9397 - Logging Truck

redeemed763

I have one of these stored up for investment, I am thinking of grabbing a few more since I can get them for a decent price at $105. This isn't a big time technic set but it it is still a very large truck with PF included, does anyone have any thoughts on how it will perform? I haven't tracked a lot of these technic sets and since it isn't a piece of standard machinery like a crane or backhoe, I am not sure how to check out comps for it.

I have one of these stored up for investment, I am thinking of grabbing a few more since I can get them for a decent price at $105. This isn't a big time technic set but it it is still a very large truck with PF included, does anyone have any thoughts on how it will perform?

I haven't tracked a lot of these technic sets and since it isn't a piece of standard machinery like a crane or backhoe, I am not sure how to check out comps for it.

Big Technic sets are solid investments. All you need to do is look at how little LEGO or other retailers discount Technic sets and you know you have popular sets.

The same for 9398?

Totally, I am not seeing the need to pick up 9398's as very urgent right now since I know it will be around a while longer. The last several $200 Technic sets have done superb, and anything with PF+ RC functionality does really well. The 9398 has the L motor as well as a special servo in addition to the numerous rare technic suspension and drive train pieces that make it very valuable to collectors and builders.

Totally, I am not seeing the need to pick up 9398's as very urgent right now since I know it will be around a while longer. The last several $200 Technic sets have done superb, and anything with PF+ RC functionality does really well. The 9398 has the L motor as well as a special servo in addition to the numerous rare technic suspension and drive train pieces that make it very valuable to collectors and builders.

thanks

Do you think 9397 too will be around a while longer?

Its been out for a year, so I bet it will be around at least until Christmas, probably longer though. The unimog on the other hand, could very easily go this summer/fall but we will see.

If I had to guess I would say that the Logging Truck will be avialable at least through fall/end of 2014. If any bigger technic set retires this year it will probably be the Unimog, but even it could stay around longer.

• 1 year later...

I have one box sitting right next to me while I'm writing this post. :)

It's not the biggest set of 2012 (the 9398 crawler is) but it still is a big box.

Here are my pros/cons:

Pros:

- The box itself is just breathtaking, awesome front art 8)

- Power functions included

- B-model is ok, because it's very different, and so are the functions:

'>

Cons:

- It's not a yellowish set so it will be not that popular compared to a bulldozer or a crane

- The embedded crane seems really boring to play with because it does open/shut manually :umbrage: and it will be hard to change that (maybe by using a pneumatic function ?)

- There are only one trunk, the "trailer" looks very scrawny, and the pieces used to make trunks are rare:

http://brickset.com/parts/4618633 only used in two sets: this one and a Cars set (Martin)

As stated before I think it will do very well but we will have to wait for at least 2 or 3 years more to make some nice ROI.

I haven't been that impressed with the logging trucks growth.

Honestly, the worst thing that could happen with Technic was more production with every retailer getting them, and then non putting them in BM stores.

In all honestly, I wanted more people to see Technic. Now that its on Amazon I think it is happening some. But maybe TRU is getting less and production isn't that much higher.

Either way, I have been surprised how the bigger technic sets that I thought were winners haven't exploded.

But sitting around and TRU forever doesn't help.

I haven't been that impressed with the logging trucks growth.

Honestly, the worst thing that could happen with Technic was more production with every retailer getting them, and then non putting them in BM stores.

In all honestly, I wanted more people to see Technic. Now that its on Amazon I think it is happening some. But maybe TRU is getting less and production isn't that much higher.

Either way, I have been surprised how the bigger technic sets that I thought were winners haven't exploded.

But sitting around and TRU forever doesn't help.

I don't think Technic sets grow in value very quickly like some other sets do. They climb slowly in value over time. Also, it doesn't help that there are still some in the wild waiting to be bought.

I bought a few of these from Amazon UK when they were cheap and from a few local sources on clearance.  Flipped a few for decent turnover and keeping a couple as part of my portfolio.  Mainly a diversification thing.  I think they have positive potential.  Maybe not spectacular growth but I thnk they'll do ok and a be a set with low supply in the secondary market as being a bit 'under the radar' as most Technic seems to be.