41684 - Heartlake City Grand Hotel

Shortbus311

My daughter has the original.  This one pales by comparison. 

It's crazy that there are only 250 pieces less in this new grand hotel from the original but look at all those fall, spring, and snow related build pieces so you can change the season for the picnic area.  But what "Grand Hotel" would actually have a picnic area?  What a waste of parts.  They should have called this "Country Hotel" or something similar.  I bet it would sell better and give the minifigures (kids) an excuse for a road trip from the city.

• Darth_Raichu changed the title to 41684 - Heartlake City Grand Hotel

I recently bought the original Grand Hotel at a yard sale, $75 still in original box with instructions. Used.  I came home and immediately built it to make sure it was complete (it was!). And you’re right, the original set is grander than the remake. I’m kind of new to lego, and am wondering if this is true of all or most remakes. Taj Mahal for example. 

Next question is how this will affect the original. It's a bad remake but it seems remakes, bad or good, has a negative impact on the original's value. I have a loose one that I bought two years ago that I've been meaning to rebuild to check for completeness. I may need to get to it sooner.

• 1 year later...

only 13 sellers on the amazon listing, lowest price is $160 (60% over msrp), up 15% over the last 2 weeks. this set is doing the best so far of all the sets i follow from class of 2022.  hard to believe not many hoarded this set given how incredible the last friends hotel did.  hopefully the seller count can stay this low and there is no significant restocking.

• Like 2