Recommended YouTube LEGO channels, blogs, websites, etc

ponderingzissou

Looks like duckbricks had similair mistake.

Timeline of events: August 2020 - LEGO announces Braille Bricks as an educational program, not available to the public. June 2023 - I see a post on the LEGO Ambassador Network asking if we are interested in receiving Braille kits, and assume this is referring to the education-exclusive sets announced in 2020 July 2023 - I miss an email stating an embargo date of August 26th (CRITICAL BLUNDER) August 17, 2023 - I receive a package containing the two new Braille Bricks sets from LAN. I mistakenly assume that these sets are the previously-released, education program-exclusive Braille Bricks sets. How did I mess this up? Because these were never consumer-facing, I did not know what the packaging looked like. August 18, 2023 - shortly after posting my video showcasing what LEGO sent me, I was contacted and told I was the source of a major LEGO leak, which initially confused me greatly as I was not even aware that the Braille sets were anything new. I promptly removed the video and any reference to it I could find online. August 24, 2023 - LEGO announces that the Braille sets I received are part of a new program to make the bricks available to consumers, which was unknown to me until this date - and explains why that me posting the box art was a major leak. TLDR I messed up, thought the boxes I received were for the 2020 LEGO Braille Bricks and not a new product, and now am on probation until February :(

5 hours ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

I don’t understand the argument that since he has a family this shouldn’t happen to him. People get laid off, the job landscape changes, etc. and plenty of them have families too. There are no guarantees. 

Looking through his videos most reviews seem to have a similar number of views to his other videos, so I don’t see why the reviews are so important.  If he brought something unique to the review space I’m sure people would still watch, but if he is just another fluffer then I guess it’s more important to be first. 

I get this point, but I think the argument is that LEGO is equally or more at fault. So they are punishing a guy for a mistake they made. Or worse, trying to create controversy at the expense of someone else for what is a hideous and massive failure of a set.

1 hour ago, spener90 said:

I get this point, but I think the argument is that LEGO is equally or more at fault. So they are punishing a guy for a mistake they made. Or worse, trying to create controversy at the expense of someone else for what is a hideous and massive failure of a set.

How did they make a mistake?  He was fully aware that the set was embargoed given that he blacked it out from most of the video...he just messed up and missed a few frames.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, redcell said:

How did they make a mistake?  He was fully aware that the set was embargoed given that he blacked it out from most of the video...he just messed up and missed a few frames.

He blacked it out after finding out I believe.

9 hours ago, Bricklectic said:

Looks like duckbricks had similair mistake.

Timeline of events: August 2020 - LEGO announces Braille Bricks as an educational program, not available to the public. June 2023 - I see a post on the LEGO Ambassador Network asking if we are interested in receiving Braille kits, and assume this is referring to the education-exclusive sets announced in 2020 July 2023 - I miss an email stating an embargo date of August 26th (CRITICAL BLUNDER) August 17, 2023 - I receive a package containing the two new Braille Bricks sets from LAN. I mistakenly assume that these sets are the previously-released, education program-exclusive Braille Bricks sets. How did I mess this up? Because these were never consumer-facing, I did not know what the packaging looked like. August 18, 2023 - shortly after posting my video showcasing what LEGO sent me, I was contacted and told I was the source of a major LEGO leak, which initially confused me greatly as I was not even aware that the Braille sets were anything new. I promptly removed the video and any reference to it I could find online. August 24, 2023 - LEGO announces that the Braille sets I received are part of a new program to make the bricks available to consumers, which was unknown to me until this date - and explains why that me posting the box art was a major leak. TLDR I messed up, thought the boxes I received were for the 2020 LEGO Braille Bricks and not a new product, and now am on probation until February :(

Wow, suspending the guy who won Lego Masters.  Something is fishy or Lego needs to rethink their PR strategy. No way Lego looks good after this. 

• Like 1

These guys clearly messed up and they have admitted as much. Of course, stuff like that is bound to happen if the largest toy manufacturer in the world relies on amateur and self-employed influencers for marketing. These guys don't have layers of checks the way big ad agencies would have, so mistakes are going to happen. Both sides get what they deserve, imo.

19 minutes ago, BrickLover80 said:

These guys don't have layers of checks the way big ad agencies would have, so mistakes are going to happen. Both sides get what they deserve, imo.

Neither does Lego for the matter.  Lego should be treading more lightly here. The children’s toy market is declining (Hasbro recently layed off 1100 employees) and they’re all competing now for the adult collectors who watch these influencers who are now on probation. Seems like a bad move on their part. But then again a lot of big corps are screwing it up. 

3 hours ago, KvHulk said:

Never going to shed a tear for 'influencers'.

And many would say never going to shed a tear for 'investors'.

Those influencers actually help you by promoting sets, even retired ones, and play a part in driving up demand for sets. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, curiusgeorge said:

And many would say never going to shed a tear for 'investors'.

Those influencers actually help you by promoting sets, even retired ones, and play a part in driving up demand for sets. 

Bricksie? 🤣

I know you work for USPS but do you have a Youtube channel?

1 hour ago, Pseudoty said:

Bricksie? 🤣

I know you work for USPS but do you have a Youtube channel?

No, correct, and no. Like I said earlier, I'm no particular fan of Bricksie, or any youtuber for that matter, but I don't have any ill will towards them either. Same with investors. But it has certainly been an interesting discussion.

On 1/3/2024 at 6:08 AM, spener90 said:

He blacked it out after finding out I believe.

I only watched Bricksies explanation video once, but from what I gathered he blacked out the set in every frame except for like 3 seconds prior to posting his video. His inadvertent early release was only discovered when another youtuber, who prides themselves into finding and showing "leaked" lego sets, showed the set on their channel AND called out where he got his leak, hence the investigation and probation by Lego.

On 1/4/2024 at 8:43 AM, redcell said:

Regardless of anything else, one thing Bricksies' experience clearly shows is that one should not mess around with TLG if given early access to information about forthcoming sets.

Yeah whatever. 😊

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, Tonka858 said:

Sets are a tough sell on whatnot.

he has a ton of followers, I'm sure people will bid up just to be on his stream and buy stuff.  Looks like he will have a lot of old retired stuff.  

It's amazing how many people overpay on whatnot.  It is a lot easier to just be able to see items and instant buy i suppose.  

one guy on there is always listing rare/expensive figs like he's making them lol - mattysminifigures...  

12 minutes ago, jaybinx73 said:

he has a ton of followers, I'm sure people will bid up just to be on his stream and buy stuff.  Looks like he will have a lot of old retired stuff.  

It's amazing how many people overpay on whatnot.  It is a lot easier to just be able to see items and instant buy i suppose.  

one guy on there is always listing rare/expensive figs like he's making them lol - mattysminifigures...  

I don't know if I should check this app out? I don't need another app.

• Like 1