LEGO Masters TV series

I love kids.. my daughter was eating toast while I was watching GMA and she blurts out "Dad, look, it's the Lego Masters guy!" Hahaha, made my heart smile while my brain said errr not quite but I could see how she saw some resemblance.  Jamie has certainly got some salt and pepper going on!  :)

20200407_073145.jpg

• Haha 3

Spoiler Alert  

So now I know why they spent so much time on Sam and Jessica in the first few episodes, their growth and final build masterpiece The Peacock will win them the title. 

Their defence on Crait build should have won yesterday, that was spectacular.

Their defence on Crait build should have won yesterday, that was spectacular. 
Mark and Boone really suffered and shouldnt have won in my eyes. They built very basic trees, one AT-ST and added premade bushes and minifigs. No dimension, only size.

I thought the same about their DoC build, but would have wanted it a tad larger. Compared to the others, it was a bit smaller but had a lot of really great details.

I really liked the end result of Tyler and Amy's droid in the first half, it had a good balance of character and function.  Mark and Boone's was pretty dark and blocky.

For the second half of the show I think they all did pretty good for the time they had.  I noticed Sam and Jessica used trans clear panels to help lift/support their vehicles but Tyler and Amy used solid white, that was interesting.

There's a video out on YouTube from Beyond the Brick right now where Boone shows off an ewok village amusement park and explains he had the idea before being on the show and that's where the vertical lift coaster idea came from (to not have to use red high-angle coaster tracks).  Interesting it's also ewok villiage, so basically built it twice.

Edited by MusiKyle
Added video link

I haven’t read a single message in this thread, but watched the first ep last night.

Wow! What a wild ride. Looking forward to binging this show. Tons of fun.

I just don’t get the talent these folks have, tho. I’m in awe. And wish I could get some BTS footage for some of these builds.

38 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

And wish I could get some BTS footage for some of these builds.

unless I'm just bad at searching, I can't believe that there doesn't seem to be ANY supplemental content for this show. Why not have tons of photos of every build on the website? Why not have a bunch of extra behind the scenes clips available? Seems like they are missing a huge opportunity to feed the flames of this shows popularity.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, HappyHawkeye said:

unless I'm just bad at searching, I can't believe that there doesn't seem to be ANY supplemental content for this show. Why not have tons of photos of every build on the website? Why not have a bunch of extra behind the scenes clips available? Seems like they are missing a huge opportunity to feed the flames of this shows popularity.

While I 100% agree about BTS stuff and more model photos, there is quite a bit of social media presence and additional building live streams with other lego masters aimed at interactivity with kids who love the show.

I know you guys have already talked this, but the Lumberjack guys having that huge rollercoaster (that ended up not working) was very cool.

The newlyweds with their egg drop was interesting. I wanted to know how those mechanisms worked, especially the lumberjack rollercoaster. The up/down mechanism is interesting to me (I am clueless when it comes to gears/motors/Technic stuff)

The contestants have a huge social media showing.  I've put together an article with links to *hours* of video that they have created, plus blog posts, instagram images, and more...

LINK: https://brickarchitect.com/2020/meet-the-lego-masters-youtube-instagram-twitter/ 

Sincerely,
—Tom Alphin

Awesome Tom, thanks for putting that together.

The finale went pretty much as expected. I was disappointed in Mark and Boone choosing a rectangular tower as their build. I didn't really like the snake/serpent thing in the winning design but the eagle was cool. 

I wonder when they'll be able to tape again. I guess you could do a show like this remotely if you shipped everyone a giant collection of legos and then assigned challenges. 

I found the finale to be a bit disappointing, and I guess I agree that I was most disappointed in Mark and Boone.  I felt that they were easily the best team of the three, but their idea really failed them.  It was not nearly creative enough for the finale of this show, no matte how epic in scale, or well-executed it was.  Really unfortunate because, over the course of this season, they've built some great stuff that was a helluva lot more creative and fun than what they did for the finale.  

The peacock was by far the most eye-catching thing built in the finale, and the peacock/monkey thing, IMO, was the most creative of the three builds.  For that to come in 3rd place, I'm guessing it somehow lacked in size or execution compared to the other two?  Or maybe the ranking was just a reflection of a cumulative ranking, as Sam and Jessica were easily the least of those three teams over the course of the season.  

I will admit that I am a bit biased against Amy and Tyler, and really disappointed that they won.  They are just so f'ing boring (anyone who builds Lego in a coat and tie really needs a drink - at least!), and I think that comes through in a lot of their builds.  I don't find anything particularly inspired about their Eagle/Griffin and serpent thing, and outside of that, they just build 1 1/2 towers and some landscape.  I'm sure it was technically well done, and the judges always mention how impressive their character creation is, but that piece was just lost on me.  Maybe, with TLG being such a family-based business, the judges bought into the "parental protection" message that Amy and Tyler were peddling?  I don't know...not my thing.  

Still, I enjoyed the season overall.  I wish I had the talent to be on a show like this, and I'll watch again next year.  

