How to get into Technic, Which to get 1st .....

totoro

I am thinking about getting into technics for building and not for reselling. I wanted to get to get into technics mostly for learning and building a RC tank(s). 1) I think the best set to get to start out is the out of print Lego Technic 8043 Excavator for the tracks and RC components. 2) Lego Technic 4X4 Crawler 9398 - tons of motors but many usable pieces 3) Lego Technic Unimog U400 8110 - good mixture of pieces Considering the cost, where do you think i should begin learning about technics and my goal. Thanks for any help

These are all great sets, the excavator is a great model but there was a much larger and cooler one that just went eol over christmas. The 4x4 is the first fully funtional brick built lego RC car that I know of that doesn't have any special components. I have seen and played with the excavator and the unimog and they are amazing sets, the unimog will have a following, especially in european countries.

• 4 months later...

The Crawler was my first Technic since I got back into lego and it's indeed a great set to start plus it's fun to play with :)

I have the Exca too which is nice but not outstanding IMO and the Logging Truck also interesting.

The Unimog seems to be an emblematic set and has pneumatic system which is nice to play with ... I am seriously considering to buy it at the moment.

If you want to MOC then you are going to need a good part stock. A cheap way to that is to buy incomplete, set or parts lots on Ebay or Craiglist or whatever used stuff website you use.

Finally, consider visiting a lego store and ask them if they have some Technic brick you could buy "Pick a Brick" way ;).

Once you have enough to get started, you can look for particular parts you need on Bricklink.

Guest idunno101

How are the technic different from Lego? Are they less pieces and move differently?

Techinc tends to be a series for vehicles (cars, trucks, motorcycles, etc.) that move. Sometimes they can have less pieces than an average LEGO set, and sometimes they can have more. Technic has many moving parts which can move manually or by motors provided, they also have lights sometimes with them for headlights. Technic isn't too different from regular LEGO but they use less bricks and more pieces specifically designed for Techinc such as beams, axles, motors, etc.

Hope this answered your question, glad to help.  :thumbsup:

Apart from which official set you want to start with and study, I suggest you to look for other MOCers works.

I am thinking especially about Sariel, a Polish MOCers that built around 15 different Tanks that are just awesome. He is showing some WIP photos that can allow you to see how it works. 

He is probably one of the best Technic MOCers so you might learn a lot from him. He is also building all sort of things such as trucks, cars, cranes ...

However, to achieve more refined design, is often use studfull parts, you might be looking for something different but it should still be useful.

Here is his website address:  http://sariel.pl/.

Hope that helps!

I am thinking about getting into technics for building and not for reselling. I wanted to get to get into technics mostly for learning and building a RC tank(s). 1) I think the best set to get to start out is the out of print Lego Technic 8043 Excavator for the tracks and RC components. 2) Lego Technic 4X4 Crawler 9398 - tons of motors but many usable pieces 3) Lego Technic Unimog U400 8110 - good mixture of pieces Considering the cost, where do you think i should begin learning about technics and my goal. Thanks for any help

I would suggest getting the largest sets available, so you'll have more pieces for you buck.

8043 is EOLed, and its price is already high. You can get the tracks from smaller sets like 42006 (which looks great and have interesting pieces like linear actuators, I have to buy it) or 9291 (12 euros on Amazon.it, a good deal for your future tanks).

I forgot to mention 42009, Mobile crane MKII, which will be the largest Technic set ever.

Much better than the 4x4 Crawler in my opinion, especially for what you have in mind (unless you need RC, which you would get on Bricklink later anyway because you need several receiver for a large MOC).

8275 is a good starting point for a tank. There are no special pieces so you can piece it together from Bricklink or just buying surplus parts from ebay.

I got one used for $250 and am happy with it. I wouldn't drive it outside in dirt, sand or gravel. You risk clogging up the treads and ruining the parts and motors. For indoor use it's perfect.

You have to be carefull with these tracked vehicles on carpet as if you manuver too aggressively the links can snag and come apart. Also if you try to climb over a lot of 'debris' (such as other Lego blocks) the links can separate. However, if you want to make a tank or similar tracked vehicle just to drive around for show it's fine.

