Other Hobbies

tz6p06

45 minutes ago, oneknightr said:

Way to go @TheOrcKing!! That's awesome.

Everything in moderation is key. We don't need to deprive ourselves of all things that are bad for us.

Many thanks. And that is true.

Through cooking I have realized how a meal is prepared can make all the difference besides the ingredients & their proportions regarding health benefits. Also, the importance of diversifying what I consume from day to day. I mean, blueberries are good for the body. However, there is something akin to diminishing returns eating the same thing for days on end without anything else in-between.

Also also, the versatility of the almighty egg. Like, the egg goes into everything (or can pretty much). If I was your neighbor, I would be bumming eggs off you all the time. Haha.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheOrcKing said:

...If I was your neighbor, I would be bumming eggs off you all the time. Haha.

If you were my neighbor, I'd be giving you eggs whenever you needed any. With our 14 chickens and winter coming to an end, the ladies have started laying again. We got a little over a handful of eggs a month during winter but we got 46 eggs over the past week! 

IMG_1993.jpg

• Like 8

On 3/7/2023 at 10:58 AM, oneknightr said:

If you were my neighbor, I'd be giving you eggs whenever you needed any. With our 14 chickens and winter coming to an end, the ladies have started laying again. We got a little over a handful of eggs a month during winter but we got 46 eggs over the past week! 

IMG_1993.jpg

dang...14 chickens where you live?  Hey do you have a D.O. modular for sale by any chance...I have a great local recent AFOL buyer who will pay market...lovely couple and I feel bad I can't sell them my last one (they are OK w/ broken seals...they are builders) 

18 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

dang...14 chickens where you live?  Hey do you have a D.O. modular for sale by any chance...I have a great local recent AFOL buyer who will pay market...lovely couple and I feel bad I can't sell them my last one (they are OK w/ broken seals...they are builders) 

Only a few minutes from where we met when I sold you the UCS Imperial Shuttle. 

I'll check but not sure if I have one. I'll text you if I do.

On 3/7/2023 at 6:47 PM, TheOrcKing said:

Many thanks. And that is true.

Through cooking I have realized how a meal is prepared can make all the difference besides the ingredients & their proportions regarding health benefits. Also, the importance of diversifying what I consume from day to day. I mean, blueberries are good for the body. However, there is something akin to diminishing returns eating the same thing for days on end without anything else in-between.

Also also, the versatility of the almighty egg. Like, the egg goes into everything (or can pretty much). If I was your neighbor, I would be bumming eggs off you all the time. Haha.

Back in 2021 I had 6 weeks off in between jobs and was on vacation for 4 of those weeks. Turns out those few weeks made me put on a few pounds and I decided to do something about it. 

Started looking for a quick and efficient workout and began jumping rope. Lost all the weight i put on and more until I was at my leanest on 20years. Then in apr last year I started indoor rowing, bought my own rower in may and never looked back.

I will hit about 1850km in another two months and have built a rock solid habit/hobby investing time in my health. With a little discipline you can make big changes to your fitness even in your forties. It's never too late. 

Best part is I can eat a ton now and not put on weight, in fact i have to so that i get enough energy for the activities. 

• Like 6

On 3/7/2023 at 1:58 PM, oneknightr said:

IMG_1993.jpg

I wish our 13 would slow down over winter. 3 years later and they just keep plopping them out. And with all the egg boxes I built, they all fight to use what they decided was the "good" one. I've had three of them in the same 1'x1' box, with the third sitting on top of the other two. 

Batch I just cleaned from the week before:

Spoiler

image.png.0d81ff4e9399fc74364eb7da3ae2729c.png

This week's collection:

Spoiler

image.png.abc9917a00965f97761467bd6c556236.png

I blame it on the local farm feed we give them. It looks healthy, but the top ingredient must be steroids. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, brickvoyeur said:

I wish our 13 would slow down over winter. 3 years later and they just keep plopping them out. And with all the egg boxes I built, they all fight to use what they decided was the "good" one. I've had three of them in the same 1'x1' box, with the third sitting on top of the other two. 

Having an endless supply of eggs is definitely not a bad problem to have. 

Our chickens also have a favorite nesting box, and they do the same thing! It's so funny and weird for them to be on top of each other trying to lay at the same time. haha

Edited by oneknightr
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/10/2023 at 3:40 PM, coelian said:

Back in 2021 I had 6 weeks off in between jobs and was on vacation for 4 of those weeks. Turns out those few weeks made me put on a few pounds and I decided to do something about it. 

Started looking for a quick and efficient workout and began jumping rope. Lost all the weight i put on and more until I was at my leanest on 20years. Then in apr last year I started indoor rowing, bought my own rower in may and never looked back.

