How should i sell my lego

Damohardasabrick

So guys im buying some lego with the purpose of keeping it brand new and sealed and unused to sell for a profit about 1 or 2 years afters its discontinued. Would opening the box decrease the value? I assume it would but then i think of what if the box is missing people and you sell it to somebody after its been discontinued and they cant get replacement parts or instructions from lego anymore? Could it somehow be smarter to build the lego once then bag it up again just to ensure everything is there? If anybody has experience in this please let me know your thoughts and what i should do.

Thanks 

3 hours ago, Damohardasabrick said:

brand new and sealed and unused

the triple redundancy in your post bothers me for some reason

anyway; sealed is always better than broken seals  w/ sealed inside bags (altho the difference varies from minimal to significant);

If you have a reason to suspect a tampered sealed box; then it's probably a good idea to first weigh the box and compare to Bricklink info; if a lot less then you definitely should break the seals to know what you have.  You can inventory the sealed bags by searching for the set on Youtube (what's in the box type of reviews). Note that some sets have large LEGO pieces not in bags, the LEGO bag numbering system is completely F'ed up for such a simple concept (ie multiple #3s, etc)

So guys im buying some lego with the purpose of keeping it brand new and sealed and unused to sell for a profit about 1 or 2 years afters its discontinued. Would opening the box decrease the value? I assume it would but then i think of what if the box is missing people and you sell it to somebody after its been discontinued and they cant get replacement parts or instructions from lego anymore? Could it somehow be smarter to build the lego once then bag it up again just to ensure everything is there? If anybody has experience in this please let me know your thoughts and what i should do.

Thanks 
If you break the seals on the box it is no longer brand new and will sell for less. If you open the bags and build it, it will then be used and sell for even less.

The most successful dealers don't use their product.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Damohardasabrick said:

So guys im buying some lego with the purpose of keeping it brand new and sealed and unused to sell for a profit about 1 or 2 years afters its discontinued.

You can flip it after 1-2 years but you'll rarely get maximum price for it then.  I've found better hold time to be 4-5 years for most sets.  Some longer, some shorter, but you get the idea.  Even then, you're buy-in will also impact how quickly you turn a set around.  

Also, you need to know that this past year has been VERY unusual.  It is not often that you can flip sets within the same year due to short supply.  That might happen around Christmas time but not the whole year like during the pandemic.  As supply catches up, prices will go back down.

Storage becomes an issue for a 4-5 year hold.

As some have already said "sealed" and a nice box are the key.

12 hours ago, Damohardasabrick said:

Thanks 

If you're buying with the goal of achieving a profit, don't open the box.  Although you might be able to squeeze some profit out of certain sets after they have been opened, you'd mostly be trying to recover some portion of your cost at that point.

I've personally sold lots of open box sealed bag sets for same as lowest price of a sealed set on eBay. Some buyers who just want to build the set, prefer open box sealed sets as guarantees what's included.

This obviously would only work if your selling on eBay and not amazon etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Voltron said:

I've personally sold lots of open box sealed bag sets for same as lowest price of a sealed set on eBay. Some buyers who just want to build the set, prefer open box sealed sets as guarantees what's included.

This obviously would only work if your selling on eBay and not amazon etc.

for sure; but experience says depends on the set...if it's recently retired; most buyers are looking to build...older sets, there are more collectors who are "investing" and want it sealed.  Obviously the broadest market of prospective buyers are for sealed sets.