Scam?

CrabslayerT

Maybe I'm paranoid about this situation but I'd like someone else's advice before I make a decision. 

I have just had a set sell for £300+ on Ebay. Buyer has paid, address is real but can't double check details with PayPal. Account was only set up today and has zero feedback. Address seems legit but alarm bells are ringing. 

I'm tempted to cancel, I have done previously when in similar circumstances. 

What would you do? Contact buyer and say something? Any advice welcome 

1 minute ago, CrabslayerT said:

Can't cross reference since Ebay are doing their own payments now

How? I don't understand... 

Normally you have an eBay shipping invoice with the buyer's adress & a PayPal invoice ALSO with an adress. If both match, it's alright 98% of the time.

If they differ & he has 0 feedback... well that's a scammer. He'll just receive the item to adress nr. 1 & claim you never shipped it, you'll dispute the claim but PayPal can't help you because the PayPal invoice shows adress nr. 2... they don't care about adress nr. 1 because it's not in their system.

If you can't check that, don't send it. That's £300 waiting to be burned.

1 minute ago, elmaslıefendi said:

How? I don't understand... 

Normally you have an eBay shipping invoice with the buyer's adress & a PayPal invoice ALSO with an adress. If both match, it's alright 98% of the time.

If they differ & he has 0 feedback... well that's a scammer. He'll just receive the item to adress nr. 1 & claim you never shipped it, you'll dispute the claim but PayPal can't help you because the PayPal invoice shows adress nr. 2... they don't care about adress nr. 1 because it's not in their system.

If you can't check that, don't send it. That's £300 waiting to be burned.

Ebay have stepped back from PayPal and are now processing payments themselves. Payment was received through Ebay and not PayPal so there is nothing else to reference. 

As for the buyer, I agree with you fully but just wanting confirmation from another seller. 

3 minutes ago, CrabslayerT said:

Ebay have stepped back from PayPal and are now processing payments themselves. Payment was received through Ebay and not PayPal so there is nothing else to reference. 

Ok, I didn't know that they do it that way now. First time I've heard of it. I have no idea then. I wouldn't risk it if the payment system is new. 

Maybe I'm paranoid about this situation but I'd like someone else's advice before I make a decision. 

I have just had a set sell for £300+ on Ebay. Buyer has paid, address is real but can't double check details with PayPal. Account was only set up today and has zero feedback. Address seems legit but alarm bells are ringing. 

Not too helpful, but there are usually guest accounts this time of year that are set up that day to buy Christmas gifts. I had many sales like that in the past and never had an issue.

1 minute ago, redghostx said:
1 hour ago, CrabslayerT said:

Not too helpful, but there are usually guest accounts this time of year that are set up that day to buy Christmas gifts. I had many sales like that in the past and never had an issue.

I checked already, it's not a guest account but it was still set up today. I've sold to guest accounts and zero feedback accounts in the past but not for high value items. I'm selling my inventory off and no longer investing, money needed for other things. I'd rather not take a hit this late in the game. Have you any advice re contacting the buyer?

3 minutes ago, CrabslayerT said:

I checked already, it's not a guest account but it was still set up today. I've sold to guest accounts and zero feedback accounts in the past but not for high value items. I'm selling my inventory off and no longer investing, money needed for other things. I'd rather not take a hit this late in the game. Have you any advice re contacting the buyer?

yes, send the buyer a message to confirm the sale, their expectations on shipping, and the address.

I've found this simple step assures both seller and buyer

really this should have been your first step before even posting here...most scammers never reply back...and serious buyers reply right away

5 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

yes, send the buyer a message to confirm the sale, their expectations on shipping, and the address.

I've found this simple step assures both seller and buyer

really this should have been your first step before even posting here...most scammers never reply back...and serious buyers reply right away

Sound advise, make contact and if replies come back satisfactory then proceed.

This is no guarantee but goes some way. I have sold many higher value items to new accounts and been anxious but all have worked out ok.