76240 - Batmobile Tumbler

jaisonline

2 hours ago, brickvoyeur said:

That's all I needed to see to know that there will be plenty more old retired sets being re-released, and that hold times are now just a game of Russian roulette. How many years can you hold before blowing your profits away?

This is the "take home message" IMO

...gotta wonder what forces played into THIS set being 'reissued"?  Yes there are new Batman movies releasing...but it doesn't have the Tumbler...no anniversaries that I am aware of...and it's not like there's been a lot of fans clamoring/petitioning for it recently either.

2 hours ago, brickvoyeur said:

That's all I needed to see to know that there will be plenty more old retired sets being re-released, and that hold times are now just a game of Russian roulette. How many years can you hold before blowing your profits away?

unwelcome scenario: Lego slowly increases reissues (clearly trending that way). Window for flipping still exists but shortens. Bloggers/AFOL's pay more attention to trend and internalize new reality of sets being reissued. Then mass public becomes aware. Slowly, the urge to purchase retired sets is disincentivized as ppl figure they can wait for a possible reissue. Much of the lure of retired sets in the desire to obtain the unobtainable. Not saying demand will disappear, to be clear not saying its game over. Just outlining a scenario where demand for retired sets  incrementally decreases. And of course on the supply side, more resellers than ever means an increased supply. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, keymomachine said:

TIRE NERD ALERT! 😄

Here is a quick backstory to that

I had built my Jeep to handle moderate trails and tires was the last piece of that.  I probably looked at every aggressive tire made and asked my wife what she thought for each model.  Eventually she breaks and says "I don't care, they all look the same to me, stop showing them to me."  Ever since then when one of us is tired of discussing a subject we politely inform the other that "this is becoming a tires conversation" and that's the signal to move on.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, gmpirate said:

limit 20 on Amazon . . .

and still available after 9 hours. Scary even for QFLL

No info on the technic batmobile 42127. Walmart had preorder las t week. Today got email saying preorder delayed to 11/26.

Is it a walmart exclusive? Haven't seen it show up anywhere else.

Edited by vasp

Full disclosure, I didn't buy one. I just mentioned it was the first of the big new sets to go backorder. I bought a HA house but now kinda wish I had bought a T-rex before gone...Doh. none of this is relevant to my investment strategy , I don't lean into QFLL more buy and hold but early buys are purely for enjoyment. IF I added a tumbler to the collection I'd ask about an older one from one of y'all.

15 hours ago, Bricklectic said:

I dont see how those 2 arent correlated. If it sold so well why was there no demand in the aftermarket? It wasnt the most hoarded of sets. I think demand was the issue.....

76023 The Tumbler retired end of 2015. In that year there were multiple website articles saying "Lego investment is better than gold investment", causing a lot of wannabe Lego resellers to join the bandwagon of buying Lego sets just before retirement and reselling them afterwards at a profit. Because The Tumbler was considered a UCS Batman set that was highly unlikely to ever be re-released or remade, and it was only available for 1 year, loads of fresh Lego investors thought it was the holy grail of Lego investment and bought it up by the dozens. And then the disappointment came when the demand for it post EOL was negligent and new investors tried to get rid of it by selling it for RRP. 

It only started to climb nicely in value because Covid brought in loads of new adult Lego fans. Until LEGO decided to surprise us all with a re-issue / remake of the set after all. 

3 minutes ago, HandyHand said:

76023 The Tumbler retired end of 2015. In that year there were multiple website articles saying "Lego investment is better than gold investment", causing a lot of wannabe Lego resellers to join the bandwagon of buying Lego sets just before retirement and reselling them afterwards at a profit. Because The Tumbler was considered a UCS Batman set that was highly unlikely to ever be re-released or remade, and it was only available for 1 year, loads of fresh Lego investors thought it was the holy grail of Lego investment and bought it up by the dozens. And then the disappointment came when the demand for it post EOL was negligent and new investors tried to get rid of it by selling it for RRP. 

It only started to climb nicely in value because Covid brought in loads of new adult Lego fans. Until LEGO decided to surprise us all with a re-issue / remake of the set after all. 

so if current LEGO practices were to apply back then, the sudden popularity of the set would have triggered the Tumbler retirement to be extended....because, contrary to some beliefs, LEGO loves money too.

this set was one of my earlier white whales...I would have been totally stoked at its re-release if I had not already gotten one a couple years back. 

9 minutes ago, HandyHand said:

2015. In that year there were multiple website articles saying "Lego investment is better than gold investment", causing a lot of wannabe Lego resellers to join the bandwagon of buying Lego sets just before retirement and reselling them afterwards at a profit. ...loads of fresh Lego investors thought it was the holy grail of Lego investment and bought it up by the dozens.

2021 has 100x those articles in the new form of blogs, youtube channels, and the like. Just saying...