Start out with some small Technic sets first to get a feel if you like it. The Unimog is a very involved build. It looks great but IMO the chassis isn't very stiff. the differentials can slip too much and there's really not enough torque with the supplied gearing for anything other than driving on a smooth. flat surface.

You'll find as you build bigger with Technic that you need to pay more attention to torsional stiffness in a vehicle frame. A lot of the larger Technic sets just don't have it. If they did then they would be a mass of beams and arms. It's just the nature of the way they are assembled. To get a good, rigid structure the beams need to be more tightly held together. The pins, though friction fit, are not good enough. You need a solid mechanical fastener, like a bolt. These vehicle too, have to be able to support their own weight. Once you start adding more motors, gears and pieces that weight creeps up to where the structure is just barely enough to support that weight let alone any additinal forces added when you start moving them or palying.

I forgot to mention 42009, Mobile crane MKII, which will be the largest Technic set ever.

Much better than the 4x4 Crawler in my opinion, especially for what you have in mind (unless you need RC, which you would get on Bricklink later anyway because you need several receiver for a large MOC).

Not sure about that as with the crawler he will see how suspension work as well as drive train which IMHO he needs more for a tank.

8275 is a good starting point for a tank. There are no special pieces so you can piece it together from Bricklink or just buying surplus parts from ebay.

I got one used for $250 and am happy with it. I wouldn't drive it outside in dirt, sand or gravel. You risk clogging up the treads and ruining the parts and motors. For indoor use it's perfect.

You have to be carefull with these tracked vehicles on carpet as if you manuver too aggressively the links can snag and come apart. Also if you try to climb over a lot of 'debris' (such as other Lego blocks) the links can separate. However, if you want to make a tank or similar tracked vehicle just to drive around for show it's fine.

Start out with some small Technic sets first to get a feel if you like it. The Unimog is a very involved build. It looks great but IMO the chassis isn't very stiff. the differentials can slip too much and there's really not enough torque with the supplied gearing for anything other than driving on a smooth. flat surface.

You'll find as you build bigger with Technic that you need to pay more attention to torsional stiffness in a vehicle frame. A lot of the larger Technic sets just don't have it. If they did then they would be a mass of beams and arms. It's just the nature of the way they are assembled. To get a good, rigid structure the beams need to be more tightly held together. The pins, though friction fit, are not good enough. You need a solid mechanical fastener, like a bolt. These vehicle too, have to be able to support their own weight. Once you start adding more motors, gears and pieces that weight creeps up to where the structure is just barely enough to support that weight let alone any additinal forces added when you start moving them or palying.

Confirm the comment on the Unimog according to a lot of review I read. They mention as well the effort put on the steering motor due to a bad placement of pivot points.

Indeed some official set have flaw in terms of conception/mechanics/geometry. This is often due to balance designers have to find between Design and functionality (and also the time they can spend developing a model I guess).

This is why I believe it is important to look at MOCers work as well as some of them are true Lego geniuses :) IMHO of course.

This is why I believe it is important to look at MOCers work as well as some of them are true Lego geniuses :) IMHO of course.

very true. Technic MOC'ers have done some wonderful stuff to improve the functionality and motorization functions of some of the stock Technic sets.

I don't think Lego designers take the time or they lack the necessary engineering skill to design the sets correctly right out of the gate.

• Like 1

very true. Technic MOC'ers have done some wonderful stuff to improve the functionality and motorization functions of some of the stock Technic sets.

I don't think Lego designers take the time or they lack the necessary engineering skill to design the sets correctly right out of the gate.

Ahem <4x4 Crawler> grumble grumble.

Search Searme on youtube and you'll see what a genius does with Technic.

p.s. 1000th post yay!

Ahem <4x4 Crawler> grumble grumble.

Search Searme on youtube and you'll see what a genius does with Technic.

p.s. 1000th post yay!

Yes Searme (aka Sariel) is one of the best Technic MOCers you can find on the web.

The only criticism you can make to him is to build too many MOC without taking the time to perfect them. He admits it though, and prefer quantity over, let's say perfection, because you already have the quality.

Still he is one of the best.

Try to look for Sheepo as well. He is one good MOCers.

P.S. Congrats on your 1000th post ;)

• 4 weeks later...