LEGO VIP Insiders/GWP Discussion

Captain_Obvious

LEGO response Huw posted in an update:

Update: Earlier in the day this article encouraged you to contact Customer Services to complain. It seems many of you did which has prompted the company to issue the following statement:

“We’re very sorry about your experience with our current VIP promo. We do our best to make sure items like this one are available to as many LEGO fans as possible, and we know how disappointing it can be when you can’t get the LEGO set that you want.

"Listening to our fans helps us get better, so thanks for letting us know we got it wrong this time. We’re taking a very close look to see what wasn’t quite right, and I’ve shared your comments with the correct team so we can do better in the future.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

LEGO response Huw posted in an update:

Update: Earlier in the day this article encouraged you to contact Customer Services to complain. It seems many of you did which has prompted the company to issue the following statement:

“We’re very sorry about your experience with our current VIP promo. We do our best to make sure items like this one are available to as many LEGO fans as possible, and we know how disappointing it can be when you can’t get the LEGO set that you want.

"Listening to our fans helps us get better, so thanks for letting us know we got it wrong this time. We’re taking a very close look to see what wasn’t quite right, and I’ve shared your comments with the correct team so we can do better in the future.

Reads like a scalper victory to me. 

We're sorry you couldn't get the limited set you wanted. We'll try harder next time. 🤞

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, exracer327 said:

I spoke to a CS about the same thing happening re: the coins - use VIP pts and possibly missing out on receiving it.  They assured me that there is one product for every code issued. So your concern should be unfounded, but I hear you on LEGO over selling items.

Of course, we only get 60 days to redeem said code.  So if someone forgets or looses their code, there may be a handful of sets that go unclaimed.

Well, that doesn’t fix the problem but it does make me feel a bit better, so thanks again. I’ll keep trying to place an order. Eventually it will go through. Right? Right!?

image.gif.8aae7676b9294a5c988612534aa1faf1.gif

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, KvHulk said:

I didn't get the space coin. This is the first time I've mentioned it.
Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. But whining about stuff doesn't get you anywhere.

To be fair, Space Coin was available for a few hours and this was available for a few minutes. 

Open mouths are the ones who get fed, but I think posting a link to the CEO's email for direct contact is in the whining category, and not a good method. 

14 minutes ago, TheBrickGuru24 said:

If I may ask a slightly off topic question, why is this set so popular in the first place? Exclusive pieces? Exclusive prints? Am I just ignorant to the amount of impact that NASA has had on people? Genuinely curious.

You must be young?

7B17EF5E-1944-4283-B1CF-5DE91F9FBBFA.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, raulaco said:

I do wonder what peoples plans are for this set in general. I'm guessing the majority will sell now. I can't see this appreciating due to the amount available, I can only see this going one way and that's down.

Yea a set that was available for 8 minutes will certainly lose value. Especially once the initial wave sells and it's extremely rare. No one wants that. 🙄

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

16 minutes ago, marcandre said:

Yea a set that was available for 8 minutes will certainly lose value. Especially once the initial wave sells and it's extremely rare. No one wants that. 🙄

Oddly enough, I actually just wanted this set to go with the shuttle (I have yet to buy) and my other space-themed sets. 

4 minutes ago, melting said:

Yes.

Fair. I am in my early 20's and have only been a serious fan since around 2014-2015 (mainly due to being a poor child/teenager), so I'm guessing that more or less explains it.

I do want to point out however that I am very much aware of the impact that the Space theme had. I just wasn't sure if it and NASA were connected at the hip (if that's what you are referring to).

Edited by TheBrickGuru24
Indecisiveness
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TheBrickGuru24 said:

Fair. I am in my early 20's and have only been a serious fan since around 2014-2015 (mainly due to being a poor child/teenager), so I'm guessing that more or less explains it.

I do want to point out however that I am very much aware of the impact that the Space theme had. I just wasn't sure if it and NASA were connected at the hip.

NASA was of MAJOR interest to kids/adults throughout the 1960's - 1980's.  It was not only a symbol of space exploration, but it was also a symbol of the Cold War between the U.S., China, and USSR.  We did not have instant availability to videos and shows 24/7 that covered space exploration. When a space launch occurred, it was watched by as many viewers as they had during the Super Bowl.

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, marcandre said:

I don't agree at all. Easy to think that but it defiantly could lose value from what it sells for now. A few things make me think this.

The possibility of Lego doing an extra run from all the complaints, it could happen.

The fact that there was alot more than people first thought, prices are already high wait untill eBay becomes flooded. 

The set doesn't have anything unique to it and can easily be re bricked. 

Now the American market could be a lot different but I've found here in the UK the majority of promo sets actually decrease when people either flood the market or the interest fades. 

150 tops here in the UK atm and I don't think it will go higher. Imo that's a crazy price and will level out around the 80 -100 mark or just below as long as Lego dosn't re release it. 

Also it will be very long time until it's extremely rare like you say if ever. Too many produced. 

Edited by raulaco

8 minutes ago, TheBrickGuru24 said:

I do want to point out however that I am very much aware of the impact that the Space theme had. I just wasn't sure if it and NASA were connected at the hip (if that's what you are referring to).

