Series 9 CMS "Retiring Soon"

Not a collector though I totally understand why people are into these.

But I would imagine we have a pretty good track record by now... so are these investable? Any money to be made on lets say an unopened box?

I would wait for Series 10 sealed boxes. People will pay big money if they think that they have a chance of getting a "Mr. Gold" figure. It wouldn't hurt to grab a couple of the Series 9 ones, but I think that Series 10 sealed boxes will be worth way more, just like 2007 sets are worth a lot.

Are complete cases available to the general public, or do you have to have a retailers license? I've never seen anyone selling sealed cases except Ebay scalpers.

Typically, if you go to a Target or Walmart or TRU (God forbid), and ask for a sealed box, they will give you one, and they will give you the cost of all the minifigures inside the box. In that case, you can only get these through retailers. Not sure if you can get them from LEGO Shop at Home, even if you order the set box number.

Series 9 has had the "Retiring Soon" tag since mid February which I thought was crazy back then.

Course now with Series 10 roughly three weeks away, that tag really means something!

Many of the CMs are listed at $0.00 in the price guide... strange...

People on eBay do not list these characters consistently. It's a real pain in the rear trying to find them or even at all. If sellers had them listed the same as it is on Bricklink, figuring out their worth would be no problem. But alas, they call the lot whatever the heck pops into their head.

Are complete cases available to the general public, or do you have to have a retailers license? I've never seen anyone selling sealed cases except Ebay scalpers.

I guess you could buy them in bulk from Lego if you had a resellers license. What I have done lately with Series 9 is buy factory sealed boxes from my Five Below store. If you're a good and courteous customer, you may be able to get something like a 20% off discount if you ask politely.

Not a collector though I totally understand why people are into these.

But I would imagine we have a pretty good track record by now... so are these investable? Any money to be made on lets say an unopened box?

I'm not sure how far an unopened box will go for in the long run. I'm sure they can go for a good amount but up to a point. This is one situation where potential buyers may demand proof of Mr. Gold. (I know I would.) The Roman Commander for this series will be a hot one much like his predacessor the Roman Soldier. Track record says that there will be but one of him in a box of 30 (or 2 in a 60).