New in-depth ultimate "LEGO Storage Guide" (Free guide!)

henrysunset

I'm Tom Alphin, author of The LEGO Architect book. For the past 6 months, I've been working on a new in-depth guide exploring LEGO Storage topics.

LEGO_STORAGE_GUIDE600.jpg

I'm pleased to announce that my LEGO Storage Guide is ready for people to enjoy (and give feedback.)

The guide is extensive, with 10 chapters and around 50 pages of free content:

LEGO-Organization-by-Size-of-Collection-

The guide is informed by detailed surveys of around 200 LEGO enthusiasts.  The data analysis helped me prepare LEGO storage recommendations based on the size of your collection and other factors.

The guide is well researched... 
It contains results from a detailed LEGO Storage survey with about 200 responses, learnings from interviews with top LEGO builders from around the world, and recommendations based on numerous articles, books, and forum discussions on brickpicker.com website.

LINK: http://brickarchitect.com/guide/ 

I hope you enjoy reading the guide, and I can't wait to hear your feedback! I will continue improving the guide in the coming weeks, and am tracking your suggestions for future improvements in the acknowledgements section.  

Sincerely, 

---tom

P.S. I'm eager to hear - what's your favorite LEGO storage product?  

Edited by henrysunset
  • Like 7

Hey Tom,

First off, BIG Thank you for this. I actually just heavily leaned on your blog posts on sorting (before this pdf was released). I am evaluating how to sort my collection and I used your contact sheet and will eventually make labels too.

Some feedback on this document:

• Love the storage options for each size of collection, but I have found that I am in a "large collection" category but don't really have the space to sort out as detailed as I wish. For that I have actually utilized the Sterilte containers with clip lids. https://www.amazon.com/Sterilite-19638606-Aquarium-Latches-6-Pack/dp/B004QJGW6C/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1509997919&sr=1-2&keywords=sterilite+containers&dpID=41Jw%2BpPXd5L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
  • Thes come in a variety of sizes and will house your labels well (might want to consider adding them as a possible option. They also allow for you to have a bag of "new" pieces in with the "used" lot to maintain separation. I have attached a photo of my setup so far, still haven't finished or labeled yet
  • Also LOVED the minifigure section as that is the next piece to figure out in my storage dilemma
  • One big point you may want to stress is just moving forward and not overthinking. I know you mentioned this problem in the beginning of your book and commented on how its a revolving circle of fear to start before having the right set-up, but I've found that if you just start small in your purchases, you easily can start to develop a strategy. I originally approached it as I need to make a large purchase for all of this and then just have it perfectly work, but it seems much more effective to start out with a  little and start sorting (I literally started with page 1 of your contact sheet) and then as I continued it helped me realize how I want to set up my collection and how many more bins I needed to purchase.

Anyways my random thoughts, overall excellent piece and you are a valuable resource in the world of Lego collecting.

Can I ask where you got the images of the bricks for your labels? I want to create my own but I don't own a brother label printer.

Thanks!

IMG_1090.thumb.jpg.f582d8f79b4de77a8a959d9443d1b9bf.jpg