10297 - Boutique Hotel

Pseudoty

Not sure if I'm a fan of the color variations separating each level. Each individual level looks appealing but

together seem to make it look busy and lose the "flow".  Could be that it's just a different concept than

we're used to from previous modulars.  The scale of the outdoor area and stairs compared to the rest

of the modular does look a little "weird" as well.

• Like 1

I really like the overall look of the hotel, but I can't help feel that the art gallery has compromised the ground floor. Without it, they could have had the receptionist by / under the stairs, and a café on the ground floor with an awning out to a patio area (with chairs, etc.) where the gallery sits. It might also have allowed for some bathroom facilities for the middle-floor plebeians. LEGO modular designers just seem to have ADHD recently, where they can't design just one building, and instead have to cram something else in even if it doesn't quite make sense (see Brick Bank for the worst example). 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

my initial response was "cool; something different"...but then it turned to it's maybe "too different".

Almost like you need two to complete the 2nd half of the building

I think that this design really looks like the "conceptual" version of a larger build.

I like Lego's recent focus on designing sets for the AFOL community.  However, often times, I find Lego's desire to keep the MSRP manageable somewhat constraining.  10297 looks good but could be a lot more if expanded. 

I think that there's a meaningful revenue opportunity here for Lego.  In addition to selling 10297 as is, Lego should also offer the instructions for an expanded version requiring 2 sets of the standard 10297.  Doing so will most likely prompt me to double my standard modular holding for this set.

This concept of offering "expansion instructions" could be extended to other AFOL-themes as well.

Edited by cambridge02138
  • Like 2

I like it BUT sometimes it would be nice if lego don't feel obliged to tack on a 'side' building all the time. I'd have preffered it if they ditched the art display and the interesting but superfluous angle of the walls, and used those and extra parts to add a restaurant or something to the ground floor, then added to the floors above to add dinky bathrooms to the two mid level rooms, so it was more of a convincing in its function as a hotel. 

Edited by Graphicski
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, eliminator said:

Initial reaction: It's fine.....but I would have rathered they nixed the 'side shop' and invested the parts into the main structure. I'll have to watch some video reviews to make my final judgment. I'm a Modular Buildings collector, so will be buying it eventually.

Therein lies the problem. I've basically committed to buying every future modular building until either I die or The LEGO Group stops making them. My opinion, therefore, doesn't matter. All LEGO has to do is put some technic pins at the side of any building they produce and I start twitching.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

That add-on store on the side looks weird to me.  Those kind of corner buildings (the hotel) usually fill up the whole corner. 

This one looks like it was originally built on a sharper corner then they added a section to the side of the building when the block was restructured

8 hours ago, brickvoyeur said:

image.thumb.png.85fd96818687ca46a15b932a384a6356.png

I enjoy this, but I also didnt start out with GG and go from there. I really just have PR, Palace Cinema, Diner and Garage. I am on the fence about Bookstore and might pass on the Police Station. For me, I know this would get lots of playtime with the kids. Same reason I ended up getting the London Bus before it goes, I find that the more play it gets from my girls, the more I enjoy it. 

This design looks really nice in my opinion, I dont even mind the side shop. 

• Alpinemaps changed the title to 10297 - Boutique Hotel