So when the first space shuttle launched on April 12, 1981 I was in Florida on vacation, and we pulled over got out of the car went to the beach and watched it take off.

It was amazing.  Star Wars was just a few years earlier.  Star Trek the Movie.  I kept up with them building the shuttle.  Buck Rogers TV Show using as a deep space orbiter what looked like a shuttle.

It was an amazing time to be a kid and dream of our future.  Yes any model of the Shuttle means that much to me. Its a symbol for all of that and the USA.

Lego space sets bring all that back to mind.  That includes getting an exclusive Ulysses.

I hope we can return to that type of dreaming of technology and exploration for the future.

Edited by starwarsxpress
  • Like 7

7 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

NASA was of MAJOR interest to kids/adults throughout the 1960's - 1980's.  It was not only a symbol of space exploration, but it was also a symbol of the Cold War between the U.S., China, and USSR.  We did not have instant availability to videos and shows 24/7 that covered space exploration. When a space launch occurred, it was watched by as many viewers as they had during the Super Bowl.

And nowadays it's just mainly Elon Musk saying "Haha, rocket blast off", right? (Tbf though, his stuff is pretty amazing).

6 minutes ago, starwarsxpress said:

So when the first space shuttle launched on April 12, 1981 I was in Florida on vacation, and we pulled over got out of the car went to the beach and watched it take off.

It was amazing.  Star Wars was just a few years earlier.  Star Trek the Movie.  I kept up with them building the shuttle.  Buck Rogers TV Show using as a deep space orbiter what looked like a shuttle.

It was an amazing time to be a kid and dream of our future.  Yes any model of the Shuttle means that much to me. Its a symbol for all of that and the USA.

I hope we can return to that type of dreaming of technology and exploration for the future.

I will say that if we ever put a human on Mars, I think the world might experience the sort of feelings you're talking about. Hope so anyways.

Edited by TheBrickGuru24
misspelling
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, TheBrickGuru24 said:

And nowadays it's just mainly Elon Musk saying "Haha, rocket blast off", right? (Tbf though, his stuff is pretty amazing).

The first time I saw 2 booster rockets land simultaneously on their landing pads, it brought back the same feeling I had watching launches, landings, space walks, and International Space Station reports as a kid.  Honestly, the large Starship returning from sub-orbit to near successful landings has been bringing back the same excitement as well.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, raulaco said:

I don't agree at all. Easy to think that but it defiantly could lose value from what it sells for now. A few things make me think this.

The possibility of Lego doing an extra run from all the complaints, it could happen.

The fact that there was alot more than people first thought, prices are already high wait untill eBay becomes flooded. 

Now the American market could be a lot different but I've found here in the UK the majority of promo sets actually decrease when people either flood the market or the interest fades. 

150 tops here in the UK atm and I don't think it will go higher. Imo that's a crazy price and will level out around the 80 -100 mark or just below as long as Lego dosn't re release it. 

What makes you think that the supply was higher? What were you initially thinking? Judging by the reaction, I would say the production run was between 3k-5k. That is pretty limited for a Lego set I would say.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, starwarsxpress said:

The shuttles were so cool to watch. I remember the first time visiting Kennedy Space Center. I was blown away!

DSC00683 3.jpg

Edited by melting
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, exciter1 said:

The first time I saw 2 booster rockets land simultaneously on their landing pads, it brought back the same feeling I had watching space walks and International Space Station reports as a kid.  Honestly, the large Starhip returning from sub-orbit to near successful landings has been bringing back the same excitement as well.

Yeah, he's doing things that don't feel real, to put it simply. Things I still feel only exist in movies. Which is of course helped by Elon being...well, Elon.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, raulaco said:

Also it will be very long time until it's extremely rare like you say if ever. Too many produced. 

“The fact that there was alot more than people first thought.” Based on what numbers for anticipated and actual?

“The set doesn't have anything unique to it and can easily be re bricked.” Agreed from the pieces that we can see or easily modified and replicated for $20.

You never know about another run but the biggest risk I see is that when these arrive they come in a plastic bag or a generic box which surely will hurt their long term collectibility value.  

Edited by Pseudoty

11 minutes ago, melting said:

The shuttles were so cool to watch.

My grandparents lived in Titusville, FL, just across the river from Cape Kennedy.  They could watch the launches from their porch.  Going to NASA was the one thing I wanted to do every time we visited them.  Before my grandparents passed away we had visited NASA around 18 times (sometimes twice a year).

I never got to see a shuttle launch (missed several by just one week) but NASA allowed tours by the launchpad even while the Shuttle was awaiting launch (saw that at least twice - parents have pictures somewhere). 

I once got to see the shuttle return to Cape Kennedy riding piggyback on the 747.  That was impressive unto itself.  That is also the one LEGO set I'm waiting for.  Even a GWP mini version would be awesome.

Edited by exracer327
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Pseudoty said:

the biggest risk I see is that when these arrive they come in a plastic bag or a generic box which surely will hurt their long term collectibility value.  

I'm guessing the yellow box like the soccer players, chariot, colored bricks ect... Run is too small for a real box. 

10272 - Old Trafford - Manchester United - Page 5 - Creator - BRICKPICKER

• Like 1

• exciter1 changed the title to LEGO VIP Insiders/GWP Discussion