Variation in weight of sealed sets

knr

Testing out a new scale we received as a gift.  It accurately weighs a test weight, however, while weighing a number of sealed sets (all of which were purchased from Lego shop at home or in store) we are getting different weights.  For example, all of 6 Old Fishing Stores are showing different weights.  The differences range from 2 to 8 grams.  One box seems weigh out of the range at 30 grams heavier.  We are finding a 2 to 10 gram variation in a number of sealed sets.  We were hoping to use weight when checking other set purchases from retailers such as Walmart.  Is this variance in weight of sealed sets normal?  Is there a variance range that would be considered "safe" to confirm box contents?  Any assistance would be appreciated.  Thanks.   

Guest TabbyBoy
2 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Can anyone recommend a decent scale?

My mind gets all twisted when reading amazon reviews...like reading Yelp restaurant reviews...poison to manna

I just need to be able to weigh the occasional Lego package I may sell on ebay.  PLus for a scale that's also handy for household misc uses.

thanks 

I use a Dymo M10 scale <10KG (22lb) that I bought for £25. I took it to my local Post Office to compare a package with their scale and is was spot on. I also use it at home for making cakes and it's been fine, even though I've only had it for a year.

I went to our local post office (have not purchased a scale yet) and noted something interesting:

Previously I went to the counter and they weighed a boxed set at 3lb 7.4 oz

I tried it again using the scale they have attached to the automatic self serve kiosk which weighed it at 4 lbs 2.0 oz.

I guess it's obvious that the Kiosk would round up a bit but I would think that spread represents at least the range acceptable by USPS.

Edited by $20 on joe vs dan

8 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

I went to our local post office (have not purchased a scale yet) and noted something interesting:

Previously I went to the counter and they weighed a boxed set at 3lb 7.4 oz

I tried it again using the scale they have attached to the automatic self serve kiosk which weighed it at 4 lbs 2.0 oz.

I guess it's obvious that the Kiosk would round up a bit but I would think that spread represents at least the range acceptable by USPS.

So much for being a "consumer" .... :)  or were you testing out a delivery for kicks and giggles? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LegoMan1212 said:

So much for being a "consumer" .... :)  or were you testing out a delivery for kicks and giggles? 

Ha!  thats what 3 months of BP does to you....I've "morphed" into an "opportunistic collector"...mainly selling the sets I bought during my initial wave of purchases...after enjoying them w/ my son.

22 hours ago, Lordoflego said:

This would be a great “case study” ;) 

you'all totally get me...

after being on BP like 1-2 hrs a day for months now; I read a lot of heresay on how this or that set went down...but I feel I gleem the most usable knowledge when a story of a specific set or series is detailed from begining to end and in hindsight...that's why I'm stoked to be experiencing the Exclusive BHz thing going on currently...helps me understand market dynamics which is what I find most interesting here. Case studies are factual albeit limited to specific circumstances...the fun is speculating which circumstances were the levers and how it could be applied for future events.