How close are you to running out of storage space?

Im so envious of all you guys who have ample space to place your collections/investments. Here in Southern California everything is so obsurdly priced that its hard to find room. Newer townhomes here range from 400-750k...lol Don't even get started on the cost of detached single family residences! I had to take over my old closet at my parents house and use part of my single car garage for my sets (wife isn't happy about it though haha).

There are likely several reasons. Another reason is that if you look at the houses down here they tend to be less well-built than comparable houses in other parts of the country. Our houses don't really have to stand up to the cold that much, so all we really have to do is figure out how to cool them. This is why our homes are generally way less expensive than those in other parts of the country they have to be built to stand up to more extreme weather. In that type of low-cost market all adding a basement does is really add cost.

Up here in the frozen north, basements were also a way of limiting how much your house shifted during the freeze thaw cycle when foundations were made from stone. Frost goes up to 4' deep during the winter so basements were dug to a minimum of about 6' (I think mine is 7' deep). Nowadays with piles being cheaper and easier to drill, you could do away with the basement but you'd still want to excavate under the slab somewhat to ensure the floor is heater (for floor warmth) and you have some space for expansion.

I have about 60 sets....the problem is that they are big sets, death stars, tower bridges, haunted houses etc............another problem is that I live in an apartment and while its not small by any means (1600 square feet) I have other stuff taking up room. Its time to start looking to buy a house I guess. My ideal home would have a finished basement so I could use it for storage/man cave but here in Texas basements are a rarity. I miss Colorado where 70% of homes have a finished basement.

Just wait a year or so, sell all your sets and you'll probably have enough money to buy a house with more storage places and then start your collection all over again. :)

I've so already run out of room. Course I'm a real 'closet' case when it comes to storage. Heh heh.

The main way I deal with things is use a repeating cycle of "Buy, Stash, Build". I buy the set, then stash it in the closest. When I get a chance to, I take one out, build it for display, let it sit for a while to admire or play around with. And then take it apart, store the parts, and start the whole thing all over again.

Everything I buy is for myself so storage isn't much of a problem, really. I still always need more plastic drawers for parts though!

I pretty much do the same thing. You're not alone in this world TheOrcKing. :)

please excuse my ignorance, but having lived in the frozen north known as wisconsin my entire life, i am curious as to why homes in the south do not have basements? every house up here has one.

I've always wondered that too since I live up in Minnesota where basements are the norm.

please excuse my ignorance, but having lived in the frozen north known as wisconsin my entire life, i am curious as to why homes in the south do not have basements? every house up here has one.

I've always wondered that too since I live up in Minnesota where basements are the norm.

Same here, but if I had to guess, it could be that there is a higher annual rainfall, so if you don't have a basement, you don't have a flood in the basement 'cuz logic!

I know that in California, they don't have basements or many tall buildings because they are right above a fault line where an earthquake could happen. Not sure if there is one in the south, but these are my guesses.

I have quite a few sets under our bed, surprised how much fits in there really. The rest is in a couple of wardrobes. I have a bit of space left but reaching max capacity. That's ok though as I think my inventory from now on will remain fairly stable.

I have quite a few sets under our bed, surprised how much fits in there really. The rest is in a couple of wardrobes. I have a bit of space left but reaching max capacity. That's ok though as I think my inventory from now on will remain fairly stable.

don't forget to stuff them above the ceiling tiles.

Guest AnnexBrett

I have already reached my space limit... Now what?! That's the question since a few weeks... GF's frustration level is 9/10!

Guest AnnexBrett

dump your girlfriend or have her move out. that should triple your closet space right there.

The closet space is long gone...also the den, the pantry, part of the living room... Oh and the bedroom of course! :)

don't forget to stuff them above the ceiling tiles.

Yeah, I don't have tiles but can access the roof via our garage. Have thought about it but it gets extremely hot up there so a bit dubious. Ah well if I run out of room I've already threatened eldest child with having to live in the garden shed :)

Yeah, I don't have tiles but can access the roof via our garage. Have thought about it but it gets extremely hot up there so a bit dubious. Ah well if I run out of room I've already threatened eldest child with having to live in the garden shed :)

Nicer than me!

I have jokingly told my kids I will sell them so I can have their rooms solely for my Lego addiction

(or if they are damaging sets that they aren't allowed to touch!)