Has anyone ever built an old MISB set before?

Blackjack

It's a visibly different shade of grey than it used to be, now known as "light bluish grey" or "light bley". No more classic light grey.

Visual comparison:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47970632@N06/6121056018/

I like the newer bleys better though its probably because I never had the "old grays" in my sets.

It's because we're young bloods. :)

I remember getting some great deals on MISB Aquazone sets on Ebay around 2005 or so--of course, I had to put them together. 1990s boxes were made of thicker cardboard than Lego uses now, and the larger ones included hand-packed "display trays" that allowed the buyer to see the rarest pieces in the set before purchase. Opening a large '90s set like the 6199 Hydro Crystallization Station felt special somehow, kind of like opening an Architecture set today.

The other advantage to opening older MISB sets is that used sets usually pick up some playwear in 15+ years: even if a set is used for display only, white and gray pieces can get sun damage, and plastic canopies can scratch from improper dusting techniques. If you really love an older set, buying MISB is the only way to ensure that you are acquiring one in excellent condition.

I remember getting some diver expedition set for Christmas when I was about 5 that had one of those display trays!

Hey all. Long time visitor here, but I'm ashamed to say a very infrequent poster, mostly due to not being able to keep it short n sweet as you'll soon see.

Anywho, this thread coincides with a really unique circumstance that I think ya'll will find quite cool and interesting (and some will probably be a bit jealous too!).

Now I know they're not retired yet, but they're both definitely old as we all know here on this site. I'm talking of course about the 10221 Super Star Destroyer and the 10188 Death Star. I personally have 3 each, and told myself I would not buy any more, unless I found very step discounts. I got each of mine for between $300-$340 total including shipping.

A little back story to this unique case... The very first set I ever sold on ebay was a used 7965 Millennium Falcon (ship only). Now the weird thing was that the guy wanted it shipped to him completely built, and IN TACT! For those of you who have built this Falcon, you know that it is more or less hollow, and can easily break. Needless to say, I packed it like there was no tomorrow, and I succeeded in getting it to him completely in tact, making him quite happy, and consequently a repeat customer.

Anyways, fast forward to now, and he's bought a handful of other medium to small sized ships from me the very same way, but now, get this... now he wants the SSD and Death Star!!! Shipped completely built!!! The boxes will be gigantic, it will be really funny!

So, I get the absolute joy of opening and building a mint 10221 and 10188 all while making a nice profit! I can't wait, I never thought I would actually get to be able to build these sets. I start building as soon as I get the check! Also, he told me he doesn't need them for a few months, so I will probably leave each one out on display for a few days before I ship it off.

Thanks for reading, but more so thanks for all of YOUR great posts. This truly is a wonderful and insightful forum. Oh, and if you made it this far, sorry for being so long winded and using so many exclamation points!

-PB

Hello and welcome to the forum. I enjoy long and well written posts, we need more of that around here.

On topic...I opened and built a 7191 X-Wing.

Hey all. Long time visitor here, but I'm ashamed to say a very infrequent poster, mostly due to not being able to keep it short ****** sweet as you'll soon see.

Anywho, this thread coincides with a really unique circumstance that I think ya'll will find quite cool and interesting (and some will probably be a bit jealous too!).

Now I know they're not retired yet, but they're both definitely old as we all know here on this site. I'm talking of course about the 10221 Super Star Destroyer and the 10188 Death Star. I personally have 3 each, and told myself I would not buy any more, unless I found very step discounts. I got each of mine for between $300-$340 total including shipping.

A little back story to this unique case... The very first set I ever sold on ebay was a used 7965 Millennium Falcon (ship only). Now the weird thing was that the guy wanted it shipped to him completely built, and IN TACT! For those of you who have built this Falcon, you know that it is more or less hollow, and can easily break. Needless to say, I packed it like there was no tomorrow, and I succeeded in getting it to him completely in tact, making him quite happy, and consequently a repeat customer.

Anyways, fast forward to now, and he's bought a handful of other medium to small sized ships from me the very same way, but now, get this... now he wants the SSD and Death Star!!! Shipped completely built!!! The boxes will be gigantic, it will be really funny!

