Dots 2020

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My daughter (7 this week) loves art and is very artistic, which shows up in her Lego builds.  She tends to make symmetrical mosaics on baseplates with 1x1s and 1x2s and is much less interested in the structural/engineering aspects like I am.  At first I thought this line is perfect for her but I feel like she can already do a lot of what this "Dots" series would offer.  The only exclusive aspect to it seems to be the watch band and some new printed 1x1s.  Is that really what this is all about?  Hmm... also reminds me of the "Go Brick Me" BrickHeadz set, just with a bunch of 1x1s.

Edited by MusiKyle

I actually like the system for what it is. The packaging on the larger sets comes with a included clear top sorting tray, which is a great idea and I'm sure LEGO tested this with the 6+ crowd extensively. The fact that they are offering storage and display options for girls as they begin to wear jewelry and take instant photos like Fujio Mini Max shows that LEGO continues to meet kids where they are developmentally. 

http://bricksfanz.com/introducing-lego-dots/ 

12 minutes ago, Mark Twain said:

I actually like the system for what it is. The packaging on the larger sets comes with a included clear top sorting tray, which is a great idea and I'm sure LEGO tested this with the 6+ crowd extensively. The fact that they are offering storage and display options for girls as they begin to wear jewelry and take instant photos like Fujio Mini Max shows that LEGO continues to meet kids where they are developmentally. 

http://bricksfanz.com/introducing-lego-dots/ 

You make some good points.  I am looking forward to loading up on 41168 Elsa's Jewelry Box.  It definitely stood out to me as unique.  It is not only a traditional Lego build but you end up with some functionality in the end as well.  There's also the trans-light blue horse that is, so far, exclusive to this set.  Maybe my daughter can use this jewelry box to hold all the upcoming Dots.  I'll remain open minded to this new line and see how it plays out, but unlikely to 'invest' in it.

I almost feel I can get close to a full set of Dots with the spare parts from most other sets. Or I can go to the pick a brick wall at a store and stock up on some plates and a bunch of 1x1 elements.

For the art, this is an interesting line and whimsical. But for watch bands or pencil holders, doesn't look like something that amazing.

Edited by MrToes16
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, CathyVT said:

Thanks! Last I looked, a few days ago, Michael's didn't list anything. I can actually walk to a Michael's from my office, and they have the dots pack in stock!

Yeah, They weren't  listed a few days ago. I just saw them this morning and soon after saw your post. Glad I could help.

1 hour ago, CathyVT said:

Thanks! Last I looked, a few days ago, Michael's didn't list anything. I can actually walk to a Michael's from my office, and they have the dots pack in stock!

For personal? I really want some for my girls just to have them build with. As I was organizing my bricks one day, my 4.5 yo built this very abstract build. (I think it looks like a factory) So I think she will like the tiles with prints on them.

0216201822_HDR.thumb.jpg.954ecf6d7d79465c82860b4d64bc7754.jpg