I remember you mentioned taking up jump rope not that long ago, and the world of difference it was doing for you then. It is good for cardio & coordination. Growing up back in the late 80's/early 90's, my family had a barebones rowing machine. I used it while watching television sometimes as did my mother. No idea what became of the thing. I would not mind getting back into one since you brought it up.

On 3/10/2023 at 3:40 PM, coelian said:

I will hit about 1850km in another two months and have built a rock solid habit/hobby investing time in my health. With a little discipline you can make big changes to your fitness even in your forties. It's never too late. 

Best part is I can eat a ton now and not put on weight, in fact i have to so that i get enough energy for the activities. 

That is incredible progress and a healthy habit to have. I'm not quite forty just yet. But no time like the present to get back into a routine that will do me good before hitting the statistically midpoint of life.

After my change of diet and various spurts of fasting over the course of a little more than a year, I should be in the same boat as you and allow myself to have larger portioned meals for that energy to exercise and just plain function for the day. Main problem still being the balancing act in digesting different dishes throughout the week for proper nutrition and all that jazz.

I suppose I have been doing well so far to give myself credit. "Practice makes better", as they say. And I do feel like a better version of myself.

On 3/7/2023 at 1:58 PM, oneknightr said:

IMG_1993.jpg

I spot about five distinct shades to those eggs which, best of an answer I could find, has to do with genetics making me wonder how many different breeds of chicken you have. I never had the opportunity to raise any of my own (while my mother did on her grandpa's farm long ago), and the only eggs I happen to see are store brought cartons filled with all white or slightly tan. Seeing such natural variance in a batch is fascinating to me.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, oneknightr said:

Having an endless supply of eggs is definitely not a bad problem to have. 

Our chickens also have a favorite nesting box, and they do the same thing! It's so funny and weird for them to be on top of each other trying to lay at the same time. haha

I eat a ton of eggs and they've got more expensive where I live. I'd love to be your neighbour. 🙃 Last year my daughter had her party at a farm and that was the first time i knew that chicken eggs would come in a variety of colours. I was assured that they would taste the same.

3 hours ago, TheOrcKing said:

I remember you mentioned taking up jump rope not that long ago, and the world of difference it was doing for you then. It is good for cardio & coordination. Growing up back in the late 80's/early 90's, my family had a barebones rowing machine. I used it while watching television sometimes as did my mother. No idea what became of the thing. I would not mind getting back into one since you brought it up.

That is incredible progress and a healthy habit to have. I'm not quite forty just yet. But no time like the present to get back into a routine that will do me good before hitting the statistically midpoint of life.

After my change of diet and various spurts of fasting over the course of a little more than a year, I should be in the same boat as you and allow myself to have larger portioned meals for that energy to exercise and just plain function for the day. Main problem still being the balancing act in digesting different dishes throughout the week for proper nutrition and all that jazz.

I suppose I have been doing well so far to give myself credit. "Practice makes better", as they say. And I do feel like a better version of myself.

Jump rope was great initially lost some weight but I was just craving something that was more 'complete'. Rowing is nice in that you need a good mix of cardio and strength both of which are important as you age. I have some kettlebells and also a pull up bar plus rings. Simple equipment but more than enough to give you a solid workout. 

Most of my life I do sports but upon reflecting I realised I didn't have much purpose. I'm very focused on exactly what i want now, that is to keep my body in as best shape as I can as I get closer to retirement age. I have a few friends who are in great shape but even more who have put on a few pounds, weight is one of the most easily modifiable risk factors imho. I've cut down non-social drinking completely too. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, coelian said:

Most of my life I do sports but upon reflecting I realised I didn't have much purpose. I'm very focused on exactly what i want now, that is to keep my body in as best shape as I can as I get closer to retirement age. I have a few friends who are in great shape but even more who have put on a few pounds, weight is one of the most easily modifiable risk factors imho

200% agree with this. 45 years old, dad is 87, and 87 would be much easier for him if he had been focused on fitness in middle age. His struggles have sharpened my focus: Regular Strength training, less than 20% body fat, blood sugar under control. 

you can’t control much, but these things you can. 

• Like 3

• 5 months later...
On 3/7/2023 at 12:01 PM, oneknightr said:

Everything in moderation is key. We don't need to deprive ourselves of all things that are bad for us.

Using what you said here as an excuse to post again (and I generally stink at segueing into things), I do have a relatively guilty pleasure found through baking. Cheesecake. It's simple to make and I enjoy the process. Cream cheese, egg, and sugar. That's basically it minus the crust. Finally found a use for that cake pan I bought so long ago I can't remember where or when. I am still trying to see in what manner I like the dish best though. (Whole egg versus egg yolk, adding some heavy cream versus sour cream, burnt versus mildly crispy, and so on.)

