What’s The Scam-eBay

Porvida

So I have a fairly expensive set listed at buy it now for middle point of all listings of this set (about $400).

I get a message today from a buyer with 0 feedback and it just seems off. 

They first volunteer how they “must have” this set. Then next sentence tell me they are disabled so spending this amount of money is absurd for them but they are going to anyway. Then they state how the item has to be sealed, must be shipped in double boxes and that I must accept return if there is any damage (even though my listing says “no returns”).  

My listing guarantees sealed set and new condition.

I hate to jump to the fact this instantly feels like a scam but I always trust my first instincts. 

I figured I will ship and they will claim it was damaged and want to return with me paying shipping and they will simply exchange the exact same set they already have with damage to me for my set that’s in undamaged condition.  

Any ideas or suggestions? 

8 minutes ago, Porvida said:

So I have a fairly expensive set listed at buy it now for middle point of all listings of this set (about $400).

I get a message today from a buyer with 0 feedback and it just seems off. 

They first volunteer how they “must have” this set. Then next sentence tell me they are disabled so spending this amount of money is absurd for them but they are going to anyway. Then they state how the item has to be sealed, must be shipped in double boxes and that I must accept return if there is any damage (even though my listing says “no returns”).  

My listing guarantees sealed set and new condition.

I hate to jump to the fact this instantly feels like a scam but I always trust my first instincts. 

I figured I will ship and they will claim it was damaged and want to return with me paying shipping and they will simply exchange the exact same set they already have with damage to me for my set that’s in undamaged condition.  

Any ideas or suggestions? 

Block the buyer but stay sweet with them by first suggesting they buy one of the cheaper ones on offer as you don´t offer returns.  IF you send them a link to one of your competitors, better still.

If you really want to sell it to them then insisting on wire transfer or another method of payment with no chargeback will probably test if they are legit.

Also try to get their name/ location details out of them if possible in case they try again with another account.

People who ask for a lower price without making an actual counter offer and box fetishists can be nothing but trouble. There is also the possibility they are another reseller/dropshipper but YMMV if you want to go down the route of supplying them. Guess is it depends on how easy the item is to sell.

Edited by Val-E

2 minutes ago, Porvida said:

That’s a good idea.

I agree about the box sniffers as well. I understand wanting a nice box without creases but these are not items we are having graded like sports cards or action figures.

They could be a legit buyer but when people start putting conditions on a sale from the outset, it is usually a red flag as you stated. Passing them on to a rival could kill two birds with one stone. Not offering returns is your get out of jail pass as you will not be able to compy with what they want.

Edited by Val-E

Yep I agree and the zero feedback always is a red flag.

Almost all zero feedback that I have ever done business with do not demand things from the outset about condition or returns, etc.

Instead they always may ask questions, like “this is a gift and I want to make sure it arrives on time” or “is this the set with X, my kid wants it and don’t want to buy the wrong one.”

" Then next sentence tell me they are disabled so spending this amount of money is absurd for them but they are going to anyway."

I can't afford to spend $400 on a toy, because I'm on a fixed income, but I'm going to anyways. I'll probably regret it when I receive it because I can't buy groceries.

Fruitcakes are fruitcakes. I would not expect this to go well.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, iahawks550 said:

" Then next sentence tell me they are disabled so spending this amount of money is absurd for them but they are going to anyway."

I can't afford to spend $400 on a toy, because I'm on a fixed income, but I'm going to anyways. I'll probably regret it when I receive it because I can't buy groceries.

Fruitcakes are fruitcakes. I would not expect this to go well.

Haha yeh , delete.