3D Printing

Talon

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Just discovered this thread!

First of: The brick pattern in the middle gives me headaches! ;-)

Secondly: In a far far away future they will build HUUUGE 3D-Printers and print frickin' houses for people to life in ;-)

I think 3D printers will be a nice thing (and already are) to have for people who design different stuff to see how it works and if it is ready for production.

For normal people those things won't come in handy for the next 20 years or so (only as expensive hobby if you ask me).

For bricknatics (AFOL) who have some money left this might be pretty cool in order to print out some new bricks.

But I also see how LEGO might loose fans to it, because people will eventually start to design their own ideas and print them. Possible even with knobs/studs so that they can attach their LEGO minifigures ^.^

I wouldn't be suprised if people decide that they love those details they can achieve with 3D-printing instead of LEGO bricks.

Anyhow for the next 20 years I don't see a problem and even later on there is no reason why LEGO cannot coexist.

A far more threatening thing to come is digital media.

There might come a day when you start using your cloud servers and google glasses and whatsoever to build whatever you want in a digital world. No need for actual LEGOs anymore. Costs less money, less space, probably less time as you don't need to look for all those bricks ^^ and to transport your MOC you would only need a USB-OTF Stick. (OTC = of the future :-P )

Guest TabbyBoy

Due to the current rip-off prices for toner and inkjet cartridges, I can't see if ever being economic or worthwhile to print your own bricks unless you need something unusual.  Of course it won't be up to Lego's standards even though their quality is dropping due to inconsistent colours for example.

Due to the current rip-off prices for toner and inkjet cartridges, I can't see if ever being economic or worthwhile to print your own bricks unless you need something unusual.  Of course it won't be up to Lego's standards even though their quality is dropping due to inconsistent colours for example.

Here I must disagree:

I do not think that LEGO's quality is dropping. The way I see it they are striving for even better standards. Right now they are searching for a new and better material for the bricks (though I don't think that they are close yet ;-) )

But all in all (though I didn't do any experiments on that topic!) my impression is the opposite.

Moore's Law will apply to this technology; quality will skyrocket as pricing greatly comes down. The bulk of cost is tied up in R&D; after that is accounted for these machines will be commonplace. It will happen quicker than many think. The first 3D printed car was just produced, and the architecture department at USC is already developing a massive 3D printer that can print a home.

I work in the health care industry, and my favorite application of 3D technology is the printing of a human cornea using the patient's own cells. This drops a corneal transplant patient's chance of tissue rejection to zero percent.

Very cool technology.