COVID-19 / Coronavirus Discussion

CosmicSpeed

forgive my ignorance, its why I asked. Ive lost a lot of my biblical background. Its been over 23 years since I was confirmed, but was raised baptized, was the little drummer boy of my congregation for 3 years as well as altar boy for 4 years. My family left our church (thank goodness) in the late nineties when they were voicing political opposition for equal rights to homosexuals. 

Gravity keeps our feet on the ground; not rotational inertia. In fact a high enough tangential velocity can counter gravity as in how satellites stay in orbit. We do know that all things with mass exert a gravitational force on all other things with mass but why is a mystery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, junkrigger said:

Gravity keeps our feet on the ground; not rotational inertia.

Agreed, that's why I said atmosphere not space.  

1 hour ago, BricksBrotha said:

if the earth ever stopped for even a second, all people, animals, rocks, topsoil, trees, buildings and so on would be swept away into the atmosphere.

'At the Equator, the earth's rotational motion is at its fastest, about a thousand miles an hour. If that motion suddenly stopped, the momentum would send things flying eastward. Moving rocks and oceans would trigger earthquakes and tsunamis. The still-moving atmosphere would scour landscapes.'

It would have also caused one day to be half year of darkness and a half year of light.  (If still orbiting the sun) which would have been recorded in the bible no? I mean why document the stoppage and not the outcome?

1 hour ago, BricksBrotha said:

Aren't their people who only follow OT, some only follow NT and others follow both?  Almost sounds like 3 separate religions but one God?

True. Jewish individuals don't recognize the NT as valid. However, Christians do. Biblically speaking, you can't deny that the God of the NT is the God of the OT. However, there may be some Christians that do deny this. Really, this would be a cult since they are denying part of the Scripture, but that's a separate discussion ;). 

A lot of people prefer the NT over the OT due to it being more relatable and ,in some peoples opinions, practical. However, this does discount important truths taught in the OT including truths foundational to our faith. It's either an all or nothing thing (that's what I believe). You either believe it all (both books) or it's all a lie and not worth believing in at all. 

• Like 1

Ok I see what you mean, if the earth rotation were to stop almost instantaneously while everything on it kept their momentum then yes there would be some effects but what those are exactly I would not know until doing some calculations and thinking. But the force required to stops the earths rotation quickly would be staggering. Alas Science and religion are seldom in agreement, one seems to be based on faith and past words while the other on verifiable observation and experimentation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thank you i was genuinely interested in your ‘logic’. since you offered, out of the 5000+ gods we humans have established, which god are you referring to? Kinda sounds like old testament? or is it the new testament you prefer?
If i’ve got this straight, you are basing life decisions and medical advice on a book(s) that also claims the earth stopped rotating at one point as well as the sun standing still. (Joshua 10:12-14) Being in autocross, you should recognize the value of physics. And Physics is clear on this one. if the earth ever stopped for even a second, all people, animals, rocks, topsoil, trees, buildings and so on would be swept away into the atmosphere.
And of course, everybody except a biblical author knows that bats are not birds nor can leprosy be cured by sprinkling the blood of birds seven times throughout the house. (leviticus 14:49-53)
And those are only a few examples of over 200,000-400,000 contradictions/inaccuracies contained in said books. Conveiently enough, which were written/rewritten/retold during a very dark period in human history(frequent genocide, poverty, famine, mass enslavement, mass illiteracy).
So in short, yes, I support people’s own decision to get vaccinated.  But only when that decision is based on medical concerns.
Because to me, public health is of a greater concern than that of a persons religious orientation.

If there is an all powerful god (which personally I believe that there is), and this god created the universe, established all the laws of physics, the laws of logic, etc... don't you think that it would be possible for that god to also suspend the laws of physics and/or the rotation of something that it had created?

