10297 - Boutique Hotel

Pseudoty

59 minutes ago, Pseudoty said:

Shark was jumped a long time ago with the Downtown Diner. 

I get why some disliked the diner. But I liked the Googie inspired architecture.  That and it resembles a jukebox. This looks lopsided and the palm tree is the focus of attention instead of the building itself. 

6 hours ago, Graphicski said:

I like it BUT sometimes it would be nice if lego don't feel obliged to tack on a 'side' building all the time. I'd have preffered it if they ditched the art display and the interesting but superfluous angle of the walls, and used those and extra parts to add a restaurant or something to the ground floor, then added to the floors above to add dinky bathrooms to the two mid level rooms, so it was more of a convincing in its function as a hotel. 

Agree, the angled walls take away so much potential space.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

Opinions are funny. Because I’m just the opposite. This is the first one I’ve liked in awhile (not a fan of the last two - Police Station and Bookstore)

The last two were more traditional and well boring. I’d include Corner Garage in the boring camp as well. The truth is at $200 this one looks compromised at best. A truly terrible design. 

• Like 1

I like this too. It's different. A lot of these look lame when placed all in a row. This seems reminiscent of the Flatiron building in that it has a funky shape to it to fit the available lot. No one remembers a perfect building just like no one remembers a perfect tree… (at least that's what I tell my wife when I buy trees on clearance)

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Mathew said:

The last two were more traditional and well boring. I’d include Corner Garage in the boring camp as well. The truth is at $200 this one looks compromised at best. A truly terrible design. 

I think Corner Garage is the only set you can swap the top and middle floors without adjustment. Not that you would want to live in the middle floor between a garage and a vet...

The angled walls on the inside are also very cool builds. But Yes, the outside of the building is very much boring in design.

Edited by CosmicSpeed

To me this has a little "Andrew Tate" (snaillad) flair about it from the choice of colors and architectural style. Looks wise I'm not sure how it will fit in the street considering the entirety of the modular line. However I do like this as a standalone certainly. I applaud the odd angle applied to the floorplan and that it actually works. The art gallery is rather miniscule featuring only three exhibits but they are interesting ones. The abstract "painting" on the 2x4 tile I really like. I may want a 'blown-up' version of it for a wall in my room.

3 hours ago, TheOrcKing said:

Looks wise I'm not sure how it will fit in the street considering the entirety of the modular line.

Here are a few options from our girl emmasaures. I wish she tried it with the art studio next to the spring lantern festival I think that has potential. 

• Like 1

I'm amazed people find this set good.  It only looks good from one angle and where the heck did 3,000+ pieces go?  Take away the palm tree and you'd think this was a $160 modular.  Compared next to Assembly Square it looks half the size at 75% the cost.  The magic of Biden Bucks at work.  But "oh, it's different..." 🤮

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mathew said:

I'm amazed people find this set good.  It only looks good from one angle and where the heck did 3,000+ pieces go?  Take away the palm tree and you'd think this was a $160 modular.  Compared next to Assembly Square it looks half the size at 75% the cost.  The magic of Biden Bucks at work.  But "oh, it's different..." 🤮

The more I see it the less I like it. Yes where did those 3000 bits go? I look at our Palace cinema - yes it lacks detail inside - but it's huge and has so much more presence and 'charisma' for half the pieces. 

The minifigs are bugging me now too. Got used to the faces but some have a very 'modern' appearence in clothing that clashes with the otherwise 40s/50s setting of the modulars, including this one. 

Edited by Graphicski

24 minutes ago, dennugsmello said:

Agreed. Take the tree away and it looks much better. 

Curious if our geographical locations play a part in people liking or disliking this set.  That palm tree is more common in the more temperate parts of the world (closer to the equator).  Perhaps people who see those trees everyday think the set look ok because it is normal for them to see palm tree as decoration for a terrace.  Whereas people who rarely see the tree (consciously or subconsciously) think it makes the set look weird.

3 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Curious if the geographical locations pay a part in people liking or disliking this set.  That palm tree is more common on the more temperate parts of the world (closer to the equator).  Perhaps people who see those trees everyday think the set look ok because it is normal for them to see palm tree as decoration for a terrace.  Whereas people who rarely see the tree (consciously or subconsciously) think it makes the set look weird.

Good point.

When I first saw 10297 (together with its palm tree), I immediately thought of Le Negresco, the well known hotel on the beach of Nice, Southern France.

• Thanks 1

• Alpinemaps changed the title to 10297 - Boutique Hotel
1 hour ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Whereas people who rarely see the tree (consciously or subconsciously) think it makes the set look weird.

Yea, fair point, I think that the palm tree is the worst part of the set, but you are right I never see them in my daily life. I also think it clashes with the birch tree from the bookshop. But its just a small gripe overall and easily fixed. I really like the set. I get why people are disappointed by the changes the line is making as they move away from more classic styles of architecture, but I enjoy the variety. 

1 hour ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Curious if our geographical locations pay a part in people liking or disliking this set.  That palm tree is more common on the more temperate parts of the world (closer to the equator).  Perhaps people who see those trees everyday think the set look ok because it is normal for them to see palm tree as decoration for a terrace.  Whereas people who rarely see the tree (consciously or subconsciously) think it makes the set look weird.

Interesting theory.  When the white birch tree first appeared in front of the book store, I was like 'ooo love me some birch!'.  But then again, birch trees are native to my geographical location and a top 5 tree of mine. you might be on to something here.

3 hours ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Curious if our geographical locations play a part in people liking or disliking this set. 

Actually no. I love palm trees. But the palm in this set is distracting to the overall design IMO. It’s like the design team stuck it in there to fill a void. I’d rather have seen the building fleshed out more. 

• 1 month later...