New to BP, but Everyone's gonna want to see what I've got!

Hello fellow Pickers,  My name is Margo Lane.  I am not a bricker, I am a widow... with a treasure trove!  I have some really nice, really old lego sets from the 1970s and 80s that are I think rare in this condition.  Like New in the Box with instructions.   I would like to begin to post pictures however there are literally hundreds of sets to photograph and catalog which will take a deal of time. From what I can think of off the top of my head, there are entire galaxy space command sets upon sets upon sets, the moon landing, and moon buggies.- All early 70s - all in the box, all with instructions.  And I believe most all are complete sets. They were kept by a librarian for 30-40 years.   City Sets - An entire city - again sets upon sets upon sets, I remember the Exxon gas station stood out, and the Tug boat.   My husband passed away, and I'm downsizing.  I want to sell the sets.  But I don't want to dump them - they are truly special .  If you are looking for anything particular you think might be in this category please let me know.  Thank you! 

• Like 2

Hello Margo, welcome. My condolences for your loss, but your husband had a fascinating hobby that you can hopefully find some peace with parting with what was once something he really enjoyed! I would first start with listing the set numbers, that way people here can get a good feel for what you have in your collection. Then you can move to condition (new in sealed box, opened with box). If you have worked with excel before, that would be the best to help organize the list of Lego. Someone here is bound to take some interest.

Hi Margo, and welcome. Do you have any never opened Lego Samsonite sets mostly sold via the Sears and JC Penny catalog in the USA from the early 70’s?  I am always looking to add good specimens to my collection. If so please message me with pics. 

They look like this (that is me and my sister in the pic)

B2A61F1F-DCDD-419C-AA08-8B23C51C2B5B.jpeg

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Margo Lane said:

Hello fellow Pickers,  My name is Margo Lane.  I am not a bricker, I am a widow... with a treasure trove!  I have some really nice, really old lego sets from the 1970s and 80s that are I think rare in this condition.  Like New in the Box with instructions.   I would like to begin to post pictures however there are literally hundreds of sets to photograph and catalog which will take a deal of time. From what I can think of off the top of my head, there are entire galaxy space command sets upon sets upon sets, the moon landing, and moon buggies.- All early 70s - all in the box, all with instructions.  And I believe most all are complete sets. They were kept by a librarian for 30-40 years.   City Sets - An entire city - again sets upon sets upon sets, I remember the Exxon gas station stood out, and the Tug boat.   My husband passed away, and I'm downsizing.  I want to sell the sets.  But I don't want to dump them - they are truly special .  If you are looking for anything particular you think might be in this category please let me know.  Thank you! 

Hi Margo,

You will probably want to inventory the sets by set# first; Microsoft Excel works the best sine it's a common file type anyone can work w/.

But if you're short on time; the most efficient way is to line up a bunch of a the manuals and take a few pictures. Post the pics here and you will likely get offers.  The fact you found yourself here suggests that you are informed and expecting something close to market prices. Bricklink.com is a one-stop LEGO and pricing guide which gives some idea. BL also has weights for sets so that's a general way to check for level of completeness if you were so inclined without spending too much time.

Folks into this era LEGO are probably decent...but you know what the say about "den of thieves".  I don't have a horse in this as I don't consider LEGO sets before I was born to even exist. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BricksBrotha said:

Silliest thing Ive heard all day!

I can appreciate LEGO history but doesn't mean I have to like every set. 

Loved building as a kid (so i have a nostalgia association w/ late 80s sets), but as an AfoL; my aesthetic leans towards realistic looking models for display...and the blocky bricks ain't my thing.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KShine said:

Seriously???

Yes, I would love a sealed samsonite set, but no that is not us in the pic I would think the models would be from Denmark?

Here is a pic of me and her opening season of WDW. Don’t I look thrilled  

271F1A6E-AD4E-4AB7-8F4D-22DF2C697D22.jpeg

Edited by Pseudoty

I can appreciate LEGO history but doesn't mean I have to like every set. 
Loved building as a kid (so i have a nostalgia association w/ late 80s sets), but as an AfoL; my aesthetic leans towards realistic looking models for display...and the blocky bricks ain't my thing.

The sets that predated the Moon Lander and early Fire Station set tended to suck in comparison to what came after so I get this, but if your Lego timeline starts with the late 1980s, you're missing out on some absolute gems like Galaxy Explorer, Yellow Castle, and a bevy of the town sets that came out between 1980 and 1986.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Hardcore Space collector here, but collect everything vintage LEGO at this point so this is right up my alley.

With collections like this it comes down to your time horizon and time dedication.  Slow Dime or fast nickel is truth data with LEGO.  You really gotta look at what you want to do and then commit to it.

For example: a couple years ago I bought out a Lego Castle collection.  Pretty much every castle set Lego released up to about the year 2000.  Total worth I estimated conservatively at around $6000....I got the collection for $3000.  Packed a Chevy Tahoe with the back seats out to the gills.  Good deal definitely......but.......It took me a a little under a thousand hours, my living room, dining room and the better part of a year to go through the lot, organize, inventory, bag and tag everything.  If I were to sell them it would be a ton more time and effort to list, sell, package and ship.   Not trying to discourage you at all, just trying to show the amount of time and work it takes if you go the maximized route.

Also, this community is a fantastic source of information and knowledge to draw upon....read up, search around and ask questions if needed.

3 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

Yes, I would love a sealed samsonite set, but no that is not us in the pic I would think the models would be from Denmark?

Here is a pic of me and her opening season of WDW. Don’t I look thrilled  

271F1A6E-AD4E-4AB7-8F4D-22DF2C697D22.jpeg

Wow one of the first colorized photos and possibly the earliest specimen of the thumb on display...