Ideas #025: 21317 - Steamboat Willie

LEGO-Ideas-21317-Steamboat-Willie-1-1.thumb.jpg.5ce17118dd3fd76d77138a0e26808e0f.jpg

LEGO-Ideas-21317-Steamboat-Willie-5-1.thumb.jpg.82d4c7d830b6630af1d284a60d3129a6.jpgLEGO-Ideas-21317-Steamboat-Willie-10.thumb.jpg.1dbcdf6c899e9a8e5c43ffbc82ef2418.jpgLEGO-Ideas-21317-Steamboat-Willie-7.thumb.jpg.f9b01d0d0315ab8ac3bbd71df7150139.jpg

Disney Mickey Mouse fans will love this LEGO® Ideas 21317 Steamboat Willie building toy marking the 90th anniversary of the most famous cartoon character ever. Mickey Mouse made his screen debut in a 1928 black-and-white animated short film called ‘Steamboat Willie’, which was also the first Disney film to have synchronized sound. This LEGO brick version of the S.S. Willie features steam pipes that move up and down and paddle wheels that rotate when the boat is pushed along. The boat’s bridge has room for a minifigure and play-inspiring nautical details such as the ship’s wheel, life buoy and buildable bell. On deck there is a working crane to lift the ‘potato bin’ cargo aboard and this unique toy building set comes with new-for-April-2019 Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse minifigures, each with special silver-colored decoration, plus a parrot figure. An ideal LEGO set for kids and adults to recreate scenes from the original Mickey Mouse cartoon or simply build and display this striking monochrome model.

• Build and display this collectible LEGO® set or recreate your favorite scenes from the classic Disney Mickey Mouse cartoon, ‘Steamboat Willie’.
  • This unique toy building set includes 2 new-for-April-2019 minifigures: Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse, each with silver-colored decoration, plus Mickey Mouse’s parrot figure.
  • The iconic Steamboat Willie boat features a black-and-white color scheme, hidden wheels, moving steam pipes, rotating paddle wheels, adjustable crane and assorted elements including the ‘S.S. Willie’ boat name sign, ‘1928’ year sign and a ‘potato bin’.
  • The boat’s bridge has space for a minifigure, a brick-built bell and assorted elements including the ship’s wheel and life buoy.
  • The 2 steam pipes move up and down and the 2 paddle wheels rotate when the boat is pushed along.
  • Accessory elements include Minnie Mouse’s guitar and music sheet.
  • This LEGO® Ideas creative toy building set comes with a booklet with building instructions, fun facts about the historic 1928 animated Disney short film ‘Steamboat Willie’, and information about this awesome retro set’s fan creator and LEGO designers.
  • Steamboat Willie toy boat measures over 5” (15cm) high, 10” (26cm) long and 5” (14cm) wide.

Price is going to be €89,99 (Germany, Netherlands, Ireland, Spain...)

Edited by HandyHand
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, wegj15 said:

so hows everything feeling about this on a day one purchase. winds kind of out of my sails with the collectible figures announcement and lack of a promo. was hoping for the stark tower to combine.

I bought one for the Heck of it.  You never know...Maybe Walt Disney signed a few.

• Thanks 1

Guest TabbyBoy
8 minutes ago, ravenb99 said:

some reported issues with the set,  first smoke stack doesn't go up and down when moved.  It will go up one cycle then not do anymore.   Guess I'll build one this weekend and see what it does.  

This is why I often avoid the first batch, like when WALL·E had the dodgy neck. LEGO designers aren't as adept as they once were. These days, it's always a rush to market instead of proper QA. I await the report of your smoke stack test ?

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, isawred said:

has anyone found/seen a proper #25? I heard they should be in stores soon. i'll be headed in tomorrow for the tower. very curious to see!!

Still all 24.  Was approx 11k 24 and 16k 25 in first batches.  Which explains why they never stocked out.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ravenb99 said:

Still all 24.  Was approx 11k 24 and 16k 25 in first batches.  Which explains why they never stocked out.  

thank you for the response and detailed information! 11k doesn't seem like much but the demand is not very high at this point 

16 minutes ago, isawred said:

thank you for the response and detailed information! 11k doesn't seem like much but the demand is not very high at this point 

Personally think it is more than that.  Just off the first 2 weeks shipments if you times it by 100 stores it comes out to about 15k and both those shipments were 24s.  All the early shop at homes have been 24 too.  Then Legoland were all 24 even though their initial numbers aren't very high.  

Next shipment should give a better idea.  

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, ravenb99 said:

Personally think it is more than that.  Just off the first 2 weeks shipments if you times it by 100 stores it comes out to about 15k and both those shipments were 24s.  All the early shop at homes have been 24 too.  Then Legoland were all 24 even though their initial numbers aren't very high.  

from the sounds of that it will be well in to summer before another shipment? or once a store gets down to a case, they reorder? perhaps I should be looking at the store near disney as they would be the most likely to turn over higher a quantity!

2 hours ago, isawred said:

from the sounds of that it will be well in to summer before another shipment? or once a store gets down to a case, they reorder? perhaps I should be looking at the store near disney as they would be the most likely to turn over higher a quantity!

Nah they move 15-20 per day first week.  Probably 10 or so per day now.  It does move they just made quite a few to meet demand which keeps secondary market declining.  

They are just very good at stock levels now.   

Edited by ravenb99
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
2 hours ago, baronotard said:

This set is currently at 'Hard to find'. 

Do you guys think it's my last chance to get it? Or it's only temporary and I'm better waiting Christmas for a restock and a sale ?? 

Hard to Find means it isn't available in traditional in-store retailers (Target, Walmart), not an indication that it will be retiring. I imagine it will restock sometime this holiday, if not sooner.

• 1 month later...

Not sure what this means, but I just received my 21317 from LEGO SaH today and the set has the printing error of saying #024 instead of CORRECTLY showing #025. I am guessing that LEGO must have made a TON of these sets when it got released and only noticed the error after they had made thousands of the wrong one. I was looking at all the eBay listings and all of them show the error. I don't even know if a box WITHOUT the error even exists. Instead of the error box, being worth a lot of money it could just be that the box that accurately displays the #025 could be worth some serious cash, just speculating.

• Haha 2

• 1 year later...

So is just 24 the rare, or 25?

Do you know if they have plans for another run this last quarter?