Anyway, I believe to be at a good point where my dietary choices feel normal rather than restrictive. I have found comparable substitutes for things I used to enjoy (in particular anything made with a lot of sugar or corn syrup) and limit my intake on meats & breads in general.

Quitting soda was easier than I thought and I'm fine with that. Last time I had a swig of soda went much the same as beer. "Wow, been a long time since I drank any. How's it taste? .....And there's why I quit." Haha.

Been getting a bit leaner and stronger since last time I posted anything about that. Also, using some weighted straps to make the most of my current weights pushing them further seeing how pricy everything past a certain point has been getting. Ouch. At least my personal body weight has stopped fluctuating as it did for a while there.

One last random note to end on, I finally braved up enough to take a legitimate cold shower (and I do mean cold). With this heat, I figured it would be about the same as jumping into the deep end of a swimming pool. Just a nice relaxing cooldown, right?

....I could have written an entire HBO original series with the amount of expletives ushered forth from me. Holy Jeebus, that was a shock to the system. On the one hand, I was cool. On the other, my "coin purse" disappeared for a while.

My advice, remove the showerhead and start down at the feet very slowly working your way up each leg. When the initial chill has subsided (like wading through cold water I guess) then start spraying the stomach area followed by the chest. Then eventually across the shoulders, down the back and arms. Much less of a shock and a possible session of swearing.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TheOrcKing said:

Using what you said here as an excuse to post again (and I generally stink at segueing into things), I do have a relatively guilty pleasure found through baking. Cheesecake. It's simple to make and I enjoy the process. Cream cheese, egg, and sugar. That's basically it minus the crust. Finally found a use for that cake pan I bought so long ago I can't remember where or when. I am still trying to see in what manner I like the dish best though. (Whole egg versus egg yolk, adding some heavy cream versus sour cream, burnt versus mildly crispy, and so on.)

Anyway, I believe to be at a good point where my dietary choices feel normal rather than restrictive. I have found comparable substitutes for things I used to enjoy (in particular anything made with a lot of sugar or corn syrup) and limit my intake on meats & breads in general.

Quitting soda was easier than I thought and I'm fine with that. Last time I had a swig of soda went much the same as beer. "Wow, been a long time since I drank any. How's it taste? .....And there's why I quit." Haha.

I go the sour cream way, mostly whole eggs (couple egg yolks).  And I prefer a creamy final product vs hardened.  But yeah, surprisingly simple.

I think what helps me kick soda (yeah, I fall off the wagon sometimes) is whenever I have an urge I drink some water first.  Usually kills the urge.

• Like 1

Try making the crust by toasting pecans and then crushing them down to the consistency of graham cracker crust...it adds a nice richness to the crust.  Also, try experimenting with flavored liqueurs to flavor the cheesecake.  I was a bit skeptical at first, but the first time I tasted a cheescake made with Tia Maria, I was hooked.

• Like 2

Just drafted today in one league and another the day after Labor Day. 

I'm not super happy about my team this season, but that may be a good sign since the last few seasons, I felt great after the draft, but then didn't come close to winning. lol

Edited by oneknightr

On 8/26/2023 at 6:48 PM, TheOrcKing said:

My advice, remove the showerhead and start down at the feet very slowly working your way up each leg. When the initial chill has subsided (like wading through cold water I guess) then start spraying the stomach area followed by the chest. Then eventually across the shoulders, down the back and arms. Much less of a shock and a possible session of swearing.

Even if it sucks for the first 10-20 times just go for the shock, because thats what it makes it so healthy.

• Like 1

I started cold showers every morning since Christmas last year, my tap water is about 10-12 C (low 50s). You don't really get used to it, some days I stare at the water and ask myself why I do it.

To be honest after the initial buzz, I think the main benefit for me is the psychological part about overcoming something difficult first thing in the morning. After a while you get less of that high. I went into a lake nearby a couple of times during winter but I find that my body takes too long to warm up and I'm super tired for the rest of the day so I'd rather stick to cold showers. 

3 hours ago, oneknightr said:

Just drafted today in one league and another the day after Labor Day. 

I'm not super happy about my team this season, but that may be a good sign since the last few seasons, I felt great after the draft, but then didn't come close to winning. lol

I've actually been trying to prepare for the draft this year.  Last year I was simply too busy with life and put no time into preparation, and it's amazing how badly the season went.  The draft isn't the whole thing - there's a lot of work to do throughout the season - but things can go a lot more smoothly with a solid draft.  

If there was sufficient interest around here, I'd be happy to put together a Brickpicker league.  Still plenty of time to draft.

• Like 1