LEGO used set pricing

I have been wondering if there was any way to further classify the used sets purchased on Ebay. There can be a wide variety in the used category. Assembled with no box, or insturctions. With crummy box, with nice box, sitcker used or unused. I think we all unerstand what new means (actually that is a little complex to becasue the box can technically be open...what's up with that), but the used category could be enhaced. I would think for evaluation purposes a used set, with an nice box, nice instcution manual, unused sticker sheet would typically be valued more than the Price Guide used price (which often is missing box). I can't see buying a bunch of sets and never opening them, so I build mine. Is this addressed anywhere on the site? Thanks,

Variations of used sets are quite "varied." LOL. I have an idea to address this issue with a future site update. I will come up with a series of ratings to gauge the value of a used or even new set. For example, a mint used set with perfect box, instructions, and pieces that were displayed only by an adult owner might be worth 20% more than a standard used set. You would be able to click on this option and the price of the item in the Price/Set Guide would adjust accordingly. This is an example of a future site improvement that would give you more accurate values.

Edit: Wow, Ed actually weighed in while I was typing my post up! How's that for super efficient service... :) I'm sure either Ed or Jeff would be able to weigh in on this, but I think there's just too much inconsistency in how used sets are listed to build that level of detail into the price guide. New/Used is a standard field which is published for every set so it's easy enough to split price that way, but everything else about condition falls down to the individual listing - there would need to be some sort of search for key words, and I'd wager it'd be impossible to catch every possible phrase a seller might use (if that level of detail is even provided by ebay as part of the data package BP uses). And if the listing doesn't contain any of the expected key words (I've seen plenty which say little more than 'having a clear out'), it couldn't accurately be categorised at all. The only way I could see used price by condition being possible is if the average Brickfolio price can be calculated - average price paid per set, split by condition based on the BF Item Specific tick boxes. Actually, that might not be such a bad idea... Nudge, nudge, wink, wink @ the Macks?!

Edit: Wow, Ed actually weighed in while I was typing my post up! How's that for super efficient service... :)

I'm sure either Ed or Jeff would be able to weigh in on this, but I think there's just too much inconsistency in how used sets are listed to build that level of detail into the price guide.

New/Used is a standard field which is published for every set so it's easy enough to split price that way, but everything else about condition falls down to the individual listing - there would need to be some sort of search for key words, and I'd wager it'd be impossible to catch every possible phrase a seller might use (if that level of detail is even provided by ebay as part of the data package BP uses). And if the listing doesn't contain any of the expected key words (I've seen plenty which say little more than 'having a clear out'), it couldn't accurately be categorised at all.

The only way I could see used price by condition being possible is if the average Brickfolio price can be calculated - average price paid per set, split by condition based on the BF Item Specific tick boxes.

Actually, that might not be such a bad idea... Nudge, nudge, wink, wink @ the Macks?!

He does that a lot, he's quick lol

Splitting the used sets into further categories could be problematic if there are low volumes of used set sales. I like the average sale. Take it as the price for an "average" used set. If you have one with box, stickers, instructions, no wear etc then add a bit to the average in your thinking. Conversely if it has non of the extras and a few parts missing you take some off. After a while you get used to thinking automatically. Kind of the same with "new" sets which can have quality variances as well e.g. broken seals, damaged boxes, open but sealed bags etc.

Edit: Wow, Ed actually weighed in while I was typing my post up! How's that for super efficient service... :)

I'm sure either Ed or Jeff would be able to weigh in on this, but I think there's just too much inconsistency in how used sets are listed to build that level of detail into the price guide.

New/Used is a standard field which is published for every set so it's easy enough to split price that way, but everything else about condition falls down to the individual listing - there would need to be some sort of search for key words, and I'd wager it'd be impossible to catch every possible phrase a seller might use (if that level of detail is even provided by ebay as part of the data package BP uses). And if the listing doesn't contain any of the expected key words (I've seen plenty which say little more than 'having a clear out'), it couldn't accurately be categorised at all.

The only way I could see used price by condition being possible is if the average Brickfolio price can be calculated - average price paid per set, split by condition based on the BF Item Specific tick boxes.

Actually, that might not be such a bad idea... Nudge, nudge, wink, wink @ the Macks?!

When Jeff and I are ready to move forward on this, I will post numerous polls on the forums asking members to rate various quality sets. This will give me an idea of what to base the numbers on. Our data already has high and low set data, so I can get a range of values/mean values and extrapolate backwards. This is a feature that I have a very clear vision on what I want to do.

Splitting the used sets into further categories could be problematic if there are low volumes of used set sales.

I like the average sale. Take it as the price for an "average" used set. If you have one with box, stickers, instructions, no wear etc then add a bit to the average in your thinking. Conversely if it has non of the extras and a few parts missing you take some off. After a while you get used to thinking automatically.

Kind of the same with "new" sets which can have quality variances as well e.g. broken seals, damaged boxes, open but sealed bags etc.

As with anything, it is an approximation for people with less experience evaluating sets.