City 2022

brickvoyeur

4 hours ago, Poncke said:

Is it normal for Lego to retire sets, and before they even have retired, introduce a new set that is practically similar? Why not run the current set longer? 

City theme for 2022 is coming out with fire station and police stuff very similar to what they currently have for sale. Maybe I am missing something, but it probably won't help the value go up on the soon to be retired sets 😭

Your correct.  It definitely limits the Upside potential on these sets.

LEGO does this, though, because a) they hate reseller scum, be b) [probably more important to them] is these are what they call Evergreen sets.  They are always in production, and (again from LEGO's perspective) you have to keep the aisle fresh.  Tommy's mom isn't gonna buy the same set for his brother Timmy, but if it's just enough different, she'll buy it.

5 hours ago, Poncke said:

Is it normal for Lego to retire sets, and before they even have retired, introduce a new set that is practically similar? Why not run the current set longer? 

City theme for 2022 is coming out with fire station and police stuff very similar to what they currently have for sale. Maybe I am missing something, but it probably won't help the value go up on the soon to be retired sets 😭

i'll take the contrarian view.  

bought at 30-50% discount, you can expect reasonable returns.  i have sold both of the last iterations of the fire station and police station for 2.5 x msrp ($250) in early 2020. currently 60110 is going for $400+.  60005 $369. 60141 $260. some of the weird police stations like prisoner island or swamp police station do even better.

the retiring fire builds downtown brigade and fire station are going to do very well.  duplo fire station will also be seriously easy money.  retiring  police station is weaker than previous iterations more like a juniors 4+ set but will still break $200 within a year.   i wouldn't have believed that people would spend 2.5x msrp for a retired fire or police station until i sold a couple dozen. 

i had over 80x Duplo Mickey Minnie Birthday parade trains last year - then they released the exact set + a pluto figure.  i thought i was doomed but they are moving over 3x my buyin over the msrp of the new set.

same with 10812 excavator duplo - it retired i had over 120x.  they re-released the same thing 10931.  i sold my last 3 10812 for $69 today - buyin $15.

i would never have guessed these 2 positions  would work out profitably given the remake.

unless you are talking about an exact remake like creator expert taj mahal i don't think these newer city variants do much damage to prior version price performance.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, cladner said:

i'll take the contrarian view.  

bought at 30-50% discount, you can expect reasonable returns.  i have sold both of the last iterations of the fire station and police station for 2.5 x msrp ($250) in early 2020. currently 60110 is going for $400+.  60005 $369. 60141 $260. some of the weird police stations like prisoner island or swamp police station do even better.

the retiring fire builds downtown brigade and fire station are going to do very well.  duplo fire station will also be seriously easy money.  retiring  police station is weaker than previous iterations more like a juniors 4+ set but will still break $200 within a year.   i wouldn't have believed that people would spend 2.5x msrp for a retired fire or police station until i sold a couple dozen. 

i had over 80x Duplo Mickey Minnie Birthday parade trains last year - then they released the exact set + a pluto figure.  i thought i was doomed but they are moving over 3x my buyin over the msrp of the new set.

same with 10812 excavator duplo - it retired i had over 120x.  they re-released the same thing 10931.  i sold my last 3 10812 for $69 today - buyin $15.

i would never have guessed these 2 positions  would work out profitably given the remake.

unless you are talking about an exact remake like creator expert taj mahal i don't think these newer city variants do much damage to prior version price performance.

where are these $400 buyers for 60110 ? Bricklink has them from around £115 sealed. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
11 hours ago, Mark Twain said:

I adore the Vegetable Truck. For whatever reason the Chicken Coop looks.... holy. I do not know why they "junior"ed the farm though. Outside of the main structure, everything else in that set seems desirable.

1 hour ago, Mark Twain said:

Station is solid, the new cargo train though . . .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Station should look good with the new Passenger express train. 

12 minutes ago, Aup27 said:

Sorry, what is the thing on the tracks? Is that a porta-potty in transit? 

Yes, and you need a ticket ;) 

DA5B841D-3B89-457E-A488-246A5344FF84.png

21ED736C-0246-4B6D-B27F-8474561D4066.jpeg

• Like 1