Clearance Stickers - Remove or No?

Does anyone bother to remove the clearance stickers on your sets intended for resale?  I was checking on eBay today to gauge values (Chima, specifically), and it doesn't appear that having the clearance stickers makes much difference in resale value.   I've been removing them, and in one or two cases it actually damaged the box, so now I am debating on just leaving them alone.   Thoughts?

Edited by CyberVinnie

18 minutes ago, CyberVinnie said:

Does anyone bother to remove the clearance stickers on your sets intended for resale?  I was checking on eBay today to gauge values (Chima, specifically), and it doesn't appear that having the clearance stickers makes much difference in resale value.   I've been removing them, and in one or two cases it actually damaged the box, so now I am debating on just leaving them alone.   Thoughts?

Always. Especially, if you care about your feedback.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, CyberVinnie said:

That's because your target sample has unique characteristics. I wouldn't apply Chima-based logic on any other theme/line. 

But that's just me. 

1 hour ago, donbee said:

That's because your target sample has unique characteristics. I wouldn't apply Chima-based logic on any other theme/line. 

But that's just me. 

I was planning to gift the Chima sets to my nephews, but I failed to get them interested.   They're more interested in computer games and sports than they are sitting down to build something.  It's too bad.   So now everything is getting ready for resale.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, terrymc4677 said:

Yes, absolutely. Buy a hair dryer. It works wonders. You don't want a snooty Amazon or eBay buyer seeing that the set they just paid $200 for only cost you $14.98.

Noted.  And I have one.   I've used that trick before.   Thanks!   

7 minutes ago, KShine said:

Unless you would also think it was wise to add a note with a shipment such as "Hey dumbass, thanks for giving me $200 for a set I just paid $15 for"

Yes, removing the clearance sticker is a very good idea.

LOL!   This is exactly what was going through my mind when I saw clearance stickers in eBay listings.   I was hoping it wasn't a thing, but you never know.   I record Pawn Stars, and they had a similar situation with a Saved By the Bell doll that had a clearance sticker on it, and the "expert" said it didn't effect value.   Then I saw them on eBay.   i always removed them in the past, so I thought I'd just double check that it wasn't all of a sudden a "thing".   

I was planning to gift the Chima sets to my nephews, but I failed to get them interested.   They're more interested in computer games and sports than they are sitting down to build something.  It's too bad.   So now everything is getting ready for resale.

You must’ve missed my post where i confessed to giving my failed “investments” to my kids’ friends that I dislike. See Jyn Buildable.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, donbee said:

You must’ve missed my post where i confessed to giving my failed “investments” to my kids’ friends that I dislike. See Jyn Buildable.

Yes, I missed it, but I'll admit that most of my time on here before was spent in the Brickfolio.  Since it's offline, and I cracked the seal on my storage unit, I'm venturing back out of my hole.    :)

I'm glad I didn't go too deep on Chima, Ninjago and Nexo Knights, but I am glad I did on Bionicle.   Although my cost of entry on Chima was 50-75% off, and many are above RRP now, so I doubt I will lose anything.   Most of the Bionicle I got for $3-7, but now they're going for $15-60 depending on the set.   Nice little profit there percentage-wise (assuming there is still a market).   I am in VERY deep into Star Wars, but that's mainly because I collected Star Wars for more than two decades (even non-LEGO), so that was more "collecting" than "investing".   Everything else was meant to subsidize that collecting habit.

I always remove any clearance or sale sticker, you can choose to keep the original price tag though. It's a feel good thing, no one wants to be reminded that they blew 150 on something when the seller pay 50 bucks. You have nothing to lose other than time in removing them, lighter fluid gets it out in 30 seconds. 

On 7/14/2020 at 1:43 PM, CyberVinnie said:

Absolutely -- especially in today's world.  People get very offended when they realize you are selling for profit.

10 hours ago, Porvida said:

For sure remove them. Yesterday I had an eBay sale that did in person pick up and I could tell he was offended I bought the set on clearance and sold it for more. He asked me what I paid and where I got it etc.

I try to avoid in person pick-up. Too many weirdos out there.

• Like 1