The Toys That Made Us (Netflix)

Jeff Mack

I watched this over the weekend on Netflix.  Four episodes so far.  Star Wars, Barbie, He-Man, GI Joe.  All were fascinating on how these things got made.  I think quite a large percentage of users on this site would get something out of it.  If anything a fond memory of being a kid.  I recommend it.

• Like 7

@Jeff Mack  I also enjoyed this show.  My least favorite was the Kenner Star Wars episode only because I watched Brian Stillman's Plastic Galaxy 2 years ago which covered 95% of what there is to know about the toy line. That movie is currently on Hulu and maybe even Netflix. Brian was also a consulting producer on two TTTMU episodes.

I believe the remaining four episodes to be released are about Transformers, Hello Kitty, LEGO and Star Trek. 

I really enjoyed all of the interviews with current and former Mattel, Hasbro, and Kenner employees which gave great insight into the design and manufacturing process for these toys.

I had no idea Barbies that grew breasts was a toy feature before watching this:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jaisonline said:

@Jeff Mack  I also enjoyed this show.  My least favorite was the Kenner Star Wars episode only because I watched Brian Stillman's Plastic Galaxy 2 years ago which covered 95% of what there is to know about the toy line. That movie is currently on Hulu and maybe even Netflix. Brian was also a consulting producer on two TTTMU episodes.

I believe the remaining four episodes to be released are about Transformers, Hello Kitty, LEGO and Star Trek. 

My 5 year old was watching this episode this morning.  I'm interested in watching - I didn't know it was a thing.  But I found it funny that he came across it.

44 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

My 5 year old was watching this episode this morning.  I'm interested in watching - I didn't know it was a thing.  But I found it funny that he came across it.

Great series. I subscribed to Netflix just so I could watch it. You might want to be careful with the kids though. I think I remember a couple  of F-bombs in there at one point or another. Lego is supposed to be featured in the next four episodes due out in the spring. Can't wait!

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It didn't present any information I didn't know already or really to anyone who had watched pretty much any documentary or short film about the LEGO Group in recent history. I still enjoyed the presentation. It was quite well done. Definitely a must watch if you HAVEN'T watched anything similar about LEGO in the past.

There HAVE been other LEGO documentaries in the past bunch of years so this one stood in the middle of the pack. The other toy episodes proved to be very good and informative. I mean who really knew anything about Hello Kitty's history until watching that episode.

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw the episode last night. Found that fact interesting as well. Though never stated to me as a child, I think it was always implied... I understood without the need of an explanation. There could be what we'd refer to today as fantastical violence (founded in historical fact of course), knights with swords, pirates with swords and muskets, wild west cowboys with pistols and rifles. But life-like violence of modern warfare was never a thing for lego. It wasn't a statement they ever needed to make. I love that. :)