Comicblast from Chicago!

Guest ph4tb0i

Good job with school! Keep up the good work. You're going to build a good balance so when you hit high school having a part time job + school won't affect you too much since you've already been working since 13! :)

Guest ph4tb0i

I hated Geometry.  I'm pretty sure I've never needed to know how to do a proof since I took that class.

Proofs really help with developing abstract thought. It's not the proof itself that's useful but the thought process at arriving at said proof (whether it be deductive/inductive reasoning).

Never really understood what learning the "thought process" really meant till I graduated out of engineering and work as a database guy full time. I'm still trying to solve the mystery that is NULL (NULL cannot equal itself or anything else, yet can exist as an entity to symbolize nothingness, which is in a sense a quantifiable object, which should therefore equal something but it doesn't.. like wtf dude?) >_>

Proofs really help with developing abstract thought. It's not the proof itself that's useful but the thought process at arriving at said proof (whether it be deductive/inductive reasoning).

Never really understood what learning the "thought process" really meant till I graduated out of engineering and work as a database guy full time. I'm still trying to solve the mystery that is NULL (NULL cannot equal itself or anything else, yet can exist as an entity to symbolize nothingness, which is in a sense a quantifiable object, which should therefore equal something but it doesn't.. like wtf dude?) >_>

Did anyone follow?  ;)

Guest eightbrick

Welcome... er.... back? Thanks for being an awesome site member, you're one of my Brickpicker ROLE MODELS OF JUSTICE! xD

Brick on and good luck in your future investments!

I'm still trying to solve the mystery that is NULL (NULL cannot equal itself or anything else, yet can exist as an entity to symbolize nothingness, which is in a sense a quantifiable object, which should therefore equal something but it doesn't.. like wtf dude?) >_>

Anyone remember that scene from Tron when Sark calls the one guy a "Null Unit"? :lol:

I remember thinking "where in my life am I going to actually use this?" with algebra. Well, after looking at and understanding what goes into coding and programming, I finally found my reason where it has an actual use! It took a while but I realized the real point of all that was more of learning the thought process itself.

The concept of NULL is like being a nihilist. Even a nihilist believes in something: nothing.

The concept of NULL is like being a nihilist. Even a nihilist believes in something: nothing.

That word through me for a loop. I haven't heard that in, like, forever. To add more bafflivity (I know that isn't a word), look at the concept of outer space. Essentially, there is nothing there which is why it lacks color yet at the same time there is. It's like dark matter.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! RotMG is truly an addicting game. It has me addicted right now, and its the game that I was obsessed with over my break. A while back I had a 6/8 Rogue, and it was amazing. Then ammies were soulbound and UT's now, so the game kind of sucks. Blame Kabam!

I'll bet 99% of you are trying to figure out what I said in the last 20 words...

The concepts of NULL, zero, and nothingness aren't really understood by the human mind yet. We have incredibly abstract ideas about them, but typically when the thought gets hard we throw on a "special case" rider and call it a night.

Think about it this way. Today we understand and take for granted the that we live on a sphere. But not too long ago people simply couldn't wrap their brains around it. Sure, they believed it but they didn't understand it. The next iteration of human intellectual evolution will understand null, zero, etc and that's when some really cool science will happen.

Guys, guys, guys...LEGO. Ignore the Geometry. I'd like to keep that out of my head as long as possible...

Nice to read you, DL. The highlights of our math class this year was watching Bigfoot videos every other day, and learning the "Swag Postulate" and the "YOLO-Swag Theorem", both of whom, I have no clue what they mean.

Guest ph4tb0i

lol, sometimes it's just amazing that Math/Science became a universal language for philosophers to translate the natural world... :)

I would recommend these videos for your class, though they're more physics related :):

Sampoong Department Mall Disaster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3TMXDX8Nlc

Shinkansen Documentary (featuring RICHARD HAMMOND!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZjYL847KnI

• 3 weeks later...

What sports do you play? If you don't mind me asking.

This post took a while to get to, but I ran Cross Country for 2 years (only average on my team) and Track and Field (won 3rd place in Chicago for a medley.) It was really intense practicing 5 times a week!! Before running, I was on the swim team, and the debate team where I won city.

I also do recreational tennis, and play ping-pong quite often, nearly everyday.

Guest eightbrick

This post took a while to get to, but I ran Cross Country for 2 years (only average on my team) and Track and Field (won 3rd place in Chicago for a medley.) It was really intense practicing 5 times a week!! Before running, I was on the swim team, and the debate team where I won city.

I also do recreational tennis, and play ping-pong quite often, nearly everyday.

Cool! I ran cross country for all three of my years in Junior High (placing in a somewhat decent 10-20th place out of about 150 people). Good job on winning City's for the debate team. My school is boss at badminton, we sweeped the City's all three years :D You definitely have my respect for practising 5 times a week for Track (I'll vote your post up when I can like posts again I think there is a limit on how many likes you can do a day). That's dedication!

Cool! I ran cross country for all three of my years in Junior High (placing in a somewhat decent 10-20th place out of about 150 people). Good job on winning City's for the debate team. My school is boss at badminton, we sweeped the City's all three years :D You definitely have my respect for practising 5 times a week for Track (I'll vote your post up when I can like posts again I think there is a limit on how many likes you can do a day). That's dedication!

I'll PM you to continue this conversation...