LEGO VIP Insiders/GWP Discussion

Captain_Obvious

4 minutes ago, Pseudoty said:

Santa's rocking chair looks awesome up close.  Is there any rare part beside the sticker ?

image.png

Yep, if they had made it a nice list instead of a naughty list it probably would have been fine. No kid wants to see their name on Santa's naughty list.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Howdy folks, I was under the impression that the VIP coins would be re-released by Lego this year sometime.  Given that it's almost EOY and I still haven't seen anything, curious if I just missed the news on these or if it's been crickets.  Does anyone know if those 5 coins will be re-released or was that just a Lego statement made at the time to try and appease angry folks only for it to be forgotten until the end of time...

Howdy folks, I was under the impression that the VIP coins would be re-released by Lego this year sometime.  Given that it's almost EOY and I still haven't seen anything, curious if I just missed the news on these or if it's been crickets.  Does anyone know if those 5 coins will be re-released or was that just a Lego statement made at the time to try and appease angry folks only for it to be forgotten until the end of time...

I have literally no information but wouldn’t be surprised if TLG made that statement to stop the the uproar after the shortages, but i imagine someone has more information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, nolan808 said:

**** is it all over? 

This has been on their question list for many years and they have done nothing about it. If they implement it they just hurt themselves, as it lowers the perceived value and scarcity of the brand. If I know I can buy a set at any point in the future... why rush to get it today, or even before it retires? 

All of those "I might want it later" and FOMO purchases go out the window. Why eat ramen to fill a closet full of sets you'll "get to one day" when you can eat steak now and just buy the set in the future when the free time finally arrives?

Edited by brickvoyeur

6 minutes ago, nolan808 said:

**** is it all over? 

How interesting, I’m game but do agree with brickvoyer.  Although my take is if it does happen then it’s unlikely to have an infinite number of retired sets but rather some subset of retired sets.  Maybe most popular or ones that may be easiest to produce with existing molds, etc.  Just my two cents, which is not even worth that much!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LegoTriathlete said:

How interesting, I’m game but do agree with brickvoyer.  Although my take is if it does happen then it’s unlikely to have an infinite number of retired sets but rather some subset of retired sets.  Maybe most popular or ones that may be easiest to produce with existing molds, etc.  Just my two cents, which is not even worth that much!

Great halls coming back then along with the gingerbread house lol 

7 minutes ago, LegoTriathlete said:

In all honesty though who is scared by all this. Who will off load before or maybe as soon as this is announced? Could this be the end 

This has been on their question list for many years and they have done nothing about it. If they implement it they just hurt themselves, as it lowers the perceived value and scarcity of the brand. If I know I can buy a set at any point in the future... why rush to get it today, or even before it retires? 
All of those "I might want it later" and FOMO purchases go out the window. Why eat ramen to fill a closet full of sets you'll "get to one day" when you can eat steak now and just buy the set in the future when the free time finally arrives?

That’s if they do it across the board with all sets, etc. i doubt they will do it with licensed sets. I could easily see them keep their winners aside from the Ideas line as they’ve done now with the Saturn V and Ship in a Bottle. I’m unsure about modulars, architecture, or in house brands, like Ninjago or Monkie Kid.

I would imagine the logistics of keeping that many sets in warehouse or in a state of semi production and off of retail shelves would be a challenge.

1 minute ago, Mark Twain said:

That’s if they do it across the board with all sets, etc. i doubt they will do it with licensed sets. I could easily see them keep their winners aside from the Ideas line as they’ve done now with the Saturn V and Ship in a Bottle. I’m unsure about modulars, architecture, or in house brands, like Ninjago or Monkie Kid.

I would imagine the logistics of keeping that many sets in warehouse or in a state of semi production and off of retail shelves would be a challenge.

But with the incredible sales over the last few years maybe it's possible. I do think that if they implement this it will defiantly hurt them in the long run. 

This is not a good time for me personally for this to potentially be over. :(

But with the incredible sales over the last few years maybe it's possible. I do think that if they implement this it will defiantly hurt them in the long run. 
This is not a good time for me personally for this to potentially be over.

No, imagine the retail customer e.g. Target, Walmart, or Amazon calling Lego telling them they cannot move any of the newly released Star Wars, Harry Potter, Disney, or Speed Champion sets from their shelves because people want the older sets. If Lego launches this it will be boutique and focused at least from the start.

If this new option from LEGO comes to fruition, then it is in the ballpark of my only perceived concern (reality based anyway) to the continued viability of making a living selling collectible LEGO.

TBH, they've been chipping away at this for years - It might be best if they just do it, and remove all doubt.

Edited by KShine

Didn't they run a survey a few months ago asking about willingness to pay for certain features?

A lot will depend on how they implement this. I could easily imagine that they do a final run of a set at EOL and put them into storage, rather than keep producing them. If they kept producing them, they might as well keep them all in rotation and never retire. If storage is the approach, it will slow down appreciation but not stop it completely because eventually Lego will run out. It will also limit this to some sets. Probably the bigger AFOL sets, not smaller city/ninjago/marvel where you see some of the biggest appreciation.

Didn't they run a survey a few months ago asking about willingness to pay for certain features?
A lot will depend on how they implement this. I could easily imagine that they do a final run of a set at EOL and put them into storage, rather than keep producing them. If they kept producing them, they might as well keep them all in rotation and never retire. If storage is the approach, it will slow down appreciation but not stop it completely because eventually Lego will run out. It will also limit this to some sets. Probably the bigger AFOL sets, not smaller city/ninjago/marvel where you see some of the biggest appreciation.

There is a successor survey out right now on the VIP rewards page. Earns 150 points. The above screenshot is one of the options they are showing.

I don't think these sets would be widely available or available for a long period of time. It sounds like if you subscribe to the service you would have access to purchase directly from Lego a handful of retired sets that will probably rotate. They need to keep rotating them so you will stay subscribed to the service. Hopefully it will be long retired sets like the original modular sets. If they start offering recently retired sets then that would be bad.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, BrickLover80 said:

I can see LEGO manufacturing 1000 of X set and selling them at marked up prices and then they run out. Once that's done, X set will start to appreciate on the secondary market since people would want a piece of that. However, LEGO pretty much could dictate the price of how much X could be, undercutting the value of what it is currently on the market.

It is possible to still make money re-selling but it makes you be more careful about set selection, careful about how much to store, and waiting to see what set TLG will make "semi-retired" for the product run.

A lot more hoops to go through  for the sake of $$$.

• Like 1

If they do this, since it would be a subscription service, it would probably only be a selection of like 3 sets/month. They would probably be a pre-order type thing so they know exactly how many they need to produce. I am guessing that they would prefer offering stickered sets instead of sets with printed pieces as stickers would be easier and cheaper to produce. I am also going to guess that there would be no printed instructions and people would just be expected to use the pdf instructions. They will probably come in a more generic box without the full box art (I am thinking something like the yellow GWP box but obviously larger). And I am guessing that they would also lean more towards sets whose majority of pieces are still being produced. Oh, and very unlikely to have retired IP's that they no longer have the rights to come back (Stuff like Scooby and SpongeBob).

That is just how I see it probably going and I am not going to freak out over a couple questions in a survey. Especially questions like this that have been in many previous surveys and nothing has ever come of them.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• exciter1 changed the title to LEGO VIP Insiders/GWP Discussion