• Like 2

There were two or three other times during the season when the beards should have beat the couple. But every time it was close, the judges chose the white-bread, picket-fence, snore-fest couple. I feel like he is an honest, goofy, likeable-ish guy and she is an alien shape shifter attempting to pull off an impression of a perfect American suburban wife from an 80s sitcom. I had a feeling when the beards’ underground layer build got second that it was going to take an utter meltdown by the couple to make the judges go any other way. While I like both judges, neither has anything resembling an edge to them, so it was pretty much them picking the thing that reminded them of themselves.  This isn’t a knock on the couple’s skill, they were like a 99 out of 100, but I feel the beards were a 100.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’m surprised with how annoyed I am with how that wrapped up.  I thought Tyler and Amy should have gone home way back at their geodesic tower or whatever the hell that atrocity was... The integrity (FWIW) is really in doubt, too, given the twist in the SW episode to save Tyler and Amy.  Interesting that the preview for this finale even referred to “the final two” teams, so that was definitely an audible. And I don’t see that Peacock & Monkey being third place, either.

Enjoyed the season overall, but it feels too pre-determined that Tyler and Amy would win.  Yawn.

Edited by thedingman5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TigerEyez said:

There were two or three other times during the season when the beards should have beat the couple. But every time it was close, the judges chose the white-bread, picket-fence, snore-fest couple. I feel like he is an honest, goofy, likeable-ish guy and she is an alien shape shifter attempting to pull off an impression of a perfect American suburban wife from an 80s sitcom. I had a feeling when the beards’ underground layer build got second that it was going to take an utter meltdown by the couple to make the judges go any other way. While I like both judges, neither has anything resembling an edge to them, so it was pretty much them picking the thing that reminded them of themselves.  This isn’t a knock on the couple’s skill, they were like a 99 out of 100, but I feel the beards were a 100.

The one thing the judges said to the bearded guys they didn't say to the couple; "Give us something new," and I believe they did that.  The couple, however, I don't believe did anything new.  They did the fantasy thing several times.  Even their "battle scene" was the same kind of build - large towering object with a largish brick-built animal climbing up.  Granted, the bearded guys did a large building but the judges even commented about the integral minifigures all having a direct connection to the model.  I didn't see any of that in either of the other two models.  So what was it that "won the judges over"?  I really don't know.  I have marketing ploy in my mind - LEGO is for couples and families...  

I will admit, the three final products were good in their own right.  The third place team definitely made the most improvement and I guess that's why they got to be 3rd.  Praise God someone must have talked to them about the drama.  I was so over that by episode 2.  She definitely carried their team.

3 hours ago, thedingman5 said:

I’m surprised with how annoyed I am with how that wrapped up.  I thought Tyler and Amy should have gone home way back at their geodesic tower or whatever the hell that atrocity was... The integrity (FWIW) is really in doubt, too, given the twist in the SW episode to save Tyler and Amy.  Interesting that the preview for this finale even referred to “the final two” teams, so that was definitely an audible. And I don’t see that Peacock & Monkey being third place, either.

Enjoyed the season overall, but it feels too pre-determined that Tyler and Amy would win.  Yawn.

This is exactly how I felt. I too enjoyed the season, but dam, that ending was garbo. We referred to them as "the squares" they were just so boring. Did anyone else hear she was pregnant? Oh, you heard that every 5 seconds? I agree that none of the builds during the last episode were the best possible, but imo it should have been 1- tower 2-peacock 3- griffin. I think it ended differently to give a tv ending (pregnancy, if you haven't heard). Peacock was third because they were the weakest over the course of the season, I think even the judges were thinking cumulatively. Mark and Boone were the best builders, with Aaron and Christian second. M/B could have won almost every episode, but they weren't going to give the same team the win every time, regardless of if it is deserving. The squares should have been eliminated several times, first during the battle episode and last week definitely. It was very very convenient for them to get saved, especially hearing that it was at one point supposed to be 1v1. I also hate that Aaron and Christian got eliminated that episode, they would have come up with something fantastic, and certainly new/original, in the finale. Did anyone else see them in the background? They looked sour and I understand why.

All of that being said, they were all fantastic builders and it was great to see what they came up with. I do think M/B didn't have the best idea, they were too predictable, with another square tower (even though it did look excellent in the end, it wasn't new enough). I also agree with the idea A/T were "destined" to win. Think anything close would have gone to them. Tie goes to the newlyweds kind of thing. Out of the 3 teams, peacock was really the only thing completely new.

My idea was to have a collage of OG themes: pirates, space, castle, and city, each with a quarter of space of a circle and a rotating element to make them spin like a horizontal globe.

On 4/16/2020 at 5:50 PM, TigerEyez said:

The first winners of ANY game show will always be the ambassadors and this couple checked a lot of boxes.

Also for folks watching the wholes series it was Characters + Technique > creativity and scale...that was a constant; that said having two judges judge without any standard is lame...at least allow a point system so the judges themselves can't out-right decide....and leave a 3rd of the points to TV audience...the judging was way too black in IMO. 

• Like 1