Hello, and advice please

Hi

New here, found the site by chance. I have always been a massive Lego fan, and when an old girlfriend bought a set for fun as a present, it re-kindled my passion :-) Now many years on, and with my own kids, i have been helping my daughter collect the old Harry potter sets. As i live in Denmark now, and Lego is in everyone blood here, i have been toying with the idea of getting sets for investment purposes. I have the opportunity to buy a 10179 millenium flacon. It is BNIB, with what looks like slight crease on the box. The seller wants $1000 US for it (the danish equivalent anyway). Is this an ok deal? I have read that the value of this has been decreasing, i assume due to the newer version. Next question, should i open the seals and check the contents? Does this affect value? I also picked up a Harry Potter Hogwarts 4842 for a good price, and itching to know whether to check inside.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

1 hour ago, markvs said:

Hi

New here, found the site by chance. I have always been a massive Lego fan, and when an old girlfriend bought a set for fun as a present, it re-kindled my passion :-) Now many years on, and with my own kids, i have been helping my daughter collect the old Harry potter sets. As i live in Denmark now, and Lego is in everyone blood here, i have been toying with the idea of getting sets for investment purposes. I have the opportunity to buy a 10179 millenium flacon. It is BNIB, with what looks like slight crease on the box. The seller wants $1000 US for it (the danish equivalent anyway). Is this an ok deal? I have read that the value of this has been decreasing, i assume due to the newer version. Next question, should i open the seals and check the contents? Does this affect value? I also picked up a Harry Potter Hogwarts 4842 for a good price, and itching to know whether to check inside.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Welcome to the madness. As a newbie, I HIGHLY recommend you read the Introduction by @Phil B for useful advice and ideas. It is lengthy but gives you perspective on how this works.

Second, if you can afford to, I wouldn't buy the original UCS MF for $1000 from someone since the new one is an improvement at a cheaper price.  This set's value has been dropping steadily and here in the US, prices range from $500 to $100 for the 10179.  This is an opinion however.

2 hours ago, markvs said:

The seller wants $1000 US for it (the danish equivalent anyway). Is this an ok deal? I have read that the value of this has been decreasing, i assume due to the newer version. Next question, should i open the seals and check the contents? Does this affect value? I also picked up a Harry Potter Hogwarts 4842 for a good price, and itching to know whether to check inside.

Don't open a sealed box, it will reduce value. The 10179 would be a big risk. $1000 is probably a good deal, but selling it would be another matter entirely. A few have sold on eBay.de for varying prices between 1000 and 2000 Euros in the last month. Have a look yourself on various European websites to get an idea.

4 minutes ago, TANV said:

Second, if you can afford to, I wouldn't buy the original UCS MF for $1000 from someone since the new one is an improvement at a cheaper price.  This set's value has been dropping steadily and here in the US, prices range from $500 to $100 for the 10179.  This is an opinion however.

Not for new sets; all prices that I can see are in excess of $1300.

Hi all, 

Thanks for the comments. I was going by brick link guide prices, and the guide prices on this site. On this site, it lists the value at $2250. I can see a pre-assembled version on ebay.com for $610 the Uk site has them at £2000 minimum for BNIB. 

I can also see (from this site) that the new one isn't necessarily a complete improvement on the old one :-) something about an 'ugly rear-end' ;-)  and lacks the 'limited edition value'. The new one in Denmark is 6500 DKK, the old version I am looking at is 6000DKK (just for comparison)

I am not expecting to make a fortune here, just to be a able to sell it a short while down the line and clear a few hundred bucks to fund my lego habit :-) 

all the best and thanks for the input.

Mark