Quarantine Trends - LEGO Online Selling Prices

On 5/14/2020 at 6:16 AM, iahawks550 said:

Well, in the old days😁, people would write you a check for higher priced items, as most didn't carry larger amounts of cash. There was a slight (or higher) chance of the check being fraudulent. Hence the phrase. 

But today, yeah, it's kind of stupid and irrelevant. 

You'll take a check?  Hell, I thought you wanted money.

I looked at the UCS Sandcrawler today and it's moved off MSRP, even on the 'Bay.  I may try to move one just to get it off the books and out of storage.

7 minutes ago, Pseudoty said:

Anyone use the FB Marketplace Free Shipping on LEGO sets?  I got a popup that my listings are eligible to help decrease contact and spread.  

Yes.  Using it on more than Lego as well. Trying to move low price items that would normally not be worth shipping.  Listed 4 items first day and sold 2 in 24 hours.   The covid message was there before it started though.  They had been rolling out the shipping on the app end prior to select accounts and now are pushing it with the free shipping labels through 6/30 in select categories up to 10lb limit 

Edited by ravenb99
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pseudoty said:

Anyone use the FB Marketplace Free Shipping on LEGO sets?  I got a popup that my listings are eligible to help decrease contact and spread.  

How did you receive this message? Did it come when looking at your listings? I had a potential buyer refer to this message and I had no idea what she was talking about. She told me I could ship her items for free and I was very confused. I asked her to send a message with a screenshot of what she had found on FB regarding free shipping, but she never got back to me, so I assumed she was just another person who wanted me to do something that didn't make sense.

25 minutes ago, BillyBricks said:

How did you receive this message? Did it come when looking at your listings? I had a potential buyer refer to this message and I had no idea what she was talking about. She told me I could ship her items for free and I was very confused. I asked her to send a message with a screenshot of what she had found on FB regarding free shipping, but she never got back to me, so I assumed she was just another person who wanted me to do something that didn't make sense.

You need to just click on marketplace then selling if it's an item that was up before it started.  Click edit listing and if you are eligible it will allow you to change it to local pickup and shipping then choose the free label option.  The whole lisitng layout changed when it rolled out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ravenb99 said:

Yes.  Using it on more than Lego as well. Trying to move low price items that would normally not be worth shipping.  Listed 4 items first day and sold 2 in 24 hours.   The covid message was there before it started though.  They had been rolling out the shipping on the app end prior to select accounts and now are pushing it with the free shipping labels through 6/30 in select categories up to 10lb limit 

So how do you “pay”? I had a guy make an offer on a used 75054 with free shipping. Do I accept, pay and get reimbursed or is there a checkout screen.

Also, while I have your attention, I sold a stereo speaker for $699 on eBay yesterday and I always do free shipping but this weighed 44lbs so I tried calculated buyer pays. It sold same day to a “toy centric” kinda guy that is a FF to Japan, Shop Airlines Inc, you have probably dealt with them. So he didn’t have to pay tax but shipping for him was $94 for FedEx ground and that is what was sent to my PayPal. When I printed the shipping label on eBay it gave me 50% off the base rate then I added declared vale and signature. Does Paypal refund him the difference for the actual cost of shipping? Lastly when does the FedEx real cost of shipping hit my account and where do you look for that info. I always go with the “Fast n Free” seems to help things move for us non-TRS+ people. Any other PRO tips to help make more money with calculated shipping? 

Bill me for your time ;) 

37 minutes ago, Pseudoty said:

So how do you “pay”? I had a guy make an offer on a used 75054 with free shipping. Do I accept, pay and get reimbursed or is there a checkout screen.

Also, while I have your attention, I sold a stereo speaker for $699 on eBay yesterday and I always do free shipping but this weighed 44lbs so I tried calculated buyer pays. It sold same day to a “toy centric” kinda guy that is a FF to Japan, Shop Airlines Inc, you have probably dealt with them. So he didn’t have to pay tax but shipping for him was $94 for FedEx ground and that is what was sent to my PayPal. When I printed the shipping label on eBay it gave me 50% off the base rate then I added declared vale and signature. Does Paypal refund him the difference for the actual cost of shipping? Lastly when does the FedEx real cost of shipping hit my account and where do you look for that info. I always go with the “Fast n Free” seems to help things move for us non-TRS+ people. Any other PRO tips to help make more money with calculated shipping? 

Bill me for your time ;) 

the orders I have had I didn't have to do anything.  It just said I have a pending order.  Had to put a bank account on there again for payments to be sent to and then it allows you to print the free label.  For an offer that you want to accept I would just say you would edit the listing and change the price then he can purchase on his own through facebook.  Once you print the label it goes to shipped status.  Assume when it gets scanned delivered it will go into your orders page.  

I have never used the calculated shipping options.  Just use my own UPS account through worldship and upload the tracking.    That whole last paragraph just sounds like way to much for my head to compute anyways.  You know me I'm lazy on that type of stuff.

So the facebook did update and put a day in for you payout.  Also says this message:

Payment will be initiated 17 days after you mark an item as shipped, or 10 days after it's delivered if we receive delivery confirmation. Refunds will be deducted from your next payment.

They give you like 5 days to ship which I found amusing.  

Edited by ravenb99

1 hour ago, KShine said:

So 2 full months into this sales boost (3/17 is when I saw the huge uptick start) - How long can it go? Does it need to stop? Can we be entering a new golden age for lego reselling?

