21044 - Paris (Skyline)

henrysunset

We may as well have a dedicated thread for the Paris skyline as well.  I'm curious to hear what others think, both about the set as a whole, and as an investment.  I tend to think that the Skylines will remain popular after retirement, but I also think that sets that sell well will remain in production for a long time (ex: New York skyline)

Here's a link to my review of the set: http://brickarchitect.com/2018/review-21044-lego-paris-skyline/

opengraph-21044_Paris-640x336.jpg

I will admit that I'm a bit hardcore when it comes to reviewing sets. It really is a "good" set, but so is almost every other official LEGO product.  That's why I called out gripes about the Arc de Triomphe and base of the Eiffel Tower, justifying the middling 3/5 star rating.  I do feel like the new 21043 San Francisco set (link to review) is a better set, which is why I gave it the higher 4/5 star rating.  (That said, in my personal stack-ranked list of all of the official LEGO Architecture sets, the new San Francisco Skyline is one of the worst earning 4/5 star, and Paris Skyline is one of the best to earn 3/5 star rating. They are both very comparable in quality.)

What do you think—am I being too harsh? Love to hear your thoughts too!

---tom

Edited by henrysunset

10 hours ago, henrysunset said:

Here's a link to my review of the set: http://brickarchitect.com/2018/review-21044-lego-paris-skyline/

I like your reviews, very well organized with great pictures.

10 hours ago, henrysunset said:

I will admit that I'm a bit hardcore when it comes to reviewing sets. It really is a "good" set, but so is almost every other official LEGO product.  That's why I called out gripes about the Arc de Triomphe and base of the Eiffel Tower, justifying the middling 3/5 star rating.  I do feel like the new 21043 San Francisco set (link to review) is a better set, which is why I gave it the higher 4/5 star rating.  (That said, in my personal stack-ranked list of all of the official LEGO Architecture sets, the new San Francisco Skyline is one of the worst earning 4/5 star, and Paris Skyline is one of the best to earn 3/5 star rating. They are both very comparable in quality.)

Have you built all the skyline sets?  Just curious what your total ranking would be.

Guest TabbyBoy
3 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Curious: how different or similar are the Eiffel Towers in this skyline vs the stand alone set...they look similar?

I don’t think they do. 21019 is much larger and a lot would like the larger version. I’m personally not a fan of the skylines unless there’s profit in them.