Lord of the Rings 2013

Is it just me or do some of the 2013 sets look a bit half hearted.

79005 looks ok for a small set.

But 79006 & 79007 look a bit small. The black gate has shrunk and from what I remember there were more than 4 people at the council of Elrond.

The pirate ship looks cool though and not as much as I expected. I wonder which minifig is Peter Jackson :)

I was disappointed by the Black gate and the council as well. But a couple of the other sets look ok. I feel like 3 Black gates together might be sufficient. I was pleased to see the Gandalf vs. Saruman fight scene show up as a small set that many will be able to afford.

The Black Gate in my opinion should have come with a Battle Troll!

I understand making the sets more affordable, but not at the cost of doing them an injustice.

A Mountain Troll would've been great! I'm fairly unimpressed by this years lineup, but TLG nailed the Arwen Fig! It actually looks like Liv Tyler!

I think we might see an Oliphant as a later set perhaps. Black gate does seem a bit smaller than I thought it would be. Might have to upgrade my plans from buying 2 to buying 3 so I can build a proper looking one. I think the value of the minifigs in that set will plummet because of people doing that and selling off the figs. Having a Troll would have been perfect, a real missed opportunity there.

The sets still have to fit certain price points. Yes, we would love for every set to have 12 minifigs and cost $29.99, but that's not real life. Each cycle you're going to see the range of sets, just like every other line. I'm fine with how they came out because if they made every set just like the movie you would have a $100 Rivendell set, a $80 Black Gate, a $40 Wizard Battle, and a $150 Corsair, to mention the Orthanc would come in at around $400. Then you have an entire world of kids ticked off because they can't afford your products. I don't think Lego is getting half-assed on these sets, they're just doing what they need to do to stay in business. I'm happy that this wave has a ton of new minifigs, I think we can all rejoice about that.

The sets still have to fit certain price points. Yes, we would love for every set to have 12 minifigs and cost $29.99, but that's not real life. Each cycle you're going to see the range of sets, just like every other line. I'm fine with how they came out because if they made every set just like the movie you would have a $100 Rivendell set, a $80 Black Gate, a $40 Wizard Battle, and a $150 Corsair, to mention the Orthanc would come in at around $400. Then you have an entire world of kids ticked off because they can't afford your products. I don't think Lego is getting half-assed on these sets, they're just doing what they need to do to stay in business. I'm happy that this wave has a ton of new minifigs, I think we can all rejoice about that.

+1 to this.

I agree that some sets (like the Iron Man 3 ones) are dissapointing to a degree, but I like being able to purchase an entire theme without going broke from the purchase of only one or two sets. Would I like to see more detailed designs? Yes. More characters? Sure. Would I be willing to pay the higher costs on a daily basis? Not really. Lego has to work within limits and reason so I applaud them for creating designs that work within those boundries. Besides, I could always use the parts I bought to build the detailed MOC I want anyway afterwards.

This is true, but if they are really retiring Helm's Deep seems like Black Gate could have been a replacement at that price point, which they don't have with the Hobbit sets either.

Interesting, those prices you mention above, are actually very close to what will be charged in the EU market.

A mumakil made with customs body parts and one of those battle awnings should be released as a set.

If they have to make custom body parts for just one set, which may few relatively few units, it may not be profitable.

Didnt they make same custom parts for Rancor and jabba and countless others?

True, but isn't Jabba over more than one set? Think the rancor is unique. But I suspect Star Wars theme is a higher seller the LOTR one.

Yes Star Wars theme overall is better seller than LOTR theme, but is Rancor Pit better seller than lets say Helm's Deep? That would be a worthy comparison then, not hundreds of sets vs what 5 or 6 LOTR sets?

If LOTR would sell as good as Star Wars with 6 sets I would be worried for Star Wars continuation lol

Fact is many molds were used only once in sets and there is no perfect reason why it should not happen with Olifont...

I always had impressions Jabba came in different variations but I might be wrong never checked it, but I am sure about Rancor and even then that Wampa cave on Hoth you know that beast who took Anakin to the cave.

