Difference between MISB & NISB

CNH1974

I think we have lost a post here. I have just had an email with a reply that is not here. Basically he says the opposite to my thoughts. I am coming to the conclusion that this term is subjective - unless there is an official defiition somewhere. I have often seen ebay auctions that say MISB when it has clearly been opened.

MISB is MINT in sealed box. Mint is NO imperfections. To find a truly MINT product is very RARE. When selling items I always put in my descriptions that my items are NOT MINT. If you say it is MINT any little imperfection will send someone into a tizzy. NISB is just New in a sealed box. New can have imperfections. It is confusing so I dont like to use either one of those terms because of this.

My usage - If something is in 'mint' condition, then it is in perfect condition. Like a coin that was just 'minted' but hasn't yet been in circulation, so it has no scratches on it. New, with respect to a Lego Set, means it has not been opened, but may have shelf wear or slight damage to the box. Although I do know some people list a set as 'New' when it has been opened but not built.

Pretty much every set I get is "New in Sealed Box", they are all in great cosmetic condition, no dings in the corners, creases in the package or damage to the seals. However, all of these boxes have some small issues that a discerning collector will pick out, slight issues that could have even happened in the manufacture of the set, I can always pick out some problem on just about any set on the shelf. A mint set would not have these flaws and would be extremely valuable if the set were rare and collectible, such as any of the old large scale models or UCS sets.

I agree. MISB means MINT in Sealed Box... No matter the age, it means the box is freaking perfect. No compression marks, no corner dents.. Just mint condition box and it is still sealed. NISB mean that the item is Brand New and still sealed. It makes no claims to the condition other than the fact it is New and Sealed. It means the box can have some cosmetic issues. I find it is always best to only describe an item as NISB when selling and let any collectors look at pictures to make their own judgments or ask for clarification through e-mail messages. This way, you aren't selling to an anal collector who will return the item because of a minor corner ding or slight scratch to the box.

Here is the way I judge it and to be quite honest, my expectations on box quality have lowered over the years. MISB: Sealed box. Box can be perfect or have VERY MINOR imperfections, like slight shelf wear or a small crease. The box does not have to be perfect, perfect. Really, most boxes are not perfect. NIB/NISB: Any LEGO set that has the inner contents(bricks) in the original plastic packages. They were never opened or the set built, but the box is not sealed and/or sealed in rough condition(major creases, dents, rips, etc...). Basically, if the box is sealed and in very good condition(not perfect), I consider it MISB. If the pieces have never been played with and are still sealed in their baggies, NIB is the choice.

Interesting the FAQ section does not mention NISB, we have MISB and NIB and everything else, used So that does not really clear anything up ( yes I am being argumentative ;) ). So back to the original query on the brick folio, they both effectively mean the same thing. I think this is where I came in ;) Also, Jeff/Ed if you read this, any chance of moving the FAQ link from the bottom of the pages to the side or top in the next site update, it took me a while to find it. I was looking on the homepage, top sides, thinking where is it, it must be somewhere obvious. It is but only if you scroll right down :)

We'll add it to the site objectives. Keep Stephen in line... ;) Getting back to the subject, the word Mint to me has always suggested something second hand. Like a classic car that may be 30 years old but looks like new. So for lego I think it must be sealed to to described as mint, but only be used for sets that have gone EOL. if the seals are broken then its used, but may be described 'as new'. I have seen listings saying MISB with a picture of the made up model sitting next to the box.

Interesting the FAQ section does not mention NISB, we have MISB and NIB and everything else, used So that does not really clear anything up ( yes I am being argumentative ;) ).

So back to the original query on the brick folio, they both effectively mean the same thing. I think this is where I came in ;)

Also, Jeff/Ed if you read this, any chance of moving the FAQ link from the bottom of the pages to the side or top in the next site update, it took me a while to find it. I was looking on the homepage, top sides, thinking where is it, it must be somewhere obvious. It is but only if you scroll right down :)

NISB is just a sealed set with a damaged box. For our purposes of the Price Guide, it is really new and used and a NISB is new. You have to understand there are different valuations of each set that only the owner of the set can approximate. If the base line average of all sorts of new sets is say $100(that includes, MISB, NISB, NIB), maybe a MISB is worth 10-20% more than the baseline average, maybe the NISB/NIB is worth 10-20% less than the mean. Used sets also have different values. Some used sets are almost new and deserve different values than beat up sets.

For future updates of the Brickfoilio, this "rating" or "adjustment" of a new or used set price can be added. Maybe we will come up with an option that if you click on MISB in your description for instance, it will automatically raise the value of the set 20%. There are tons of options we need and would like to add to the Brickfolio.

Right now, Jeff and I are wrapping up a MAJOR feature for the site and all resources are being put towards this new surprise. This new feature has really morphed from something simple to something rather complex and pretty damn cool, so it has taken longer to finish than we first thought. We will try to adjust the icon for the FAQs page in future updates. Thanks.

Thanks Ed! So for my pristine boxes I should check MISB and my damaged box 10214 I got at a discount from my local store should be NISB. Major update sounds cool. I'm glad I wasn't having one of my dyslexic moments and missing an obvious icon at the top of the page. I have done that many times. :)

• 8 years later...

I realise this is an old thread but still very actual.

MISB is Mint, I get that, but that would rule out any box purchased in a store or from Lego directly even. There is no chance that a box will not have not one imperfection. I purchased brand new boxes from the store, but the boxes have shelfware. So cannot be marked as MISB. 

And is there  market for MISB? Has to be the ultimate niche. I guess for now NISB is as good as it gets, any tiny scratch would downgrade a box from MISB to NISB. 

37 minutes ago, Poncke said:

I realise this is an old thread but still very actual.

MISB is Mint, I get that, but that would rule out any box purchased in a store or from Lego directly even. There is no chance that a box will not have not one imperfection. I purchased brand new boxes from the store, but the boxes have shelfware. So cannot be marked as MISB. 

And is there  market for MISB? Has to be the ultimate niche. I guess for now NISB is as good as it gets, any tiny scratch would downgrade a box from MISB to NISB. 

I never list as MISB... always state "good (or fair) condition box with minor shelf wear" even if it's a pristine box. They can look at the pictures to see it's a nice box. Buyers will call you out on anything more, complain and ask for a partial refund. CYA.

• Like 4

Also agreed. I just say “box is in excellent condition. Brand new and factory sealed. But look at pictures of box to determine for yourself.”  And I post 12 photos of every lego set I sell. 6 on each side. It’s so easy to do this now with cell phones. No reason to not do it. And I have free returns (which I’ve only had to do once). Especially because of this I don’t want any surprises to the buyer knowing they can return for free for any reason (as long as it’s not opened). I recently saw someone selling imperial flagship for $1500 and they had 1 photo shown. I’m thinking “what is that? You’re selling a set for $1500 and you can’t bother to take the time to show exact box condition”?!?

Edited by Gonkalin