So, I get the absolute joy of opening and building a mint 10221 and 10188 all while making a nice profit! I can't wait, I never thought I would actually get to be able to build these sets. I start building as soon as I get the check! Also, he told me he doesn't need them for a few months, so I will probably leave each one out on display for a few days before I ship it off.

Thanks for reading, but more so thanks for all of YOUR great posts. This truly is a wonderful and insightful forum. Oh, and if you made it this far, sorry for being so long winded and using so many exclamation points!

-PB

Wow! How awesome, I mean who would've thought. I have to admit I am a bit jealous of you ;) Welcome to Brickpicker!

You know, now I am confused. Cause there are three different shades of gray now, isn't there?

Dark bluish gary, medium (regular?) gray, then light bluish gray.

Or is it four shades of gray now?

Ugh, I can't remember.

I think it is 4 shades. Light and dark of old grey and light and dark of the newer shade.

As long as there aren't 50!!

Sorry, could not resist.

• Like 1

You know, now I am confused. Cause there are three different shades of gray now, isn't there? Dark bluish gary, medium (regular?) gray, then light bluish gray. Or is it four shades of gray now? Ugh, I can't remember.

I think it is 4 shades. Light and dark of old grey and light and dark of the newer shade.

As long as there aren't 50!!

Sorry, could not resist.

I did leave it open for that, didn't I? Good one!

Wow! How awesome, I mean who would've thought. I have to admit I am a bit jealous of you ;)Welcome to Brickpicker!LOL, Polar_Beast has been a member here longer than you and I, Rich B! Anyways, I have not ever gotten a buyer who wanted me to make the set for them. It is a little odd to ask the seller to assemble it for you. Are you going to charge him a "Labor" fee for building it for him?

Hey all. Long time visitor here, but I'm ashamed to say a very infrequent poster, mostly due to not being able to keep it short ****** sweet as you'll soon see.

-PB

Hello and welcome to the forum. I enjoy long and well written posts, we need more of that around here.

On topic...I opened and built a 7191 X-Wing.

Haha, thanks Ed! I too have enjoyed reading many of your, shall we say "thorough" posts and articles, so keep em coming!

Wow! How awesome, I mean who would've thought. I have to admit I am a bit jealous of you ;) Welcome to Brickpicker!

Thanks Rich, read many great posts from you as well. Thanks for the nice welcome!

So you never asked the guy what his reason was for not wanting to build the sets himself?

Great question Studebricker. I do feel a bit guilty about it, but I have not asked him. Mainly because even though we've done a lot of business, he keeps it incredibly short and sweet (unlike me!). He'll usually replies to a 2 or 3 paragraph message with simply an "OK". He's a strange dude, no doubt about. He's a stock broker I think, so I surmise that he has very little time, and just wants to have the ships to display, and buys them when he gets bonuses or something. Strange, right?

Hey all. Long time visitor here, but I'm ashamed to say a very infrequent poster...

LOL, Polar_Beast has been a member here longer than you and I, Rich B! Anyways, I have not ever gotten a buyer who wanted me to make the set for them. It is a little odd to ask the seller to assemble it for you. Are you going to charge him a "Labor" fee for building it for him?

Haha Comicblast. Yeah, as I said right in the beginning, I've been here for a while. I'm just too lazy/busy to post, but I'm trying to change that as you can see!

A side note, which I assume you'll appreciate - been reading the Marvel Civil War series, it's super dope! If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it!

It's a visibly different shade of grey than it used to be, now known as "light bluish grey" or "light bley". No more classic light grey.

Visual comparison:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47970632@N06/6121056018/

I like the newer bleys better though its probably because I never had the "old grays" in my sets.

It's because we're young bloods. :)

True dat.

I'm a classic castle tragic and am currently trying to complete my lion knight/crusader collection. I have a MISB 6039 Twin-arm Launcher http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?S=6039-1 I won on e-bay coming in the next couple of days which will be opened a built as soon as I get it :-) The nice shiney knights will look a bit funny next to the used ones I have ammassed over the years though.....