Harry Potter 2019

exciter1

12 minutes ago, Mos_Eisley said:

Privet Lane would be a remake. 

I stand corrected.

Just went thru the entire HP line...some pretty pitiful sets but I understand it was over a decade ago for most.

Diagon Alley is by far the most impressive...best longterm investment (although currently going for over $400), but high risk of remake.

48 minutes ago, nolanfan34 said:

A doe Patronus figure would be sweet.

I would not mind seeing buildable animal Patronus series. They would need to be transparent white or light blue to be accurate to the source materials.  

2 hours ago, exciter1 said:

The Tri-Wizard Challenge

Which challenge? If it is the 1 with the dragon, it would be insta- :money:

I have heard Diagon Alley will be re-released this year. If this is the line, it would be a shame. Could be saved if the Tri-Wizard task is the Maze (only one they haven't made) and the Tower was good. These seem to be focused on the third and fourth books after the first wave was first and second, so they seem to be making their way through the books. 

Although it's unlikely, I would love a Hogsmeade set. Similar to 10217 with 2-3 medium sized buildings. And (this is even more of a stretch) if this wave does well, perhaps a Ministry of Magic from the fifth book in the next wave. There is so much good source material in HP, and, although sets like the Hut, Knight Bus, and Express are slam dunks in terms of sales, it would be great to see some new stuff.

3 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

and lets face it...a lot of the older sets are pretty lame compared to current Lego standards..remakes are going to be clearly superior 

I would disagree with you on that one. The new stuff is fine, but the older stuff is better. Sets were bigger with more features and less small pieces. Newest castle, train, and forest set are all smaller than previous releases. For example 2011 castle had great hall + 3 towers. 2018 castle has great hall (which is grossly fat/disproportional) + 1 tower. IMHO the minifigures were also better, looked more mature. Newer figures look childish/animated imo. You guys will have to forgive me, I don't usually post much, but I am a huge potter fan so I feel compelled to post more than usual ?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, t_mafia said:

I would disagree with you on that one. The new stuff is fine, but the older stuff is better. Sets were bigger with more features and less small pieces. Newest castle, train, and forest set are all smaller than previous releases. For example 2011 castle had great hall + 3 towers. 2018 castle has great hall (which is grossly fat/disproportional) + 1 tower. IMHO the minifigures were also better, looked more mature. Newer figures look childish/animated imo. You guys will have to forgive me, I don't usually post much, but I am a huge potter fan so I feel compelled to post more than usual ?

welp, unless you are talking about the $399 castle, there is no other 2018 castle :P

• Like 1

Idk going back and building the majority of older sets I might not of built back then and I usually feel underwhelmed.   Def have gotten spoiled by numbered bags as well over the years.   

Imperial Shuttle though still holds strong.   Other than the gear I f'd up somehow in the wings that I had to do reconstructive surgery on that is still my favorite build.   Out of the full truckload of first gen potter I had I never once built one though.  Back then it was just about money.  I know bad Raven.  Had I known a dozen years later I could of taken BA for a few dollars I might of had different outlooks.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, justapilgrim said:

I’m sure referring to the other Hogwarts that links to the willow. I hope the hogwarts tower will aslo link to these

Well that’s the great hall , it is supposed to be out of proportion and with less other “ castle” elements to it since that’s the main focus of the set 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, glucapg said:

do you think will they added to the sets that are now on the market or the 2018 sets will they go EOL?

first, that's on everyone's mind.  second, you forgot the magic word.  @ravenb99 ? #nomobubbleboy.  #nevergetthosebraincellsback.

Edited by cladner

Well that’s the great hall , it is supposed to be out of proportion and with less other “ castle” elements to it since that’s the main focus of the set 

It looks like I caused quite the ruckus, so I will clarify. I was talking about the 2018 great hall which I referred to as the castle. When I said it was not proportional, I meant that the building is not scaled correctly, the ceiling is too low and the angle is wrong. It is too short and squat. I was not questioning the proportions between buildings, it is called the great hall so the focus should be the great hall! Just my opinions anyway...

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

16 hours ago, t_mafia said:

It looks like I caused quite the ruckus, so I will clarify. I was talking about the 2018 great hall which I referred to as the castle. When I said it was not proportional, I meant that the building is not scaled correctly, the ceiling is too low and the angle is wrong. It is too short and squat. I was not questioning the proportions between buildings, it is called the great hall so the focus should be the great hall! Just my opinions anyway...

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

I totally agree that the Great hall is way out of proportion and looks squat especially compared to sets of old..........

On 1/24/2019 at 6:47 PM, t_mafia said:

after your post I tried to have a more open mind about the older sets...I do agree with you that the minifigures are better in the older sets; more expressive and unique. I disagree about sets being bigger >smaller as a general rule, since I value better detail over what feels like a Duplo build (exxageration).  Yes, the current Great Hall proportions are too short. But just looking at the trains...the current one using moving axels vs free spinning wheels...that's a no brainer imo.  And when you compare a lot of the older mini scenes...those look embarrassing compared to current standards.

Once again..my opinion...those older sets came out during my dark ages (ie no nostagia and possible jealousy/scorn) so I may be unfairly harsh on them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

after your post I tried to have a more open mind about the older sets...I do agree with you that the minifigures are better in the older sets; more expressive and unique. I disagree about sets being bigger >smaller as a general rule, since I value better detail over what feels like a Duplo build (exxageration).  Yes, the current Great Hall proportions are too short. But just looking at the trains...the current one using moving axels vs free spinning wheels...that's a no brainer imo.  And when you compare a lot of the older mini scenes...those look embarrassing compared to current standards.

Once again..my opinion...those older sets came out during my dark ages (ie no nostagia and possible jealousy/scorn) so I may be unfairly harsh on them.

Yes, you do raise some good points. The first release of sets, such as 4709 castle, 4708 train, etc., are definitely basic/blocky. But I think the newest sets are overdetailed w/too many small parts. I think the sweet spot was the sets that had to do with 3rd/4th movies. Sets such as 4757 castle, dumstrang ship, shrieking shack, etc. were a great blend of size, detail, and great figures.

These sets were produced in the mid-late 2000s, (2004/5-2007/8), which (in my opinion) was when design had improved but the saturation of sets and overdetailing/cheese slope era that we see today had not occurred yet. There were lots of great sets: dreamliner, cafe corner, MTT, original holiday train, eiffel tower. These are all likely to be rehashed but the originals will remain the best imho. 

• Like 1