Introduction, and one question.

Hi!

Here's my scenario. My son went off to college, and he had A LOT of LEGO sets. Before he left, we stored them in boxes and placed them in a safe storage compartment. Just for fun, I looked up what some of his sets could go for, compared to what we bought them for, and I was shocked to discover that some of them are worth 5x-8x what I purchased them for. I'm looking for a place online to track the total net worth of the entire LEGO portfolio. I read that BrickPicker has a great place on it's website for just what I'm looking for, the "Brickfolio", I believe is what it's called.

I read some forums and it looks like the Brickfolio is being updated at the moment, for which I'm willing to wait. I was just wondering if there's another, maybe older version or something like it that I can use while it's being updated? If not, is their another website or company that provides this service? The main reason for this is because I would like to sale them as soon as possible, so I would like to know the portfolios worth.

Finally, I'm not a LEGO investor/collector, my son always was though. He told me I could have them, or sell them, I prefer the latter. ;) If I can pick up a few hundred bucks, that would be awesome!

My son said that the most valuable themes he had where the Speed Champions, Architecture, and a few other specialty sets. He was a big batman and super hero guy, with about 50% of the portfolio being older super hero sets. From my research, it appears super-hero sets tend to not appreciate as well as others, is this true?

Here's an example. We bought him the LEGO Sydney set for about $23.99, now it's retailing on Amazon for $167.99!! Almost ALL the architecture themed sets have appreciated like this, along with about another 10-15 sets.

Any advice or answers to my questions would be a great help!

Thanks!

P.S This year has been insane! Has the LEGO market been affect any by these past events (Covid-19, riots, etc.) just a fun question! :)

One bit of advice. Don't look at Amazon prices to gauge market value. You will not get near those prices when selling due to several reasons...main reason being gated out of Amazon (you being unable to sell there). Your best bet is to look at sold listings on eBay (emphasis on sold) and subtract 14% and shipping costs from the average sold price. Be sure to look at used sets if your sets are built. This also assumes you have a decent seller feedback rating on eBay. Good luck!

• Like 1

welcome to the boards

Unless strapped for cash how about leaving the sets boxed up and letting it jump start your son's career (or student loan debt) or maybe allow him to come back to the hobby as an AFoL? Sorry if that felt like a guilt trip.

Brickset also has an inventory tracker you can use. Bricklink is the standard price guide many sellers use as a starting point for most prices (just search by set#) and they offer both new and used prices....by comparing recent prices to prior 6-months you get an idea how much Covid affected prices. Also a resource for set info and piece inventory (Brickset offers this too)

Used sets generally fetch between 60% to 80% of new set prices...selling used is more work because to get top dollar you need to have some idea of completeness (and that takes some research...especially if you're not a collector yourself)...missing Minifigures can drop the price significant (more than half in many cases). Also original manuals and original set boxes (even beat up) makes for a higher price.

If you live in a metro area it never hurts to try local sale...you'd be surprised how much 15% in fees, shipping problems, and scams can be.

Hi!
Here's my scenario. My son went off to college, and he had A LOT of LEGO sets. Before he left, we stored them in boxes and placed them in a safe storage compartment. Just for fun, I looked up what some of his sets could go for, compared to what we bought them for, and I was shocked to discover that some of them are worth 5x-8x what I purchased them for. I'm looking for a place online to track the total net worth of the entire LEGO portfolio. I read that BrickPicker has a great place on it's website for just what I'm looking for, the "Brickfolio", I believe is what it's called.
I read some forums and it looks like the Brickfolio is being updated at the moment, for which I'm willing to wait. I was just wondering if there's another, maybe older version or something like it that I can use while it's being updated? If not, is their another website or company that provides this service? The main reason for this is because I would like to sale them as soon as possible, so I would like to know the portfolios worth.
Finally, I'm not a LEGO investor/collector, my son always was though. He told me I could have them, or sell them, I prefer the latter. If I can pick up a few hundred bucks, that would be awesome!
My son said that the most valuable themes he had where the Speed Champions, Architecture, and a few other specialty sets. He was a big batman and super hero guy, with about 50% of the portfolio being older super hero sets. From my research, it appears super-hero sets tend to not appreciate as well as others, is this true?
Here's an example. We bought him the LEGO Sydney set for about $23.99, now it's retailing on Amazon for $167.99!! Almost ALL the architecture themed sets have appreciated like this, along with about another 10-15 sets.
Any advice or answers to my questions would be a great help!
Thanks!
P.S This year has been insane! Has the LEGO market been affect any by these past events (Covid-19, riots, etc.) just a fun question!
You need to know that the Amazon prices you see are for new sets. I am assuming that your sons sets are used? The Ebay sold price of a used Sydney set is around $65... IF you have the original box, instructions and go through and inventory the set to make sure all the pieces are there. If you don't have either instructions or box or all the pieces then it would be $55 or less, depending on how many pieces are missing.

My recommendation, unless you are trying to make buying and selling Lego a hobby, I would just make a list of all of the set numbers that you have. Look up the used sold prices on Ebay for each. Add those prices up, divide it by 2, and post it all for sale as one big lot on OfferUp and Facebook Marketplace... minimal work to get your few hundred dollars.

Thanks for the help guys! Fortunately, I do have the instructions and minifigures for all the sets. They are used, and most of the boxes are in okay condition, but the actual sets and instructions are in good condition!

I don't want to make Lego investing a hobby, I just want to get rid of the one's I have. I had a talk with my son, who is now in college, and we decided the best way to go about it is the sale them, and pay of the rest of his student loan debt off, or at least 65% of it. We were extremely careful about taking on debt, but this would help a lot.

The main reason he doesn't care about his sets is because he has a much bigger interest, a girlfriend. ;) We've discussed it a few times, and this is the best course of action!

Thanks for the help regarding the Lego portfolio also!