today--they had 4 castles--2 trains---and a bunch of mummy and scientist sets---all for retail. I even scanned 1 of each to make sure--not a cent off their regular marked prices..on any sets. Also went to 2 kmarts and 2 targets and found a single clearance deal---2 of those Star Wars planet sets for 4 bucks each. Wasted all day driving around---simply can't believe how one store has these things for half price...while most have retail prices. Still looking for a quintet and lowest I found was 55 at Walmart. I thought I was missing something...so found the most often discussed gandalph arrives set at Walmart and target--scanned them expecting to see a fin...nope. 12.99. I give up. There are no deals here in mass/ri--maybe ill try nh when up there in 2 weeks on vacation.

While looking over all of these stores...every one of them has plenty of room for new sets---they each had one side of a full aisle for lego. I got to thinking---why would they clearance them---what would they put there? There arent aren't any new lego sets or themes coming out soon are there? Lone Ranger sets were not out---but I doubt they are ordering those. Everyone knows that is going to be a flop.

I think this is the mystery of the clearance deal---space. All of of my local stores have ample room for more sets---so why would they clear the old stuff out. I went to the poor sections of town on this trip to try out that theory...but same thing...whole isles devoted to lego. Looks like I need to go farther out to find a place where lego isn't as popular. Yeah right---Arkansas? Wyoming?

I think you're WAY underselling the Western theme here. Don't just pay attention to this being a possible crappy Disney film, it's cowboys and indians, which hasn't been in Lego form in over a decade since the last re-release of the mid 90's sets. I haven't seen many of the sales that others have seen, but all my Walmarts here are up to their gills in space, they need to clearance at some point because they have no room for the summer sets. One still has a ton of LotR left, can't wait to see them go on the sale shelf.

I've heard the East Coast is pretty tough for bargain seeking. There's a guy in Alabama I think who was saying he only buys at 60% off or something ridiculous like that - sounds like the place to go to be an investor. He probably wouldn't appreciate you encroaching on his territory though, lol.

I don't mind sharing the wealth. I would agree that the clearance price has to do with amount of space they have. Our local Walmart only has half an aisle on one side for Lego's, MegaBlocks and other brick toys. They have even started putting clearance prices on items on the regular Lego aisle with no markings of them being on clearance. Captain America's Avenging Cycle was $6.50 and Loki's Cosmic Cube Escape was $10 with no markings. Just this past weekend I bought $629 MSRP of Lego for $124.