You shouldn't try to criticize or judge someone's religious beliefs without at least trying to understand what their beliefs are. You are the most judgemental hypocritical person on this forum.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

59 minutes ago, Shortbus311 said:

If there is an all powerful god (which personally I believe that there is), and this god created the universe, established all the laws of physics, the laws of logic, etc... don't you think that it would be possible for that god to also suspend the laws of physics and/or the rotation of something that it had created? 

I respect and understand the need for answers. But given all the evolution of understanding the true nature of our flight path as a celestial body.

image.gif.763dccccca81432e5ffaffe57f3e485c.gif

The hypothetical you speak of becomes quiet hard to visualize with this in mind. Not saying impossible. Maybe, maybe in the antiquated solar system maps. BIG maybe.  

I do agree with a higher level of energy (power).  But I also think we only understand a fraction of our species past, planets past, solar system galaxy universes past. We are though gifted with a brain capable of these higher level of conscienceness thoughts.  We all have faith, it’s just a matter of where that faith lies. 

1 hour ago, Shortbus311 said:

You shouldn't try to criticize or judge someone's religious beliefs without at least trying to understand what their beliefs are. You are the most judgemental hypocritical person on this forum.

So communicating by asking questions and trying to understand (what you literally said to do) you chime in with big issues?!

we’ve come this far as a species and should recognize the importance of public and community health.  Especially given the reliance on a global economy. When certain choices become roadblocks for acquiring said health, scrutiny should not only be normalize but also weary of backlash. 

I am hesitate to add but am not surprised by your rather harsh words. Especially coming from a user name from what appears to be making light of a handicap bus, which I’m sure was funny at some point in your life?

You aren't respecting anyone when you start a sentence "genuinely interested in your 'logic'". You are just being smug and come off as an a$$hat.

So by your 'logic' (see how insulting that sounds), anything that you can't imagine or is hard for you to visualize is impossible? How about quantum mechanics? A lot of that stuff is hard to visualize... I guess it must be impossible then.

I hate hearing all these people saying "trust the science" as if agenda driven science has never lied to anyone in the past. How about Germany in the early 1940's... the "science" there said that Jewish people were "genetically diseased". Should everyone have just trusted "the science"?

Everyone has a right to decide what they put into their body. Liberals are all about "my body, my choice" when it comes to abortion, but then suddenly flip flop when it comes to vaccines? (And no, I am not trying to get into a debate on abortion, just speaking to the hypocrisy).

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Shortbus311 said:

Liberals are all about "my body, my choice" when it comes to abortion, but then suddenly flip flop when it comes to vaccines? (And no, I am not trying to get into a debate on abortion, just speaking to the hypocrisy).

Fair enough, keep resorting to ad hominem, I don’t mind.  Insulting someone is simply a collection of words expressed through physical means.

I find it interesting, a discussion about religion and higher level powers, you interject about politics and abortion. (Not to mention anger and frustration)

Then say you don’t want to talk about it?! I’m fairly certain that’s not how conversations work.  Free tip: If you don’t want to talk about something, best avoid it altogether than actually, you know, bringing it up. 

I will sign off just how you did. 

Conservatives are all about "my body, my choice" when it comes to vaccines, masks, & public health but then suddenly flip flop when it comes to abortions? 

Fair enough, keep resorting to ad hominem, I don’t mind.  Insulting someone is simply a collection of words expressed through physical means.
I find it interesting, a discussion about religion and higher level powers, you interject about politics and abortion. (Not to mention anger and frustration)
Then say you don’t want to talk about it?! I’m fairly certain that’s not how conversations work.  Free tip: If you don’t want to talk about something, best avoid it altogether than actually, you know, bringing it up. 
I will sign off just how you did. 

Conservatives are all about "my body, my choice" when it comes to vaccines, masks, & public health but then suddenly flip flop when it comes to abortions? 

Whatever you say bud... but in the post directly before this one weren't you attacking me and my screen name instead of the arguments? But you're right, I'm the only one arguing with the ad hominem fallacy.

