10194 - Emerald Night

Legodog

I have a chance to buy up to 10 10194 Emerald Nights at $230 each. What is everyone's opinion. Should I get a couple at that price?

There has to be better buys right now. Not because it won't go higher (it can/will), but it has had a nice move up & there are better (recent or soon to be eol's) that would just make more sense.

There has to be better buys right now. Not because it won't go higher (it can/will), but it has had a nice move up & there are better (recent or soon to be eol's) that would just make more sense.

Agree totally. I would rather put money into a set that hasn't retired yet. I think it's easier to find a set that will go from $100 to $200 than it is for a set that has already appreciated to $200 going to $300.

• 2 weeks later...

Agree totally. I would rather put money into a set that hasn't retired yet. I think it's easier to find a set that will go from $100 to $200 than it is for a set that has already appreciated to $200 going to $300.

If you are going to invest in a train right now, try to find a Maersk Train sealed for around $180-190. That's $40-50 less than a $230 Emerald Night. As I have stated before, I think the Maersk Train has a good chance of surpassing the Emerald Night's value, and would be a much better bang for your buck and ROI when it comes to purchasing an EOL train.

• 2 months later...

Emerald Night for $150

Local deal, I am trying to see if this is a good price, the guide on this set indicates it should be going for around $120 used but I haven't seen a complete one go for that little, those prices may be altered by the amount of people selling partial trains on ebay. I am seeing a lot of people selling the car for $150+, which is absolutely ridiculous if you ask me. I have wanted this one for a while but haven't seen it going for this little, on ebay, the used ones seem to auction up to $200 or so these days. What do you think, is it worth it? Not for investment, simply to build.

Guest ph4tb0i

Buy it before it's too late. I've been monitoring it the last couple of months and picked up 3 complete sets to get the passenger carriages (i.e. so i don't have to pay 150/pop for the passenger cars) and it's been going up in price FAST. I saw at least 2-3 USED Emerald Night auctions go for $200+ the last 2-3 weeks.

• 7 years later...
8 minutes ago, KShine said:

Confession - One of my only regrets was selling this set way too soon.

I don't have many (even though I made 125%+ profit on them) - this was still an absolute regret.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

It does also asks a very difficult question, when is the right time to sell? Most sets do plateu, but I've found it is very difficult to predict this, as some sets can linger on a price for months/ years, and then a new set comes out which makes some people want to buy previous sets etc, or it can go horribly wrong and lego just re-release a set.

People always look back at history with rose tinted glasses, and sometimes forget that they made the right decision at the time with the available facts at hand.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Voltron said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

It does also asks a very difficult question, when is the right time to sell? Most sets do plateu, but I've found it is very difficult to predict this, as some sets can linger on a price for months/ years, and then a new set comes out which makes some people want to buy previous sets etc, or it can go horribly wrong and lego just re-release a set.

People always look back at history with rose tinted glasses, and sometimes forget that they made the right decision at the time with the available facts at hand.

My logic was mostly right (I always look for 100%+, and raise the price going forward), but at the time (2012 or so) I wasn't aware of that special train aspect (trains are magic).

Edited by KShine
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, KShine said:

My logic was mostly right (I always look for 100%+, and raise the price going forward), but at the time (2012 or so) I wasn't aware of that special train aspect (trains are magic).

17 hours ago, KShine said:

21110 RI was my lesson in "Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered." Then I sold Harry Potter Kmart discounts years earlier than I should've.  IMO Emerald informed you of countless smart decisions since. Cheap lesson.