Toys R Us has a new owner (again)

BrickLegacy

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/15/whp-global-takes-controlling-stake-in-toys-r-us-plans-to-open-stores.html

"Key Points" from the article:

• Brand management company WHP Global announced it has acquired a controlling interest in Tru Kids, the parent company of the Toys R Us and Babies R Us brands.
  • Tru Kids bought the brands and intellectual property from Toys R Us after it filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in September 201
  • WHP plans to open a number of Toys R Us stores again in the U.S., ideally ahead of this holiday season.

The stores in Asia seems to be doing ok. I used to have one 15min away from where I live in Switzerland but it was bought over by Smyth Toys a few years back and unfortunately it closed last year. Growing up with TRU I certainly want to see it succeed, sure I like the convenience of buying online as a kid nothing beats going into a TRU store and seeing aisles and aisles of toys. 

Adult toy collecting is growing and has no visible signs of contracting. I've felt if GameStop or something like a TRUs took on that demographic and modeled some of there business to that group, they could make gains that Amazons cant. Handling items with care instead of throwing them in a shipper, is not something Amazon will soon change. 

After the past few years without a dedicated toy store, and seeing how most of the big box stores around me have started limiting the items they have on hand, I would welcome a new/old dedicated store. I dont care who owns it, I just want a damn toy store again. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...