I have a feeling the bubble may burst soon. I'm a very small time seller, but have already seen a pretty big downturn over the past week or so. When folks were getting stimulus checks and assuming everything would just return to normal in 30-60 days, it was gravy train time. Now that the economic reality is setting in, I think we're going to see some serious belt tightening. Just my two cents....hope I'm wrong!

So many sets are now backordered or out of stock at Lego USA, we're seeing a natural migration of those buyers onto Ebay and Amazon.   I'm seeing the most strength on expensive sets, and I suspect the biggest percentage of these buyers are fairly affluent, and a huge percentage are living their best life through this pandemic with no commute in a new home office gig. 

The big question is "How long will it take Lego to catch up with supply and how will this affect product availability for the remainder of the year.  That's the million dollar question.  I have no idea what the real impact of this lost production time will be.  Lego might not know either.

Edited by enotoga
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Lego Lass said:

I have a feeling the bubble may burst soon. I'm a very small time seller, but have already seen a pretty big downturn over the past week or so. When folks were getting stimulus checks and assuming everything would just return to normal in 30-60 days, it was gravy train time. Now that the economic reality is setting in, I think we're going to see some serious belt tightening. Just my two cents....hope I'm wrong!

This makes sense though, when you have billions being provided to people, they are going to spend it. When the billions are used up, so goes extra sales.  The big question will be, how much spendable income will be available from now until xmas and further.

Edited by LegoMan1212
  • Like 1

I'm sure the stimulus package helped but this is primarily being driven by people staying at home all the time and unable to go anywhere. As states start to open up and warmer weather comes I would expect this bubble to burst a little. A second wave either in the summer or the fall would probably make prices go back up.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LegoMan1212 said:

This makes sense though, when you have billions being provided to people, they are going to spend it. When the billions are used up, so goes extra sales. 

Things took off a month before anyone got a check (even before word spread that stimulus checks were coming) - There is simply a lot of money out there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

Does Paypal refund him the difference for the actual cost of shipping? 

Most likely not.

Lastly when does the FedEx real cost of shipping hit my account and where do you look for that info. I always go with the “Fast n Free” seems to help things move for us non-TRS+ people. Any other PRO tips to help make more money with calculated shipping? 

It will show up at the very bottom of your monthly eBay bill.  There is a known issue where you may get billed for more than the estimate shown when you print the Fedex label on eBay.  So you never know if you actually get that 50% off until your next eBAy bill arrive

Bill me for your time ;) 

I accept Ninjago Mechs as payment ;) 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, enotoga said:

So many sets are now backordered or out of stock at Lego USA, we're seeing a natural migration of those buyers onto Ebay and Amazon.   I'm seeing the most strength on expensive sets, and I suspect the biggest percentage of these buyers are fairly affluent, and a huge percentage are living their best life through this pandemic with no commute in a new home office gig. 

The big question is "How long will it take Lego to catch up with supply and how will this affect product availability for the remainder of the year.  That's the million dollar question.  I have no idea what the real impact of this lost production time will be.  Lego might not know either.

I suspect it will not be easy (if even possible) for LEGO to catch up - I suspect that many sets will go eol that weren't planned to be ending, as they choose to focus on the winners (and attempt to keep up production plans on new sets).

Edited by KShine
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, KShine said:

I suspect it will not be easy (if even possible) for LEGO to catch up - I suspect that many sets will go eol that weren't planned to be ending, as they choose to focus on the winners (and attempt to keep up production plans on new sets).

I don't trust LEGOs statements anymore, they messed up so many times. I hope the last one was truthful though, as they said that covid won't affect exit dates. We'll see.

We’ll see. There’s two classes of people emerging from this—those who still have pay checks and jobs and those who are suffering likely irreparable damage to their lively hoods and careers. Summer camps and pools are going to be slow to reopen if at all, so likely some parents are going to be putting that money into something productive, like LEGO. I’m not too worried about things right now in terms of production. The big thing is to notice trends and quickly adapt to it and that is what makes this site and community so valuable.
  • Like 1

We’ll see. There’s two classes of people emerging from this—those who still have pay checks and jobs and those who are suffering likely irreparable damage to their lively hoods and careers. Summer camps and pools are going to be slow to reopen if at all, so likely some parents are going to be putting that money into something productive, like LEGO. I’m not too worried about things right now in terms of production. The big thing is to notice trends and quickly adapt to it and that is what makes this site and community so valuable.

All I’m gonna say is start selling pools on eBay and amazon. Easy money just gotta be careful for shipping depending on location.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Most likely not.

Good.

It will show up at the very bottom of your monthly eBay bill.  There is a known issue where you may get billed for more than the estimate shown when you print the Fedex label on eBay.  So you never know if you actually get that 50% off until your next eBAy bill arrive

Ugh I have to actually read my line item Ebay invoice  

I accept Ninjago Mechs as payment ;) 

I still have that one unbuilt  I can list it on FB Market place to take advantage of the free shipping  

2 hours ago, Mark Twain said:

I know it won’t last unless the Heroes bill passes, but don’t forget the third class of people those that were making $8 - $10/hr that are now making $25/hr to stay home. Even though consumer credit card debt is down and savings is up they are spending that money and with most stores closed or OOS the secondary market is thriving. 

I know it won’t last unless the Heroes bill passes, but don’t forget the third class of people those that were making $8 - $10/hr that are now making $25/hr to stay home. Even though consumer credit card debt is down and savings is up they are spending that money and with most stores closed or OOS the secondary market is thriving. 

They won’t make $25/hour forever.