Ok, I was thinking relatively. I suspect 10 years down the track, SW to outsell LOTR. Thinking about it I can think some city sets that had large unique pieces. Like 7734. Of course it does depend on how much it actually costs TLG to produce a unique piece. I'm sure they have achieved some economies of scale but I suspect these parts will be more costly than a 2x4 brick. Well that's the first time I have used the phrase " economies of scale" in about 20 years.

Ok, I was thinking relatively. I suspect 10 years down the track, SW to outsell LOTR.

Thinking about it I can think some city sets that had large unique pieces. Like 7734. Of course it does depend on how much it actually costs TLG to produce a unique piece. I'm sure they have achieved some economies of scale but I suspect these parts will be more costly than a 2x4 brick.

Well that's the first time I have used the phrase " economies of scale" in about 20 years.

Yeh ofcourse SW will outsell LOTR 10 or whatever years down the road, but that is mainly due to the fact that

1. Star Wars has how much more sets than LOTR will ever have(i hope not but lets be realistic)

2. Star Wars has Battle packs, something LOTR will never have (I hope not but contract is contract)

I agree with you about the costs... But overall I want Olifont more than I want Minas Tirith, and being a Gondor fan that says alot... I just know LEGO will never do Mians Tirith any justice for my eyes, since if I would design Minas Tirith it would be 800-1000$ set with 8.000 pieces and atleast 20 minifigs

So ye haradrim/easterlings/men of Rhun with Olifont is my biggest wish with a good Uruk-hai type of set for Gondorian soldiers/ithilien rangers

I agree, SW is an expanding universe so there will always be opportunties to design new sets. Especially post 2015. The LOTR will be finite, I estimate the theme will last no longer than the Harry Potter one; around 10 years. Which is still a long time for any Lego theme. This is good news for us investors of course as limited supply should mean higher prices in the EOL market. This is why I have not yet bought any Star Wars sets. There are loads to choose from and even the large ones seem to available in great numbers on the secondary markets. I should ahve bought the limited edition (not lego) set of Minas Tirith that the released with the 2004 DVD. Its worth hundreds now. If they can't do Minas Tirith, what about a large version of Edoras?

I agree, SW is an expanding universe so there will always be opportunties to design new sets. Especially post 2015.

The LOTR will be finite, I estimate the theme will last no longer than the Harry Potter one; around 10 years. Which is still a long time for any Lego theme.

This is good news for us investors of course as limited supply should mean higher prices in the EOL market. This is why I have not yet bought any Star Wars sets. There are loads to choose from and even the large ones seem to available in great numbers on the secondary markets.

I should ahve bought the limited edition (not lego) set of Minas Tirith that the released with the 2004 DVD. Its worth hundreds now.

If they can't do Minas Tirith, what about a large version of Edoras?

Problem with Both Edoras and Minas Tirith I see in fact that both are built on a hill/mountain and so LEGO would only have 2 choices

1. Use molded baseplate like on some Castles which would make box even larger than SSD or any we seen before

2. Use bricks BURPs to make Large hill/mountain which would make brick count so high the cost would easily be closing 1000$

I think there is no way LEGO can make Edoras/Minas Tirit any justice as they are shown in the films...

The only way imo that both sets are possible if they split them up and make

Minas Tirith

set 1: Tower of Ecthelion/White tower + Hall of Kings and white tree with garden 300$

set 2: Two rings of wall with Houses of Healing and the giant Rock guard from the citadel (you know where Denethor threw himself down 350$

set 3: The 1st wall of Minas Tirith with the amazing Gates and Grond/Catapults/Siege tower 300$

Edoras

set 1: Hall of Edoras 350$

set 2: 3 small cottages with wooden palisade and small watchtower with gates. 300$

Such sets combined would do atleast some acceptable justice to both Edoras and Minas Tirith but I cannot see them produced EVER.

The fear I have is we will get LAME looking Minas Tirith that I will buy because It will be the only available and still hate it because it will not do enough justice to the scale of the city