Best Train starter set?

Sauromosis

I have no train set and I'm confused about which trains include the "power controls" and track and which trains are just sold without that stuff. I'd like to buy one starter set that has everything I need including a joystick and some track, maybe with a rechargeable power pack. Does the ghost train come with any of that and can you convert it to a "power" train? Will the Lone Ranger set have the power stuff?

The newer sets do not have power functions......you have to buy the power functions seperatly. Some trains are easier to add power to than others. Like the ghost train, it can be done but takes more in depth modifications. Rich B our resident train expert probably knows more than me and can give you some better advice. The lone ranger train set will not include power functions but I will come with tracks.

It seems like the Passenger Train, Cargo Train and Red Cargo Train came with everything, is that true?

Yes, from what I understand these three trains come with all the Power Function parts you need in order to power them up. However, the Power Function parts from one train are not always exactly same as the Power Function parts from another train. So for example, you may not be be able to use all of the Power Function parts from say the Passenger Train to power a Maersk Train or the Emerald Night train. Each train is a little different in which power function parts they require.

As I stated before, I'm 99.9% sure the Passenger Train, Cargo Train, and Red Cargo Train come with everything you need to power them up. The Emerald Night, Maersk Train, and the new Horizon Express are Power Function compatible, but do not come with the Power Function parts required to power them up (but the parts required to power them are listed on the front or back of the box so you know which items/parts to order). The Ghost Train and the new Lone Ranger Train coming out are not Power Function compatible (I know the Ghost Train isn't, and from what I've heard the Lone Ranger Train also isn't). You can still power them up, but you have to do your own modifying, and if you call Lego up over the phone they will not be able to tell you which parts you need to power the Ghost Train or Lone Ranger Train since these two trains are techinically are not made for Power Functions.

Hope that all made sense, let me know if you have any other Train questions. ;)

Which is the best value, out of the Passenger Train, Cargo Train, and Red Cargo Train, as in most tracks, pieces, train compartments, figs, etc.

But of course, we cannot forget the display-able-ness for any of these sets. Any ideas?

In my opinion the Yellow Cargo Train is the best of these three sets. The Red Cargo Train is my second favorite however it looks like it's pretty much EOL as it's been sold out on Lego shop at home for quite awhile. When it comes to display between these three sets I still like the Yellow Cargo Train most. Overall though I do not find any of these three to be great, or the best train displays out there. The Emerald Night, Maersk Train, and the old Santa Fe trains are my all time favorites in terms of overall display. Unfortunately they are all EOL and cost a pretty penny on Ebay or Amazon so one would have to spend some serious $$$ to acquire them. I would go for the Yellow or Red Cargo train if you're looking for a beginner train set with good value that includes a lot for the money.

Hi Rich,

Do you have a link to a beginner's guide of Lego train power functions, 9v, etc... An example, use this piece for this, this another piece for this, power functions do not require conducting tracks, etc...

For some reason, I am unable to find such a reference web page using google.

Unfortunately I do not have an exact or direct link to a beginner's guide on Lego Power Functions for trains or 9v trains. I do not believe a guide like this exists, although it would definitely be helpful. Two sites that have good information are powerfuctions.lego.com and railbricks.com. There are also numerous tutorials on YouTube that show various power functions and 9v train setups. Just like Lego investing, learning about various Lego train setups takes a lot of reading and asking questions. Check those two sites out and see what you can find. Always feel free to ask me questions about trains and there parts and I will try to answer them to the best of my ability.

Yeah I'm disappointed it's not compatible, but I'm sure the mod to power it up won't be too difficult. Looks to be a sweet set otherwise, and a nice looking steam engine train. It's still no Emerald Night though. I wonder if this train could hurt the value of the Emerald Night? People looking for a steam engine might just go for this new Lone Ranger steam engine rather than pay $200+ for an EN. The Emerald Night still blows this new Lone Ranger train away in my opinion. Others may feel different though.......

I'm surprised at the rather slow growth of the EN.......the MT seems like it will be the bigger winner of the two.

Yeah the EN has slowed down some lately, but it went from a retail of $100 to 150 really quick this time last year. The EN could still be purchased on ebay for $160-170 back in October (just 4 months ago). Now you will have a difficult time finding the EN for under $200, so it seems to still be steadily increasing. That being said I still think the MT could surpass it even though it had a higher msrp than the EN.

I basically view it like this:

EN current value is roughly $200, - $100 msrp = $100 over msrp as of right now

MT current value is roughly $190, - $120 msrp = $70 over msrp as of right now

So as of right now the EN is leading by roughly $30, but I definitely think the MT could pull ahead and hope it does (like how I made it into a race LOL). I love that the MT is consistently selling for $190-205 on ebay right now, hope it keeps climbing! Could we see mid $200s by the holidays?? As I alwasy say, time will tell ;)