Chinese New Year 2020

OrangeChiliPeP

Initial thought is Nice!

But as I think about it, it seems like LEGO is really pushing the heritage/cultural angle a bit much...almost to the point of being "racist" (for lack of a better word) about it.  Let's say you lived in China today...the first wave is understandly Asian Heritage driven...reasonable...but C'mon, China is much more than the stereo typical images from the 80s.

It's like living in the US and getting Founding Fathers sets every year (Washing ton corssing the Delaware, the Santa Maria, Gold Rush!, Original 13 Colonies, Yeah another Signing of the Declaration of Independance!...I mean how many modern day Chinese kids and teens participate in Dragon Boat racing??? 

16 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

But as I think about it, it seems like LEGO is really pushing the heritage/cultural angle a bit much.

Sounds to me that it's more of a play to cater to an immensely large customer base with product that exhibits them in as positive way as possible. Not so much for appealing to the customers but to their government. Play nice or be struck by the banhammer.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

It's like living in the US and getting Founding Fathers sets every year (Washing ton corssing the Delaware, the Santa Maria, Gold Rush!, Original 13 Colonies, Yeah another Signing of the Declaration of Independance!...

Injecting history into playtime? That's parenting Gold, Jerry.

20 minutes ago, dx0520 said:

I’m half Chinese. My wife is Chinese. No Chinese or Asian that I know are offended. In fact, it looks great.

Kids love it because it’s colorful and cool. Also, it’s in line with the ninjago series, so why is this different?

Western people need to stop being offended on behalf of other cultures. You being offended on our behalf is true racism...racism of low expectations.

I often feel complimented when other cultures try out our cultural foods, clothing, and other festivities. 

If you don’t like it, then that’s your choice. But don’t dislike it on behalf of other people.

I'm Asian American as well but my perspective may be different.  I was just wondering if folks in China would actually want a set inspired by something more current.  China is so much more than just the relics built over 1000 years ago, but it's like 99% of all that's shown in mainstream media (well that and the protests).

43 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

I'm Asian American as well but my perspective may be different.  I was just wondering if folks in China would actually want a set inspired by something more current.  China is so much more than just the relics built over 1000 years ago, but it's like 99% of all that's shown in mainstream media (well that and the protests).

So far the sets are related to Chinese New Year though and as far as I can tell, at least some population in China still celebrate New Year with Lion Dance :D 

Also to be fair, the New Year Eve dinner together is how most Asians (not just Chinese) celebrate new year.  So technically, that set (80101) is current :P

1 hour ago, dx0520 said:

Western people need to stop being offended on behalf of other cultures. You being offended on our behalf is true racism...racism of low expectations.

Plus, the NBA incident shows that if China didn't approve, TLG would be grabbing their own ankles asking for forgiveness and bogus bricks would be announcing their new sets.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

I mean how many modern day Chinese kids and teens participate in Dragon Boat racing??? 

My guess is, you have no idea of the answer to this question. You’re assumption just points that you think everyone is like you and would have nothing to do with cultural heritage. 

There are a lot of Americans that would love annual Americana sets. Paul Revere, the crossing of the Delaware, The Santa Maria. Boston Tea Party would be a best seller.

I’m not one of them, but I know they’re out there. There are Parents that love this stuff. And kids love Lego. They’ll build it with their parents, then when they’re not looking, tear it apart and build the helicopter that they truly wanted. 

17 hours ago, OrangeChiliPeP said:

to be continued...

LEGO Lion Dance (80104) – 69,99 Euro

lego-80104-liondance_1.jpg

Chinese New Year Temple Fair (80105) – 119,99 Euro

lego-80105-templefair_1.jpg

Reminds of Epcot. Disney is the puppet master. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, donbee said:

My guess is, you have no idea of the answer to this question. You’re assumption just points that you think everyone is like you and would have nothing to do with cultural heritage. 

There are a lot of Americans that would love annual Americana sets. Paul Revere, the crossing of the Delaware, The Santa Maria. Boston Tea Party would be a best seller.

I’m not one of them, but I know they’re out there. There are Parents that love this stuff. And kids love Lego. They’ll build it with their parents, then when they’re not looking, tear it apart and build the helicopter that they truly wanted. 

my post was in the context of "regional sets"; these sets are great and I, too would love a boston tea party set; but if LEGO ONLY made heritage sets for my region and ignored all the current iconic source material...I would be disappointed.

IN the US we are spoiled because pretty much 90% of the LEGO line up is inspired by western source materials and US media markets. Flip it around and LEGO was an Asian product...and US finally get a regionally specific series....and the first 2 lines were all source material from the 1700s. Yes we celebrate the 4th of July...but do I want ALL my regional sets to be inspired by the Founding Fathers?

9 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

my post was in the context of "regional sets"; these sets are great and I, too would love a boston tea party set; but if LEGO ONLY made heritage sets for my region and ignored all the current iconic source material...I would be disappointed.

IN the US we are spoiled because pretty much 90% of the LEGO line up is inspired by western source materials and US media markets. Flip it around and LEGO was an Asian product...and US finally get a regionally specific series....and the first 2 lines were all source material from the 1700s. Yes we celebrate the 4th of July...but do I want ALL my regional sets to be inspired by the Founding Fathers?

Again, so far the sets released have been associated with Chinese New Year theme.  LEGO have been consistent with the sets within this theme.  Think of it like Winter Village series.  It would be jarring if all the sudden they introduce a beach vacation set for Christmas 2020 (as much as fans in Australia might want 1 :P )

For all we know this Chinese New Year theme is a test run for LEGO and they may have other Asian inspired themes in the pipeline.

Also, what do you want to see on distinctively Chinese/Asian modern theme? I would argue there are fewer distinctions between "west" vs "east" in the current time.  A lot of the existing LEGO themes are not regional specific, meaning they can be played by kids all around the world (with a little bit of imagination).  For example, the LEGO sets from police and fire fighter lines pretty much look like the police and fire fighters in other places in the world.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...