Any Brickfolio update?

3 minutes ago, wolvergeek said:

What they should do is charge an annual membership of like $99 a year to use the Brickfolio and after you sign up you get your original data back. Would love to know what I paid for all the Lego I sold this year.

You should have a local copy of everything you do for tax purposes. I wouldn't rely completely on something I didn't have control of, no matter what the tool.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, wolvergeek said:

What they should do is charge an annual membership of like $99 a year to use the Brickfolio and after you sign up you get your original data back. Would love to know what I paid for all the Lego I sold this year.

Your not keeping track? Key a spreadsheet when you purchase. 

Maybe if your doing less than 25-30 sets a year you can wing it. Any more you really should track it. 

Edited by marcandre
  • Like 2

I love how people suggested we should be running a dual tracking system.  I'm just curious, not for tax purposes, but this site was how I was tracking what sets I owned and how many of them I had if more than one.  I have since moved to an excel spreadsheet and inventoried a bunch of rubber maids and boxes full of stuff; but I did have all my dates and purchases prices stored here.  I don't have receipts lying around from 10 years ago except for a few types of items like my homes, automobiles and jewelry.

I'm a selective collector not an investor, the site attracted me because I could quickly update purchases.  Plus I actually found sets from my childhood.  Remember when firemen had multiple swivels on their arms and you built there body from 2x2 blocks?  I found that and a few others in the attic. The site was useful to show me that I was missing a lot of pieces if I wanted to make it complete.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, marcandre said:

Your not keeping track? Key a spreadsheet when you purchase. 

Maybe if your doing less than 25-30 sets a year you can wing it. Any more you really should track it. 

I sold about 50 sets this year after only selling 3 all of last year. But the last time I made a copy was in Apr 2016. I put all of my purchase prices in there and have no data from May 2016 to Feb 2020. 

• Like 1

I guess to each their own, but it's a hobby for me as well, (probably less than 50 sets each year), and I keep track of everything I buy and sell each year. #1, for tax purposes and #2 for my own interest on what I've done. I used Brickfolio just as a tool, not really the nuts and bolts of my hobby. lol

Do you still think ist will come back?
I am still hoping and I want to belive the official announcments, but I am not sure.
At the time it leaved I red something like : it will be back in a few days.
But it ist still not available. And it is a year away.

If you love something, let it go. If it returns then it’s true love. If it doesn’t then it was never meant to be.

I assume the site will be restored it but I am not counting on it still being "this year" as mentioned in August otherwise I assume we would have had communications or an announcement since the end of the year is approaching fast and I doubt a lot of work would be completed during the Holidays.

As someone that only buys a few sets a year, its not the end of the world but again, I used this site as a tracker similar to other sites when I had collected Star Wars figures, GI Joe and Transformers.  The power of the community to provide trends, secondary market values, the analytics for most expensive set or most pieces was just bonus material making collecting a little more fun.

Personally, I stopped collecting those others when I realized I was purchasing, opening or not opening then immediately store in a cardboard box or rubber maid in a closet or basement.  I'm at the point in my life where, if I am not going to display it, why have it?  I am trying to reduce clutter, reduce hobby materials that are no longer being enjoyed.  Legos are not part of my retirement fund plan just like the stack of comics from the 80's that i still hang onto and occasionally flip open and read were not.

Rant complete. Merry Christmas!

I understand that people are upset/disappointed, and it is a feature that many have utilized on here (I haven't because I use other methods for tracking my sets, buy-ins, etc.), but I think people need to remember: this site is free. If you were being charged for a feature and that feature disappeared, you should absolutely be up in arms, but if the Macks or anyone else dedicating time to keeping the site going decided one day to just shut it all down, that's up to them. I know the disappearance came out of nowhere, but I don't think they intended for it to go down in the first place, so it wasn't just like Admin said, "Guess what? No Brickfolio for you!" They have lives outside of here, which may require more attention than random people on the Internet who quietly enjoyed something but started to get loud only when it disappeared. 

• Like 1

Like many others, I came to this site for the Brickfolio feature…but I stayed for the witty banter and great insight from experienced sellers. I have my own spreadsheet/tracking system, so Brickfolio or not, I plan to stick around for a long time! Thanks to the Mack bros for creating and maintaining the site.

• Like 1