How invest in technics?

Inund8

What are your tips for lego technic investments? Is it unique pieces? Or do the cars outperform everything else? My understanding from poking around a bit is that technic underperforms compared to the median CAGR for lego as a whole, but I love technic, so I want to make the most of it :)

The Technics theme doesn't perform very well, but if you're a fan then you can probably make enough to take the edge off of an expensive hobby.

Sets are hit or miss.  For example, check out the performance of 41999 vs 9398.  The first was a limited edition version of the 2nd, but you wouldn't necessarily know it by the current prices.  The old Ferrari sets did well, but the collecting game has changed a lot since then and I don't expect the Porsche or Bugatti sets to perform similarly (longer production time + more hoarding = lower prices down the road).  Construction vehicles have been steady sellers, but buy-in is a key point to winning---so be cautious of any hype.  The Bucket Excavator 42055 was/is amazing, and well received when it came out.  But discounts were rare and now, 6 mos after retirement, it can still be found close to MSRP.  By contrast, the 42053 Excavator was commonly available at 20-30% off (and very briefly at 50% off) here in the US and is now selling for ~2x MSRP.

Parts do a bit better, but it takes more work. Motors and power functions parts are steady sellers, and the common black friction pins are a top selling part on bricklink. Technic parts aren't in high demand in general, though, which makes them easier to pick up at a discount.   One strategy for sourcing parts is to keep your eye open for sets from other themes that are on clearance.  Chima and Ultra Agents were both great for this---buy at clearance, sell off the minifigs and system bricks, and keep the technic beams+gears+etc for building.  A few Lego Movie 2 sets like MetalBeard's Trike 70834 is a current example---or will be in 9-12 months when it goes on clearance.  Another place to watch is 2nd-hand stores, like goodwill or savers here in the US.  I picked up a technic car last week at 1/2 off the price of new.  A decent deal by itself, but it also held a power functions motor and battery pack, which will bump up the resale value considerably when I go to resell it.

Good luck, and happy building!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guest TabbyBoy

In two words... Don't bother.

Just look at the 8110 Unimog that retired years ago. It was the largest Technic set to date at the time and is now still available on eBay (UK at least) for way under RRP. A shame as it's a superb set, but the aftermarket demand isn't there. I can only guess that you're looking at the Porsche and Bugatti... the problem here is that so are thousands of others, not to mention the regular huge discounts meaning that somebody will alway have a lower buy-in than you. Again, great sets, but just too many. If you still want to try your luck with Technic, look for sets that aren't often listed on eBay and not discussed on here. Some things are best not talked about ;-)

Another thing to consider is that most of these sets are huge and tie up funds and space for a long, long time.... until it's time to sell.... at a loss. A >50% discount is a must.

There are some exceptions like the 42042 crane, but as a whole, it's not a theme to invest heavily in, if at all.

Good luck if you do go ahead!

In two words... Don't bother.
Just look at the 8110 Unimog that retired years ago. It was the largest Technic set to date at the time and is now still available on eBay (UK at least) for way under RRP. A shame as it's a superb set, but the aftermarket demand isn't there. I can only guess that you're looking at the Porsche and Bugatti... the problem here is that so are thousands of others, not to mention the regular huge discounts meaning that somebody will alway have a lower buy-in than you. Again, great sets, but just too many. If you still want to try your luck with Technic, look for sets that aren't often listed on eBay and not discussed on here. Some things are best not talked about ;-)
Another thing to consider is that most of these sets are huge and tie up funds and space for a long, long time.... until it's time to sell.... at a loss. A >50% discount is a must.
There are some exceptions like the 42042 crane, but as a whole, it's not a theme to invest heavily in, if at all.
Good luck if you do go ahead!

Still doing it wrong.
  • Like 2

Great sets, but not everyone buys them and that is the issue.  A set has to be quite unique to have a nice return.  Many are just revamped versions of earlier sets.  I really like them, but I have only one or two Technic sets on display in my office.

On 5/6/2019 at 7:44 PM, SpaceFan9 said:

The Technics theme doesn't perform very well, but if you're a fan then you can probably make enough to take the edge off of an expensive hobby.

Sets are hit or miss.  For example, check out the performance of 41999 vs 9398.  The first was a limited edition version of the 2nd, but you wouldn't necessarily know it by the current prices.  The old Ferrari sets did well, but the collecting game has changed a lot since then and I don't expect the Porsche or Bugatti sets to perform similarly (longer production time + more hoarding = lower prices down the road).  Construction vehicles have been steady sellers, but buy-in is a key point to winning---so be cautious of any hype.  The Bucket Excavator 42055 was/is amazing, and well received when it came out.  But discounts were rare and now, 6 mos after retirement, it can still be found close to MSRP.  By contrast, the 42053 Excavator was commonly available at 20-30% off (and very briefly at 50% off) here in the US and is now selling for ~2x MSRP.

Parts do a bit better, but it takes more work. Motors and power functions parts are steady sellers, and the common black friction pins are a top selling part on bricklink. Technic parts aren't in high demand in general, though, which makes them easier to pick up at a discount.   One strategy for sourcing parts is to keep your eye open for sets from other themes that are on clearance.  Chima and Ultra Agents were both great for this---buy at clearance, sell off the minifigs and system bricks, and keep the technic beams+gears+etc for building.  A few Lego Movie 2 sets like MetalBeard's Trike 70834 is a current example---or will be in 9-12 months when it goes on clearance.  Another place to watch is 2nd-hand stores, like goodwill or savers here in the US.  I picked up a technic car last week at 1/2 off the price of new.  A decent deal by itself, but it also held a power functions motor and battery pack, which will bump up the resale value considerably when I go to resell it.

Good luck, and happy building!

Seems like solid advice. Thanks.

To all the naysayers, I'll be thinking of you while I assemble my NIB Ferrari Enzo 8653 after I make it big ???

• 8 months later...

Technic big sets are best for quick flipping. Buy at 45-50% off, and sell approx 30% under RRP.

Example 42082. RRP is 250, buy at 125, sell at 165. Gain 30% in a few weeks. Same with 42110. RRP is 180, buy at 100, sell at 130. Gain 30% in a few weeks.

3 hours ago, dmind said:

Technic big sets are best for quick flipping. Buy at 45-50% off, and sell approx 30% under RRP.

Example 42082. RRP is 250, buy at 125, sell at 165. Gain 30% in a few weeks. Same with 42110. RRP is 180, buy at 100, sell at 130. Gain 30% in a few weeks.

Unfortunately we don't usually see 50% off Technic (or at least I have not) in Canada.    Only time I saw that was with 42055 once at Toysrus.   Normally it's around 30% up to 40% that I can find.  I haven't bought much Technic for investing, but I got 42099 and 42100 at about 34% off.   So hoping to quick flip for just under MSRP.

That being said it seems that 42043 (ARocs) is  up about 1.5x post-retirement.