If you look up at the top of this thread this discussion is actually about covid, not about religion or god. Religion and god can effect choices when it comes to covid, but citing specific biblical passages that you believe to be false has absolutely nothing to do with covid, it is just attacking another members religious beliefs in an attempt to make yourself feel more secure in your own beliefs.

I brought up abortion as a comparative example of the vaccine, not to discuss the morality of it.

If you want to discuss the existence of god or morality of abortion with me then you are more than welcome to pm me. I am done checking this thread though.

• Like 1

Just so we are clear b/c you seem confused.

16 hours ago, Shortbus311 said:

You are the most judgemental hypocritical person on this forum.

13 hours ago, Shortbus311 said:

You are just being smug and come off as an a$$hat.

These are attacks.

14 hours ago, BricksBrotha said:

coming from a user name from what appears to be making light of a handicap bus, which I’m sure was funny at some point in your life?

But this an attack?  You had every chance to clear up any confusion yet instead decided to play victim and resort to argument. 

3 hours ago, Shortbus311 said:

Whatever you say bud... 

If you look up at the top of this thread this discussion is actually about covid, not about religion or god. 

Are you feeling ok? You go from calling me smug -> asshat -> judgmental -> hypocritical and now bud?!  That escalated quickly!

I know you wont be reading this😋 but at least we can end on a agreement. 

When discussing a global pandemic of a novel virus, religion should have no relevance.

Yet here we are.

Stay safe out there folks ✌️😷

• Confused 1

On 2/20/2022 at 2:24 PM, BricksBrotha said:

thank you i was genuinely interested in your ‘logic’. since you offered, out of the 5000+ gods we humans have established, which god are you referring to? Kinda sounds like old testament? or is it the new testament you prefer?

If i’ve got this straight, you are basing life decisions and medical advice on a book(s) that also claims the earth stopped rotating at one point as well as the sun standing still. (Joshua 10:12-14) Being in autocross, you should recognize the value of physics. And Physics is clear on this one. if the earth ever stopped for even a second, all people, animals, rocks, topsoil, trees, buildings and so on would be swept away into the atmosphere.

And of course, everybody except a biblical author knows that bats are not birds nor can leprosy be cured by sprinkling the blood of birds seven times throughout the house. (leviticus 14:49-53)

And those are only a few examples of over 200,000-400,000 contradictions/inaccuracies contained in said books. Conveiently enough, which were written/rewritten/retold during a very dark period in human history(frequent genocide, poverty, famine, mass enslavement, mass illiteracy).

So in short, yes, I support people’s own decision to get vaccinated.  But only when that decision is based on medical concerns.

Because to me, public health is of a greater concern than that of a persons religious orientation.

Part of the wonderfulness of Religion is that it requires faith.  It is not based on logic or proven concepts.  It is literally a leap of faith.  Which is the cost of entry.  I personally believe impossibilities like you quoted where guided by God to sow doubt and help establish the faith requirement.  Because free will is a thing and you have to decide of your own accord to believe.  If I could snap my fingers and prove my faith beyond any shadow of a doubt, then it wouldn't be worth anything, because a measure of faith and trust would no longer be required.  There is a logical science side of human nature and their is a vast spiritual side of human nature.  Both must be nurtured and supported in harmony, not opposition.

As far as public health....why?  By all available facts and your own posted positions, if you have the vaccine and booster you are safe (which the majority have at this point).  You are 99.99999% not dying from COVID.  So why do you care.....let people make that choice with their own bodies and go about your day.  Some even take the Darwinism view and are happy about it, as those who are dumb are dying off (which is fine view by me, if a little morbid).  At this point the vast majority of un-vaccinated are aware of the risks.  Same with smokers......they all know its bad but some still choose to partake.  Again, if I could snap my fingers and everyone in the world was 100% vaccinated......guess what......COVID would still transmit and there would still be a background level of deaths.  So the public health argument does not hold water.  We don't shut down the entire highway system when the occasional tragic accident happens because as a society we have deemed that an acceptable risk to living life and productivity.

• Like 3