Ideas #031: 21323 - Grand Piano

Alpinemaps

18 hours ago, TheOrcKing said:

Impressively fantastic real world design. That seat looks a tad uncomfortable for the ol' tuchus though.

As a player of the piano, I can assure you that the designer was simply trying to replicate non flat piano benches. The piano bench with all those points is supposed to resemble a pillowed non-even surface of a bench. These benches are among some of the most comfortable as it does not leave impressions from when you sit while you practice. This gives it a nicer and classier look when you have your piano and bench out in the open. The folds in the pillow not only offer nice detail but make it much more presentable than flat cushied piano benches.

Of course there other alternative are wooden benches. However, these are harder(obviously) and can leave someone's behind slightly sore after practicing for a couple of hours because it is so flat.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Saruman said:

As a player of the piano, I can assure you that the designer was simply trying to replicate non flat piano benches. The piano bench with all those points is supposed to resemble a pillowed non-even surface of a bench. These benches are among some of the most comfortable as it does not leave impressions from when you sit while you practice. This gives it a nicer and classier look when you have your piano and bench out in the open. The folds in the pillow not only offer nice detail but make it much more presentable than flat cushied piano benches.

And here I thought the usage of roof wedges were there just to make the bench more interesting visually. I imagined there had to be some sort of market for such a seat but honestly had no idea really. Also you're a pianist. Bravo!

2 hours ago, TheOrcKing said:

And here I thought the usage of roof wedges were there just to make the bench more interesting visually. I imagined there had to be some sort of market for such a seat but honestly had no idea really. Also you're a pianist. Bravo!

Thanks! looking back at my post, I am sorry if I came across a little snobby(maybe I didn't). I saw the bench and instantly recognized what they were going for and was confused why someone would think otherwise :) 

9 hours ago, Brystheguy said:

I think they were going for this. 

For the scale the builder matched that fairly well then.... and looks comfy to boot.

7 hours ago, Saruman said:

Thanks! looking back at my post, I am sorry if I came across a little snobby(maybe I didn't). I saw the bench and instantly recognized what they were going for and was confused why someone would think otherwise :) 

Nothing snobbish in your response I could see. Now I suppose if I were to go back and read it in an Astor Clement voice perhaps then. Haha. Anywho my original observation stemmed from seeing the individual pointy parts on top the bench build instead of the aesthetic pattern formed as a whole. In short, my imagination shrugged. Ha.

• Alpinemaps changed the title to Ideas #031?: xxxxx - Playable LEGO Piano

I love the box art. Very classy.  I think I have to decide upon NES or this on day 1. Don't want to do both right away.  Wonder which has greater chance of selling out.  I'd guess the NES since it could pull in gamers that maybe aren't your traditional Lego buyer.  It also costs less so it's more accessible. 

16 minutes ago, CosmicSpeed said:

This is incredibly impressive. Great use of the powered up and App functions. This is a perfect representation of Lego taking the Ideas theme in the right direction from Fan Concept to Final Product.

Its not on my day 1 list, but its made THE list for sure. 

Agree this is exactly what the idea line was about, I'm absolutely blown away by this, such an amazing build.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BricksBrotha said:

The price point seems a bit high.  Im gonna go out on a limb here and say this will be like the pop-up book. once the novelty wears off, could be had for a decent discount, 20-40% off. Still unsure if that will be enough for me to invest.

Understandable. But I think this is different, from say the Disney Train, in that there was no need to bundle in the new Power Up in that set to inflate the price. I would image most train fans already have motors they can use.

I don't think it will be quite as bad as the Pop Up Book, that this was kitchy, and I hate mine. Its an interesting choice for sure, and Im with @Mathew in that Apps eventually expire, so the Afterlife has the potentially to be limited.

The engineering involved in this is truly a marvel. Just incredible.

Still concerned that the prototype actually played music and this doesn’t, though. Totally get that LEGO didn’t want to have to worry about people tuning the strings on their mini pianos but seems to be less of a cost/complexity decision and more of an annoyance decision. 

I was super excited for this set but at this price point (and with the NES releasing on the same day) not sure if it’s a day one purchase for me. May wait it out and see how it sells....

5 minutes ago, MotorCityMuscle said:

is this one a LEGO only exclusive? Maybe some QFLL on this one?

Sets a neat idea. I don't see this as a QFLL opportunity myself. First it has to sell out at what... $350,  and then tack on a profit and fees. Customers I think will wait for deal. By the time its EOL the app will probably suck.  IMO

It just gets more and more ridiculous how impressive 2020's lineup is though. The intricacy of the build is so impressive. I'm just imagining at the end of 2019, where Lego's board is talking about how they have high expectations for 2020 and that it will be the "Best year ever". And here we stand...

Just now, spener90 said:

It just gets more and more ridiculous how impressive 2020's lineup is though. The intricacy of the build is so impressive. I'm just imagining at the end of 2019, where Lego's board is talking about how they have high expectations for 2020 and that it will be the "Best year ever". And here we stand...

Totally agreed. This current lineup is amazing and is bankrupting me 😜

1 hour ago, Darth_Raichu said:

The app is a concern at this price point.  On the other hand, how many would care about this app 5-7 years later?  Maybe I am overthinking this :dontknow:

The app is central to the functions. No app then no music. That’s a big negative for those long term holds.  Not sure how else LEGO could’ve done it but the set has very limited appeal for me due to this.