Star Wars - Boba Fett Spin-off Announced

exciter1

27 minutes ago, bigboy61 said:

Is it just me or does anyone else think that Disney is killing the franchise by releasing so many movies in a short ammount of time? I kind of think it's going to take the wind out of everyone's sails and no one will care after a while.

Yes, and I think they should stop going to the well.  I'm ready for new Star Wars movies, with characters that have nothing to do with the Skywalker timeline.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, bigboy61 said:

Is it just me or does anyone else think that Disney is killing the franchise by releasing so many movies in a short ammount of time? I kind of think it's going to take the wind out of everyone's sails and no one will care after a while.

Milk the cow dry, put it in a vault for 6 years, rinse repeat :D

Boba Fett is overrated anyway ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bigboy61 said:

I don’t think it’s the quantity of movies or shows out there. Look what they are doing with the Marvel Universe, and they are killing it. It’s more about the quality. Many people just aren’t loving them all, so it feels like too much. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MJO24 said:

I don’t think it’s the quantity of movies or shows out there. Look what they are doing with the Marvel Universe, and they are killing it. It’s more about the quality. Many people just aren’t loving them all, so it feels like too much. 

Marvel had a plan and they stick with it.

Conspiracy theory: What if Disney/LucasFilm deliberately made the last few SW films so bad the fans are going to be glad when they REMAKE the whole SW saga in 2027 ?  They already have new Solo, new Chewy, new Lando, and new Boba.  They just need to cast new Luke and Leia ?

1 hour ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Marvel had a plan and they stick with it.

Conspiracy theory: What if Disney/LucasFilm deliberately made the last few SW films so bad the fans are going to be glad when they REMAKE the whole SW saga in 2027 ?  They already have new Solo, new Chewy, new Lando, and new Boba.  They just need to cast new Luke and Leia ?

I would have been fine with Disney recasting Luke, Leia, Han and the whole group if they would have just made the Timothy Zahn trilogy into episodes 7, 8, and 9.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Darth_Raichu said:

My 12 year old son has watched all Episode (x) Star Wars movies, from Episode 1 to Episode 8, multiple times. He doesn't care much about the original trilogy and finds it looks outdated. He prefers the prequel trilogy much more over the OT because they're more spectacular, look more advanced and modern. He doesn't understand why I find Empire Strikes Back the best SW movie. 

Just to give an indication where the younger generation puts their preference... 

9 hours ago, MJO24 said:

This.  It's not the quantity, it's the quality of movie.  Marvel has done an amazing job at interweaving the different movies with different main characters and eventually (Avengers 4?)  will come to somewhat of a conclusion from the way it sounds.  Marvel has done this with releasing at least 1 movie per year since Avengers and nobody is complaining.  I'll admit I don't watch them all as I'm not as big into Marvel as I am Star Wars, but the poor storytelling has been SW's biggest issue.

10 hours ago, exciter1 said:

Yes, and I think they should stop going to the well.  I'm ready for new Star Wars movies, with characters that have nothing to do with the Skywalker timeline.

I had this exact same conversation with my son yesterday.  I told him I wish they wouldn't have continued the Skywalker saga with 7,8, and 9. Episodes 4,5, and 6 were all about Luke's journey and 7/8 didn't add much to that at all.  He didn't even speak in 7 and 8 didn't honor the character we came to love.

His response: "I THOUGHT LAST JEDI WAS GREAT!!!"

• Haha 2

Said this in the Solo thread but will repeat it here.

Please rest the Skywalker films after 9. Give me more SW Story films.

I want films in this universe. I want to see other corners of the universe. I’m fine if it’s with familiar characters. But give me something different, stand-alone, overarching thread - very Marvel films like.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

Said this in the Solo thread but will repeat it here.

Please rest the Skywalker films after 9. Give me more SW Story films.

I want films in this universe. I want to see other corners of the universe. I’m fine if it’s with familiar characters. But give me something different, stand-alone, overarching thread - very Marvel films like.

Tend to agree, these side and back stories are more interesting than the new triliogy.  though I would argue marvel is pushing in the opposite directly lately.

11 hours ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Boba Fett is overrated anyway ?

This. We already know his demise, so even if they build him up to be some total badass in his standalone film, we already know his origin and death. What else could they possibly reveal? This is one instance that the Prequels did just the right amount of explaining.

• Like 1

i thought they could’ve combined the solo movie and the boba fett movie into one. in the original trilogy han solo appeared to know who boba fett was, so maybe they had some history.

and as for knowing fetts death already, maybe we don’t. in the old extended universe he escaped the sarlacc. this new movie could take place after return of the jedi.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CosmicSpeed said:

This. We already know his demise, so even if they build him up to be some total badass in his standalone film, we already know his origin and death. What else could they possibly reveal? This is one instance that the Prequels did just the right amount of explaining.

It's possible he escaped the Sarlac Pit.

I think the problem that Lucasfilm have compared to Marvel (and even DC) is that they are jumping around all over the place in the timeline. TFA was set way after Jedi. They then followed that with RO which was set just before ANH. Then came TLJ (back to the TFA timeline), and now we have Solo (set after ROTS but before RO and ANH). That kind of stuff is hard to keep track of even for fans of the series, I can't imagine how confusing it is for the casual moviegoer.

The other issue with having standalone movies is that, by their very nature, they don't really build-up to anything plot-wise. Solo for example can't build upon RO because they feature different characters at different points in the timeline. Sure, the continuity with other movies lines-up (usually), but that's not the same thing as having something happen in one movie that has direct consequences in another movie due to be released several months later. This reduces audience anticipation for future instalments, in my opinion.

Now compare this with the Marvel Universe (the movies, at any rate). I'm not a massive Marvel fan and have only seen several of the movies, but my understanding is that most of them are contemporaneous or occur chronologically one after the other (although I'm aware that the first Captain America movie was largely set in WW2). This means that events in one of those movies can lead into the following movie, and so on. For the audience this makes things easier to follow, plus it also allows for the stakes to be raised gradually by each movie until you end-up with something like Infinity War.

Guest TabbyBoy
18 hours ago, bigboy61 said:

Disney have already killed the franchise as far as I'm concerned. TFA was a little disappointing, R1 was so-so and TLJ was utterly dreadful. I'm in no rush to see Solo unless it gets rave reviews. Disney are milking a cow that should've stayed dead in 1983. IMHO, they should've come up with something totally new and unrelated to Star Wars. It seems like most movie makers these days have run out of ideas. They can afford new creative talent so what's the problem?

As for Super Heroes, I switched off years ago.

6 hours ago, CosmicSpeed said:

There was a SW legends comic where he escaped the Saarlac pit and did other stuff

But with that reasoning, we shouldn’t have gotten most of the movies we’ve gotten since 1983.

Depends on whether you’re interested in the journey or the destination.

I know there’s hate for the PT, etc. why bother going into Anakin’s story if we knew where he’d end up? For me, I think it’s interesting to know what informs a character. How did they get to this point. What happened to them to make them who they are.

For a Fett movie, I’d be interested in learning how he became such a badass. How did Vader come to say “no disintegrations”? What parts of the underworld might we see.

And in light of Solo (no spoilers), how might those two films crossover/continue plot threads?
  • Like 1